Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Saying hello

Kerstenk
February 7th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I stumbled across this site with teary eyes as I was frantically googling what the lump between my cats shoulder blades could be. Naturally the news I found didnt make me feel any better. It wasnt until I ran across this site that I got any sense of relief so I decided to become a member.

I'm not exactly sure what I should post here so please forgive me if I ramble away. I'm 27, live in Washington State, and I am the proud and lucky friend of 3 furry little angels - Lily my 5 yearold Maine Coon female kitty, Mirko my 3 yearold tabby male kitty, and Tucker my 5 yearold male dog to which I have zero clue as to what potential breeds could have made such an amazing companion (I found him August 2009 at a reststop in the early hours of the morning eating garbage off the ground).

When I am not frantically googling and trying to self diagnose my pets before rushing them to a professional I like to spend my time backpacking, fishing, and coaching soccer.

What I am hoping to gain from this site is information and advice regarding my pets and how to keep them healthy and safe. After this current situation I am taking no more chances and educating myself as much as possible. I hope in return I can offer some advice and a "fellow shoulder" for anyone who might need it.

14+kitties
February 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome Kerstenk. It's very upsetting when our pets are ill. Hopefully you can find an answer soon for your kitty. :fingerscr
And when you have time - pics please. :thumbs up

I thought you had maybe done a new thread about your kitty's lump in the health forum. I see you didn't so ... has he been to the vet lately? Did he have any shots and if so where were they administered? Does he have a microchip? Is the lump moveable? Do you check it a lot throughout the day? (that may actually irritate it and make it worse). Has he been in a fight lately? The lump could be an abscess. There are so many possibilities as to what it could be. The best we can do here is suggest you take him in to the vet for a check.
Hope you stick around and let us know how it went.

Kerstenk
February 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Nope, didn't post a thread about my kitty's lump between her shoulder. I found the lump just this Saturday evening - first thing Monday morning I rushed her to the Kitty Cancer Clinic that thankfully is not that far from me.

She (Lily) received her rabbies vaccine between her shoulders and had a pretty bad reaction to it - couldnt stop scratching her back. I took her back to the vet and she recieved a Depo Medrol shot in the same place the rabbies vaccine was administered. I wish I had been informed about the risks involved with injecting cats between the shoulder blades - had I known I certainly would not have allowed it. In fact I kind of question getting my cats vaccinated year after year since they never ever go outside.

The oncologist took a sample of Lily's lump and said the results were inconclusive. The sameple has since been sent to OSU and hopefully I will hear something back tomorrow. I was told I was jumping the gun on taking her to a cancer clinic, but I'd rather play it safe and deal with my friends and family thinking I'm "nuts for spending so much on a cat."

I got her when I got back from a tour in Iraq and the lil' angel pretty much saved my life and got me out of my depressive spiral. I would be rightfully devestated if I couldnt return the favor should the situation call for it.

Thanks for your response - its nice to be part of a community that understands how special pets are. :)

Rgeurts
February 9th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks for your response - its nice to be part of a community that understands how special pets are. :)

Welcome Kerstenk! I don't think you'd find a more loving or devoted group of animals lovers (and all around wonderful people) than you have found here. They have truly helped me through some horrible times, and have shared the wonderful ones as well. There is a wealth of wisdom to be shared here!

It sounds like you are a loving mommy to your furbabies, and I wish you all the :goodvibes: and :pray:ers that the lump is not cancerous!

hazelrunpack
February 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the board, Kerstenk!

Hope the biopsy results are negative for cancer! :goodvibes: The wait is often worse than the results, which (hopefully) will be an anticlimax! :fingerscr

And when things settle down at home I hope you'll share some pics of your 3 furbabies!

BenMax
February 9th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the board and thank you so much for being compassionate and just plain wonderful with your furbabes.

Hopefully we can help you anyway that we can.