Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice on adopting

Britishvixen21
September 20th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Hey,

Wonder if anyone can help me, we have found and been approved for the perfect dog, and after the dust has settled and after reading some horror stories on hear i wanted some feedback from you more experienced owners. any feedback on takemehomerescue would be appreciated and any feedback to the concerns listed below.

one other thing they havent requested a home inspection or a meet before we can take the dog, and they want an up front fee of $50 when i sign the contract even though i dont get the dog for another 3 weeks? is that right and usual, im only asking as i have never adopted a dog in Canada.

Ok please tell me if this is ok? and if anyone has any info good or bad on this rescue

More about us:
Unfortunately we do not have a shelter. Our small volunteer group is
dedicated to helping small out of town pounds to save the lives of their
adoptable dogs. We do not own the dogs; the pound does.
Many of them are still at their faraway pound. This is the case with the dog
you are inquiring about; he is still at a northern Quebec pound, some 680
miles away.

Because we do not have a shelter and we have very few foster homes, we need
a commitment from adopters to take a dog out of the pound. However, the
return policy (see below) still applies and an adopter can still return a
dog for full refund within a week of adoption.

Should you wish to pursue this dog's adoption, please send us your
application for approval. He could come down on the next transport scheduled
for the long week end of October.

these are the fees do they seem high to anyone, and having to pay for nuetering i dont mind, but what if this dog came in neutered?

INCLUDED:

Dogs have their routine shots and dogs over 6 months have received the
rabies vaccine.
Dogs have received a double dose of wormer Strongid T against the common
round worm.
**Regardless, we highly recommend a vet stool check asap as some dogs may
have other microscopic internal parasites.**

A 2 months free basic Heathcare Insurance coverage through the Petfinder
website is included. Please see the Petfinder site for info.

ADOPTION FEES "CASH" ONLY:

The adoption fee is given entirely to the pound to cover the long boarding
necessary to adopt the dogs out so far away, the food, shots, double dose of
wormer Strongid T and other meds if necessary, and transport.

Pups 6 months and under and toy size mix or purebred:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Purebred: $250 + $50 transport
Mixed breed: $200 + $50 transport
**$50 extra if already spayed/neutered* (donated to our rescue org)

Med and large breed dogs 7 months and over:
-----------------------------------------------------
Purebred non altered: $250 + $50 transport

Mixed breed non altered: $200 + $50 transport
**$50 extra if already spayed/neutered** (donated to our rescue org)

Thank you for taking the rescue route,

Dont want to seem fussy but i want to know this is legit before i get to attached to my prospective dog.

The rescue is "takemehome" they are on petfinder
Edit/Delete Message

wAggie
September 21st, 2004, 12:25 AM
hmm... I'm personally not that familiar with the process...

but one thing I haven't heard is of an up-front deposit fee, even before you're "approved" to adopt the dog.

another unfamilar observation is the actual fees themselves. usually, from what I have see/heard, rescues/shelters dont discriminate btw purebred or mixed dogs. there's a set adoption fee and that's it.

here in Toronto, adoption fees for shelter dogs is roughly $180. this does not include the neutering/spaying. you DO get a $25 voucher for the procedure :) AND there are a good number of dogs which have already been spayed prior to their arrival at the shelter...

the $180 also includes a vet checkup, any meds/surgeries given during the shelter stay, and routine shots...

oh, and 3rd, shelters/rescues, I THINK, do nOt discriminate btw pup, adult, senior, small, big, xl, whatever. there is ONE set fee and that's it.

BUT dont strictly take my word on this, wait for some other replies to come trickling it. :D :o :p

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks for your input the more and more i think about it the more and more something isnt right!

wAggie
September 21st, 2004, 12:41 AM
yw :)

btw, where r u located? maybe someone here can help u out w a new fam member :D

also, check out all the "adoption" rooms on this board, they're EXCELLENT!

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 12:41 AM
No rescue will hold a dog if the adoption fee is not paid. This is because the person who wants it might change his/her mind at the last minute, and another good home might be missed while the dog is being held.

IF You are paying for the dog now, make sure you get a receipt that CLEARLY describes the dog you are getting. Make sure it's signed and dated, and the amount paid written also. In fact, what I would do is print out this dog's Petfinder page, and get that signed as well!!

300$ is a lot, and why are they asking more for purebreds?

The adoption fee should be the same for all adult dogs, even if the dog comes in neutered. Rescues don't charge higher for dogs who need expensive vet care, and should not charge lower for dogs who do not.

All that being said - this purebred, 1 yr old perfectly groomed Shih Tzu is in a pound in Northern Quebec???? Really. :rolleyes:

Bugsy
September 21st, 2004, 12:52 AM
I have yet to meet a RESCUE that adopts dogs out NON ALTERED :mad:

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 12:59 AM
Purebred non altered:

I didn't even see that part!! :eek:

Wow - I'll have to ask about this.

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 08:11 AM
So do you think this is legitimate or not? i dont know what to think.

LavenderRott
September 21st, 2004, 08:15 AM
I think you should keep looking.

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 08:23 AM
Waggie,

In answer to your question i am in Toronto, i dont have a car so i cannot travel far.
Thank you so much for all your advice guys, this forum is amazing.

I am a little scared of handing over a cheque for $300 when i have nothing to show for it, small claims is the only way il get this back if things go bad, and i cant afford to to lose that kind of money, money that would have given a home to a dog that REALLY needs it.

I think im going to keep looking as my instincts are telling me that this is not right! am i dont the right thing :confused:

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 08:24 AM
Its a little worrying that they only accept cash too!

Craig
September 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM
Please do not adopt from Take Me Home. I will not go into details on a public board but they drive out to a Quebec "pound" to bring in full litters of (often purebred) "rescued" pups...
Good for you for taking the time to investigate.

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM
Thank you, it proved my instincts are still going in the right direction! i thought it was strange that i didnt have to fill in a application more right about us! i didnt mentioned whether we had alleriges, and a home inspection was never asked for. this is what set me to investigate.

Thank you

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Its a little worrying that they only accept cash too!

Most rescues DO take cash only. This is because of people taking animals, and either stopping payment, or giving NSF cheques that rescue volunteers do not have the time or money to resolve. One bad apple spoils it for everyone.

I don't want to say anything here either, but read Craig's post carefully.

I emailed this rescue about adopting out dogs intact, particularly small purebreds who are perfect puppymill material. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

tyr
September 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM
This is for Craig -

Could you please go in on the details that you said you did not want to give in your previous reply. I think it would help everyone here to understand why you oppose if you would give the insight to your rejection of this Take Me Home Adoption centre. Plus I am really curious as I am sure others are.

BritishVixen
I would wait to put out money or to change your mind until you have heard back from LR. Since she has contacted them directly and further investigated for you she may have the exact answers to your concerns and questions - she is good at what she does. I would hold off until hearing what she has for you. If you do decide to keep looking their is a fabulous site called http://petfinder.org. Go to find shelter and put in your area and it will bring up a list of places to look, with pictures of rescues as well. I would still wait for LR's reply though before going through with any final decision.

Keep me posted!

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Im gonna hold off, however the women called me today and gave me the history behind the dog, but kinda differed from what she had told me before, i dont know if she has got wind of my investigating as she was a little stand offish with me and said if we didnt want him to jsut say as she had plenty of other offers!

But i just wanted to add the following as im finding this soooo frustrating!

K i need to vent right now out of pure frustration, and i know some of you may not agree with what i am writing but well im bloody pissed off!

Weve been searching for a dog now for the best part of 3 months, and to be quite honest im getting tired of it.

Its against every bone in my body to go and purchase a puppy from a store because of the horrific way in which most of them are born.

So i dedided that i wanted to rescue a dog. Now il give the fact that i am fairly picky in what i want well not really, i want a small dog, that doesnt bite, doesnt have too many special needs, and that isnt too old, ( i mean like under 7)

Ive been to every website there is in my area for rescue, and havent hd much luck, then low and behold we apply to adopt a dog from a local rescue organisation get approved then find out there a bogus set up, just a puppy mill in disguise. im heartbroken

then today i look on the toronto humane society website as i do every day, i find the perfect little mite, i skip off work early rush down and i cant see him, i see another little cutie, but he looks like hes gonna be big hes a pup and theres no info so i go to the adoption office for help.

Knock knock on the door
"enter"
" hi yeah wonder if i can have some help with a dog there no information on his door?"
Sighs heavily like im this huge burden "what dog"
"the little puppy etc etc"
"no hes on hold" turns away
"oh well ok thank you, by the way i applied to volunteer a while back any news"
"lady how would i know go to the front desk" another huge sigh and the door is slammed in my face!

So a little diheartened i go back into the dog room and there at the back cordened off i see her, the little tike and i lock eyes she looks at me like "for the love of christ please bail me outa here" shes the one, shes perfect, and we both know instantly we want eachother!

I rush to the front desk (the only place i can find someone to help me!)
"Hi please help theres a dog at the back cordened off can you tell me what her circumstances are, is she on the lost list, is she special needs. do you just not have room outside for her"
"There cordened off for a reason there not for adoption"
"well why not, is she on the lost list, how long do you keep her on that list for before she goes up for adoption"
"cant tell you that"
"why"
"BECAUSE I CANT, NOW IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE"

I was talked to like dirt by everyone there, now i know there understaffed, under a huge amount of stress and all the rest of it but heres my argument

1. i only want to give a dog a good home, now talking to me like S*** isnt gonna make me wanna me feel good about this experience

2. why is it a huge secret when these dogs are comming up for adoption, like hello give me a heads up and il be here the minute shes bought out and take her, surely thats less time for you to keep, feed, house, and care for her (all money to a charity)

3. i know your understaffed, but i applied to volunteer and do ANYTHING over a month ago, along with my two freinds who also filled in and handed over applications, if you that understaffed call me il be there in 10 minutes!!!!

Im sorry to vent the work that, that organisation does is fantastic, but for gods sake any company has to have a little bit of customer care charity or not!

i dont understand why they cant tell me about this dog, and when shes gonna be ready.

I cried all the way home at my frustration, so many dogs are being PTS and abused all i want to do is love one of them, why is that so hard for me to do?????
Edit/Delete Message

Spurby
September 21st, 2004, 05:48 PM
Good for you for asking about this rescue before adopting!

This one is easy really. NO REPUTABLE rescue ever adopts out an animal un-altered unless there is a medical issue that prevents this. I could go on, but that alone tells us they are not a "rescue" anyone would want to deal with and support. Rescues save dogs/cats from certain death, and help prevent the overwelming pet over-population by spaying and neutering all their placements, to not do this, is only adding to the problem.

wAggie
September 21st, 2004, 07:05 PM
I would DEFINITELY avoid THS, they have absolutely the WORST staff imaginable. I don't care WHAT their excuse is, there's PLENTY of other jobs that deal with HORRIBLE issues/situations. :mad:

ANYways - Britishvixen21

I highly recommand you check out www.petfinder.ca as posted earlier.

and check out http://www.torontodogs.com/ (got to "discussion" in the top right corner)

^^^^^^^^ that's where I met Honey's previous owner. :D :D

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Were actually going back tommorow as i cant seem to find the top dogs (pun intended :D ) name on the website, be assured i didnt get an A in debate for nothing, i was just a little perpelexed today, but now ive had time to digest the seriously disturbing treatment i had there today and im going back tommorow for a word!
Thanks for all the advice, i think i would have given up my search for the "One" a long time ago

BamaRama
September 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, British, be very careful of the THS as well. I adopted 2 dogs from them and they were so eager to adopt them to me that they didn't mention (nor did I ask, which is my fault) that they were extremely aggressive, and one of them even attacked my cat. So, they've found another forever home without any other pets, but it was just a hassle overall, so be very careful and make sure to ask about a dog's history as well if you're considering adopting from the THS.

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 07:50 PM
I don't blame you for being frustrated and angry. There is no excuse to treat you that way!! These people are being paid to do this, and if they hate their jobs so much, they should quit and not take out their misery on others.

However, trying to find a small, cute dog of a breed you are interested in that is not old or does not have any major problems is not easy. These type dogs are extremely popular and snatched up right away.

Now if you wanted a large, black Shep/Lab/Husky you would have your pick.

It might take you quite awhile to find the dog you really want, but in the end you will know you helped save a life and did not give your hard earned money to despicable puppy millers or BYBers.

You might want to think about a larger dog too, since many are very suitable to apartment life - more so than a lot of small breeds.

Edited to add: I did hear back from these people, as I have been in contact with them before about another dog - also a purebred in Northern Quebec.

What they answered does not make sense to me, and who ever heard of a pound charging 300$ for a dog???

Also, with all the mentions of double doses of Strongid T, I see no mention of heartworm testing, which would certainly be a necessity in Northern Quebec.

Spurby knows more about them than I do, and in fact is the one who alerted me about these people.

ThaiGhing
September 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM
They always seem to have alot of Jack Russel terriers, and smaller dogs. I was there tonight.. They had 3 jack russels, and a cattle dog that was 2 years old and the size of larger terrier. But keep an eye open there... they have smaller dogs alot of the time. Good luck.

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the heads up Thai but unfortunatly i do not drive and i cant get to kitchener, i think thats half my battle is that i cant get to these places.

As for the THS theyl get an earful tommorow, and im not leaving till i know what happens with ALL the dogs that come in.

How retarded is it that i have to "just keep checking" on the website, WHY CANT I JUST BE TOLD!!!!

anyways im still really angry about it, as for take me home rescue, ive told them im not interested.

Thanks once again for all teh replies

As for the larger breed, my landlord stipulates that we only have small dog, (and shes not a lady to argue with) and the other thing is that we had a really bad experience with a dog we adopted last year, it was a big border X and we werent told of its aggressive tendancys and it wripped my neighbour's sons arm to peices, it was both heartbreaking and expensive to all concernced, so i would like a small dog, one i could control a little better in a situation like that.

LL1
September 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Report it all you want to THS - nobody will care or call you back or do anything about it. It will fall on deaf ears

I don't have a prob with higher adoption for younger or purebred dogs - if they can get it and it helps the other dogs - why the heck not? Check out Hamilton SPCA fee scale! Pups are more than any purebred rescue I know and these are dogs who have not been fostered or checked out in a real home! And funding, vets on staff, hmm

How much does an animal cost from the Hamilton\Burlington SPCA?
Puppy 6 months & under $320 plus PST

Dogs $280 plus PST

Purebreds can be determined in rescues, never mind the obvious, some come in microchipped and/or tattooed to breeders and some come with reg papers to shelters, that should not surprise anyone in rescue

Purebred rescues adoption is $300 approx in Ontario, but anyone adopting out dogs that are not spayed and neutered, and it is not a major health problem stopping it, are NOT rescue.

Tiny purebred young dogs from Quebec - can you say puppymill? Ask Francine what her connection with the *pound* is - and maybe the pound location so Quebec people could go and have a look...............................

badger
September 21st, 2004, 09:28 PM
Good luck with that one. They don't have nearly enough inspectors in Quebec to look into the HUNDREDS of puppy mills that flourish here.

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2004, 10:36 PM
I believe the count is somewhere around 1500 mills, and 8 cruelty inspectors. Plus what is considered cruelty in other parts of the country is overlooked here.

If you're an animal in Quebec, don't even hope for protection.

Ask Francine what her connection with the *pound* is - and maybe the pound location so Quebec people could go and have a look

Have you asked where it is? I'm sure this pound doesn't need to ship purebred Shih Tzus to another province to rehome them, hmmmm?

Britishvixen21
September 21st, 2004, 11:35 PM
Unfortunatly i told Francine that i will not be taking the dog, too many things did not add up with this adoption and i decided to nip it in the bud!

and those statistics are disgusting!

Craig
September 22nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
tyr - I'm not going to list all the details as it would take me hours and it's not needed. The fact alone that a rescue adopts out unaltered dogs is reason enough for them to be avoided (as Spurby said).

But, if my other post didn't make it clear, they broker puppies. The O.S.P.C.A. (1 888 668-7722) is aware of this but it's legal so nothing can be done. There's a few of us that have been calling/writing into Petfinder in hopes that they will be removed so hopefully that will be taken care of soon.

It's sad that places like these give rescue a bad name. Hopefully nobody reading these posts about these rescues gets scared away from saving a dogs life.

Craig

LL1
September 22nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Definitely not - I was told her brother runs this pound (mill?).

I'm sure this pound doesn't need to ship purebred Shih Tzus to another province to rehome them, hmmmm?

tyr
September 22nd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Craig -

I did not want a list of all the details I just wanted a little more background information due to curiosity. I just wanted to know because earlier stipulations were made about it being a really bad place but not much info. I have been going around at my place of work getting people interested in saving an animal. There are lots of people interested in dogs - I just want to know which places are bad and why so I can steer people away from them. I got a lot of answers from all the other posts too. It seems to have quite the reputation for not being such a great place. I agree that animals should not come un-altered and that any shelter who sends animals out like this should be seriously investigated. THS should be looked into and stopped from all of its malpractices. If you need another person on-board to write letters and try to make a difference let me know.

I hope as well that this does not dissuade others from saving an animals life!

mastifflover
September 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Bottom line I have heard this so called rescue goes to shelter and HS and adopts the dogs and then sells at a much inflated price. I was also told they deal with puppy mills and BYB. They also do adoptions from tailgates on weekends. This was related to me by a person who did some work for them until they realized what was going on.

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
That's why it's so important NOT to walk away, but to demand answers, report the names of employee who mistreat clients and insist on being treated decently. If I ever ran into an employee like that at any humane society, you can bet I'd be knocking on the top dog's (no pun intended :D )door demanding and getting answers BEFORE I left the place.

It's TOUGH when you're left in tears by this "worker"... :(
:mad:

I'd -- ooooooooooh, I'm gonna keep quiet...... :mad: :mad:

she makes me SO angry, just remembering what happened...

:mad: