Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Runny eye?

sassylemon
February 5th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I know some people are aware of my situation but I am interested in some advice.

Anyways, I recently adopted a cat from the humane society, there was a bit of a cold running through at the time, and since she is older, they thought it was best to get her out asap. I still have her seperate from my younger girls. She sneezed for the first little while and then it seemed to have stopped. Once Doola squeezed by me, when I was going to feed the older girl and went to sniff her. I have been careful to wash my hands when going from one cat to another.

I wasn't home last night but, when I got home earlier today, I noticed that Doola was sneezing a fair bit. When I took a closer look, I noticed that one of her eyes is pretty runny....when she closes it, liquid (tears?) come right out of it.

Is that a cold thing that will go away on its own or should she be headed to the vet?

sugarcatmom
February 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Is that a cold thing that will go away on its own or should she be headed to the vet?

Unless a secondary infection develops (if the eye discharge becomes goopy and yellow or green), then there really isn't much the vet can do for her. Maybe pick up some L-lysine powder or capsules from a health food store and put about 500mg 2x/day in her wet food until the symptoms subside. Watch out in case her nose gets stuffed up and her appetite diminishes, as that can become a bigger problem.

sassylemon
February 6th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, I am going to keep an eye on her, she was being so sucky today at one point, that I picked her up and she sneezed right into my face, full face wash, not what I was expecting her eye is still runny pretty bad....