Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you talk to your dog?

Mirela
February 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I've had an interesting discussion with a co-worker today. His opinion was that one shouldn't just chat with the dog because that would be "confusing" to the pup. I tend to talk to him at times, let's say if I'm doing laundry or cooking.

So, what do you think? Do you talk to your dog only when you're training or giving commands?

Dee-O-Gee
February 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I praise and talk to Mollie and Gryphon all the time. :thumbs up

Sure it may sound like blah, blah, blah, "Go for a Walk!" to them but, I firmly believe that they sense, know and respond to a human voice at whatever command--with a corresponding tone. :shrug:

Etown_Chick
February 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I talk to Scruffy all the time. If anyone says their dog talks back, THEN they've got a problem.

Loki Love
February 4th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I often talk to Loki. I view it as another form of interacting with him :) Besides, I like to believe he secretly understands me ;)

Masha
February 4th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I talk to both my dog and the cats... i dont think he understand lol, but i think he senses the 'tone' and 'emotion' of the conversation because when i am sad and saing something about it he acts extra cuddly...

pattymac
February 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I talk to all my critters. If I have Bayley in the car and not my Mom I talk to her. The cats all get talked to, except when they're all asleep. Noella likes to answer, she's a very talkative kitten. I think they understand quite a few words. They all know their names, even Noella knows hers now. They know 'goodies' they understand 'that's it' although I don't think they like that one, cause they know that's it for the kitty crack! Just gotta teach Noella NO! She's very 'helpful'

Tundra_Queen
February 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I have always talked to my pets ever since I was small. I use to have a dog that knew over 100 words and was bilingual. LOL My dogs and cats like it when I talk to them and the cats talk back to me. :D

Love4himies
February 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I talk to my cats all the time and I think they love it :lovestruck:. Although they don't know what I am saying, they seem to be calmed by my voice.

Larca
February 5th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Yup, I sure do :D

And really I think it has even paid off a little, although they cannot converse back themselves, they do have quite a vocabulary(words, phrases they understand and react to) and I know that it is my talking to them that contributes to their knowledge of the human word. But my reason for talking to them is simply because they like it, Especially Lars, he wants to be included in every human activity that takes place around here whether it is sitting on the couch watching TV with us or or going out to get the mail, he likes feeling that he is one on us and I think his being talked to just confirms to him that he is one of us. Its really cute because when I am talking to him..well I swear he is a much better listener than my own husband is, he is so attentive and certain key words like "walk" or "Goku"(that is our cat) he will tilt his head when he hears those words. Maybe that could be just selective hearing but he does listen very well and I can tell that he really enjoys being talked to :)

chico2
February 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I talk to my cats all the time,they know what many words mean,words like din-din,treats,go out and of course I luv you.

Hubby used to make a weird voice,kind of baby-talk to Rocky and Rocky would meow really happy and dance around hubbies legs,it was so cute.

They know their names and always come when called,cats are sooo much smarter than people give them credit for:cat:

Oh yeah,I say goodnight to Rocky and kiss his cedar-box every night and if I forget,I get out of bed and say I'm sorry baby,mommy loves you and misses you.:(

14+kitties
February 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah,I say goodnight to Rocky and kiss his cedar-box every night and if I forget,I get out of bed and say I'm sorry baby,mommy loves you and misses you.:(

:cry: :grouphug: chico - I love you. :grouphug:

mastifflover
February 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Without question I always talk to Clark

14+kitties
February 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Yep, certainly do. I talk to every single last one of the kitties too every day. Why would you not? :confused:

exkalibur
February 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Whenever Chief misbehaves and end ups being "my dog"...DW gives him "the speech" :D I'm sure he has an idea about what she's saying because he gives her the side tilt look and the "but..but..mommy... I can do this with daddy" .

Mirela
February 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Whenever Chief misbehaves and end ups being "my dog"...DW gives him "the speech" :D I'm sure he has an idea about what she's saying because he gives her the side tilt look and the "but..but..mommy... I can do this with daddy" .

:) Yeah, I know what you mean... divide and conquer with cuteness, right?!

Well, the way my coworker explained it, his opinion was that one should talk "to" the dog, as in train, give comands, correct or praise, etc...when needed.
But, not talk "at" the dog; like, let's say - I'm folding laundry and I chat, telling my dog about my day. He said that by doing that the dog will get used to the sound of my voice as "background noise" and not pay attention/listen/obey when needed.
It makes sense somehow, but I don't know...I really don't think it's true.

CsqU4r3d
February 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
All day long...I have always talked to all my critters...I believe they enjoy the sound of human chatter...even if it sounds like blah blah blah to them...

Masha
February 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I tell Jermy about my day sometimes or about upcoming trips if he is coming with us... maybe its weird but he seems to pay attention.

Longblades
February 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Of course, and the cats too. Most of my cats have been quite talkative and answer back, the dog only sometimes. But as for not talking to your dog, I read a training tip that claimed something along those lines and it made sense to me. I think it's in my Good Owners, Great Dogs book.

It says, don't use your dog's name, unless you have something meaningful to say to him. For instance it was OK to say, "Dog, supper." But readers were urged to keep the dog's name out of the conversation when they were telling their returning spouse what good things the dog had done that day. So that would be, say, "Honey, the four footed creature who lives with us brought the newspaper in this morning." You can see how the first statement has clear and good meaning to the dog thus supposedly reinforcing his desire to learn his name. While the second statement would mean nothing to the dog. Made sense to me and we tried to do it. Except of course, for us in particular, the word "newspaper" now has meaning for our dog too. LOL

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Some of ours are rescues and some we've had from pups. We talk to them all, but I know that the ones we've had the longest understand more. Ember is the best at English...I've never counted the words he knows, but it must be close to 100. And Macie, one of our rescues, knows the least--she isn't the one that's been here the shortest, but she was the one neglected the longest before we got her and she just doesn't connect to us in the same way as the others--with her it's almost as if she's not listening at all sometimes, but even she will surprise us once in a while with something she's picked up along the way. :D So yes, we talk to them all the time, and they're learning from us all the time, whether we're actively training them or not at the time.

TeriM
February 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, I talk to all of my animals regularly. According to my dog trainer I actually do talk to much sometimes :o. When training I do need to work on being more concise instead of rambling when I am praising. It does make a difference in being able to "mark" the behaviour you are trying to develop or reward.

Jenn~n~Luke
February 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Oh yes. I talk more to Luke than I do anyone lol. And believe me, he knows ALOT of what I'm saying. I'll be chatting on the phone and he will react to things I'm saying, for example. I tell Patty I have to go cook dinner at Mom's...he gets excited and wants to go right then. I talk to him about pretty much everything. Just a few minutes ago I told him about how annoying it is to have those survey people calling all the time. I think he agreed with me, after all, they DID interupt our snuggle time lmao. Of all the dogs I've ever had or known, he certainly has the largest vocabulary of words that he understands..not just commands, every day conversation words.

luckypenny
February 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
What do you mean they don't talk back :confused:? They "talk" to us all the time, they just don't use the human language :p. Does anybody here talk "dog" :D?

I ramble sweet nothings all the time to our dogs. I'm sure they realize the tone of our voices and it reassures them when we are happy. Like TeriM, I do have to be careful when asking something specific of them. If not, they tend to tune me out just like our human boys do :rolleyes:.

BenMax
February 7th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Of course I speak to all my dogs and cats. They may not understand me but I usually get the head tilt followed by cuddles so whether they understand me or not, they do respond. I also have different voices for different messages. Some more annoying than others.:)

Melinda
February 7th, 2011, 09:51 AM
doesn't everyone who loves their fur, scaled, feathered or hairy babies??

BrownEyedGirl
February 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I talk to Izzy all the time, she doesnt always listen howver :laughing:

She knows HUNGRY (or maybe it's me who knows when SHE says hungry) ;) she knows treat and she will sit on command.

I'm sure she knows stop that but chooses to ignore it ;) Thats what I"m choosing to believe anyway.

Oh she also knows "its time for bed" and will go with me to the bedroom, most times anyway!

Mirela
February 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Of course, and the cats too. Most of my cats have been quite talkative and answer back, the dog only sometimes. But as for not talking to your dog, I read a training tip that claimed something along those lines and it made sense to me. I think it's in my Good Owners, Great Dogs book.

It says, don't use your dog's name, unless you have something meaningful to say to him. For instance it was OK to say, "Dog, supper." But readers were urged to keep the dog's name out of the conversation when they were telling their returning spouse what good things the dog had done that day. So that would be, say, "Honey, the four footed creature who lives with us brought the newspaper in this morning." You can see how the first statement has clear and good meaning to the dog thus supposedly reinforcing his desire to learn his name. While the second statement would mean nothing to the dog. Made sense to me and we tried to do it. Except of course, for us in particular, the word "newspaper" now has meaning for our dog too. LOL

Yeah, I think he meant someting along this idea.
It does make sense and, on the other hand, it's good to know that I'm not "ruining" my pup by chatting "with" him when I feel like it. ;)

Luvmypitgirls
February 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I talk my dogs' ears off!:o
Seriously if I see something or hear something on tv that upsets me or something I always talk to the dogs about it.
They may not know what I'm saying but they know when something has upset me, they come and nuggle up next to me, or if something makes me happy and I'm telling them they get all "prancy " and excited.
Sometimes, I tell them my deepest secrets, cuz at least I know they won't be going and blabbing.:D
Jersey does answer me sometimes, for instance if I look at her and say "Puddin' are you just the prettiest pittie girl ever to walk the face of the planet"? She will stick her nose way up in the air and make this adorable grunting noise and then put her ears forward as if reinforce the fact that yes she is the prettiest pittie girl lol.:D

doggy lover
February 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
always, and always will:D

Mirela
February 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I talk my dogs' ears off!:o
Seriously if I see something or hear something on tv that upsets me or something I always talk to the dogs about it.
They may not know what I'm saying but they know when something has upset me, they come and nuggle up next to me, or if something makes me happy and I'm telling them they get all "prancy " and excited.
Sometimes, I tell them my deepest secrets, cuz at least I know they won't be going and blabbing.:D
Jersey does answer me sometimes, for instance if I look at her and say "Puddin' are you just the prettiest pittie girl ever to walk the face of the planet"? She will stick her nose way up in the air and make this adorable grunting noise and then put her ears forward as if reinforce the fact that yes she is the prettiest pittie girl lol.:D
:)
Thanks! This really brought a smile on my face on this dreary, rainy, blaahhh Monday morning .

Goldfields
February 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
The problem is that both hubby and I talk to the dogs but seeing I do the most with them and he doesn't use exactly the same terms I do, he has zero control. His "shift" to get one out of his way, is my "Move" for example. His "Come on, inside" is my "in the kitchen", the latter excites them no end , it's where all good things happen. :) Basically I treat them as short four legged people, we talk a lot and I also talk to those who have gone on ahead when I'm out in my dog cemetry/angel garden. It lets them know you love them.

dENNIS tEEL
February 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
being disabled and with my dog nearly all the time,i talk to him constantly.
he's almost 3 years old now and understands complete sentences by adjoining smaller bits that he understands.. for example,if i throw his toy into the kitchen by the fridge and he didn't see where i threw it,i'll say."it's in the kitchen by the fridge"..he immediately scampers to the exact location and finds his toy/he understands simple words like walk,run,fridge,car,tree,around(as in "around" the car)/ when he tries to get in on the driver's side ,but i intend to put him in via the passenger's side i'd say "no,other side"/he caught on just after a couple times of this.in the past two,almost 3 years that i've had him,he's learned so much that i'm truly amazed.he knows if i leave to go somewhere and i say "i'll be right back" that it's not the same as "ill be back later". if tell im "i'll be right back" he doesn't show any tension with my going out the door.he'll just lay there and look at me like ..uh...okay..bye..but if i say "i'll be back later" he'll lift his head and stare at me as if to say .."say what!!

Floppy Dog
February 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
We talk to the dog and cat all the time. The difference is when we're just "chatting" at them, we use their nick-names and a sing-song, baby-talk tone of voice. When we actually want to "communicate" and give "commands", we use their proper names and normal or deeper tone of voice.

The other thing we do is use spoonerisms when we want to talk about someing that has "meaning" for the animals. So "walk the dog" becomes "dalk the wog" and "tucker the dog" becomes "ducker the tog". Switch the first sound of a word and your dog is completely lost.

MuskokaDogLover
February 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
All of the time and my cats too :) <3 They listen I swear...and they like it too :)

jassy3399
February 23rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
We've always talked to our pets. They certainly seem to enjoy it, since it's another type of attention. Heck, the dog we had when growing up could spell because we talked to him so much! He'd gotten to the point that he figured out that w-a-l-k and e-a-t and c-a-r meant that he would get to enjoy those things. My boy will sometimes talk back, a low rooing sound, and Gizmo stares at me like he's waiting for something and he'd like me to catch on to what that is and provide it.

Honestly, we even talk to the deaf dog, it's become such a habit.