Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal Prolapse

SillverWillow
February 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hi all, I am posting to see if anyone has any information on curing anal prolapse.. heres a brief ( as I can be) history on our Oriental Shorthair, Rabbit..
We adopted her last November, shortly after we brought her home she had diarrhea which we attributed to stress, it went away and then she was constipated. We did not change her food and kept her on the high quality dry the breeder said she gave her. One afternoon I noticed something on her bottom scratched me and it looked like a scab around her anus, I made a vet appointment for that Saturday. The next day I went to NY with my daughters art class and by the time we got home that night she had the prolapse bright red irritated..I called and rescheduled vet appt. for the next day..the vet said anal prolapse due to the swing between diarrhea and constipation..we have since then been in and out of the vets office and have tried purse string sutures, limited ingredient diets etc. It's now almost 3 months later and we got her BMs regulated but the prolapse just isnt going away.. they are having us try Preparation H at the moment to see if we can shrink the tissues but so far no luck!

Does anyone have any experience with this? We are at our wits end! I feel so bad for her.. her tissue is red and irritated, she leaves spots of blood and bodily fluids and sometimes feces everywhere.. I was hoping there was something we have not tried!

Thanks,

Sillver