Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Official response from the Mayor of Whistler

Rgeurts
February 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
I was SO angry over all that had happened that I emailed the Mayor. I'm sure that office was flooded with people like myself. They actually responded, which I didn't expect. I think it's a load of crap personally... but I hope they do take this event seriously and, in the very least, revoke the business licenses that are within their power to do so.

Sent: February 1, 2011 1:32 PM
To: Mayor's Office
Subject: Slaughtered sled dogs

I would like to voice my concern regarding this matter. My husband and I travel frequently and were actually considering Whistler as a late spring/early summer destination this year, but will not be making that trip. I cannot tell you how disgusted I am. Not only has this company been allowed to remain in operation, but the person who commited these evil and cruel acts is now allowed to collect compensation for the stress he caused himself?? I find the whole matter completely and utterly appalling. I don't care how bad he feels, or how stressful this has been on him. HE is the one who commited the acts of violence, hence he SHOULD feel bad and stressed. But one thing he should not have is compensation, paid by the taxpayers.

The fact that this happened almost a year ago, and the company is still in operation is appalling. I know that I am not only speaking for myself, but several others that I know, when I say Whistler will not be a destination unless something is done about this and the appropriate people are held accountable. Not a slap on the wrist, but criminally.

Sincerely,

Robyn Geurts

Dear Robyn:

Thank you for you concern and e-mail.

Whistler is a responsible, caring community. Animal welfare is very important to us, we have a large dog population, pet-friendly programs and facilities, a local animal welfare agency and shelter, which is non lethal, conservation programs for wildlife, also non lethal.

Our community has been equally shaken by these allegations.

We understand completely your feelings and concern and we appreciate you’ve taken the time to express them. We will continue monitor the situation.

I have attached a letter that the Mayor has written regarding this subject.

Yours truly,

Donna Wango

Executive Secretary

RESORT MUNICIPALITY OF WHISTLER

4325 Blackcomb Way

Whistler, BC V0N 1B4

TEL (604) 935-8103

FAX (604) 935-8109

E-MAIL dwango@whistler.ca

Municipal Website: www.whistler.ca

Official Community Plan Updates: www.whistler2010.com

Whistler was the proud Host Mountain Resort for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

Below is the attached letter that was sent with the response:

Rgeurts
February 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Ok, the letter didn't upload properly so I have just copied and pasted:

Letter from Resort Municipality of Whistler Mayor Ken Melamed
Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) Council and staff are shocked and saddened by the reports of sled dog culling that allegedly took place outside of the Whistler municipal boundaries in April 2010. We were made aware of the allegations on Monday, January 31. Since then, this has generated a massive response from our local community, visitors, and many others. On behalf of Council and staff I want to acknowledge everyone that has expressed concern around this tragic and serious issue.
Whistler is a responsible, caring community. We have a highly animal-friendly culture, which is demonstrated through our large dog population, many pet-friendly programs for the community and visitors, and the outstanding work of our local animal welfare agency Whistler Animals Galore (WAG). Whistler has an exceptional reputation for offering safe, well-managed activities for our millions of annual visitors. Our community has been shaken by these allegations.
The sled dog matter is under investigation and many reported claims have not been confirmed. The RCMP investigation is expected to last several weeks, while an SPCA-driven investigation is also underway.
While all of the facts around this issue are not yet available, Whistler Council believes that the situation has brought to light a need to look at formal guidelines and regulations within the dog sledding sector. The RMOW supports the task force announced today by Premier Gordon Campbell, which will review the regulation of the industry and the alleged incident, and help to prevent future incidents. The review will include the following for the entire dog sledding sector across the Province:
-A review of responsibilities, regulation and policy governing the dog sledding industry.
-A review of the response by all agencies involved, upon being made aware of the dog killings.
-Any further issues that arise during the course of the review.
The RMOW has received many questions regarding revoking the business license of the operator. Outdoor Adventures at Whistler and Howling Dog Tours Whistler Inc. do have municipal business licenses for their activity booking office, which is located in Whistler Village. We are awaiting more information from the RCMP before considering any action regarding the companies’ business licenses. While the office is in Whistler, dog sled operations—which are not permitted within Whistler—take place outside of municipal boundaries and are licensed in the Squamish Lillooet Regional District.
Until there is further clarity around allegations, Tourism Whistler has suspended the sale of Whistler Outdoor Adventures activities via Whistler.com and the Whistler Visitor Centre.
Again, on behalf of Council and staff I would like to thank everyone who has expressed their concern around this disturbing matter, and who want to affect positive action. The RMOW will continue to monitor the situation and will report back with any new information.
Sincerely,
Ken Melamed
Mayor
Resort Municipality of Whistler

Dog Dancer
February 4th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Hey Mr. Mayor - actions speak louder than words. Get to it.

Rgeurts
February 4th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Personally, I fear it's the typical politicians response. All words, no actions. The part that gets me is this:

"The sled dog matter is under investigation and many reported claims have not been confirmed"

What's to be confirmed? The person who DID it is the one making the claims. It's not a third party allegation Mr. Mayor...

:shrug::loser:

Love4himies
February 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Personally, I fear it's the typical politicians response. All words, no actions. The part that gets me is this:

"The sled dog matter is under investigation and many reported claims have not been confirmed"

What's to be confirmed? The person who DID it is the one making the claims. It's not a third party allegation Mr. Mayor...

:shrug::loser:

Glad to hear you are not standing by waiting for somebody else to demand politicians to take some action :thumbs up. It is the "squeaky wheel that gets the grease" ;).

Just a quick defense on behalf of the mayor's response: Just because somebody claims something is true, doesn't mean it is. All allegations have to be investigated and there must be evidence to substantiate them. Maybe this guy lied to get Workers comp :shrug: (not that I personally believe it is a hoax, but you understand that not everybody's word can be taken as the truth).

To me, this should be a provincial issue. IMHO, NO commercial business should be allowed to own 300 dogs, or even 100 dogs. I don't think any good comes from a business owning so many.

Rgeurts
February 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you are not standing by waiting for somebody else to demand politicians to take some action :thumbs up. It is the "squeaky wheel that gets the grease" ;).

It's going to take MUCH more than one voice. Hopefully there is enough outrage that something will be done. And I'm sure there is because there is an actual task force that's been set-up and BC is now considering changing the laws pertaining to dog sled companies :thumbs up

Just a quick defense on behalf of the mayor's response: Just because somebody claims something is true, doesn't mean it is. All allegations have to be investigated and there must be evidence to substantiate them. Maybe this guy lied to get Workers comp :shrug: (not that I personally believe it is a hoax, but you understand that not everybody's word can be taken as the truth).

Ya know... I completely understand what you're saying, and it's true. I did think that maybe he exaggerated a lot of it to gain workers comp. And maybe that is what happened, who knows :shrug:
When something gets to me as much as this had, I tend to not be very rational, and I know that :o
I know they have to investigate. I just hope that once there is a bit of evidence, the right people will pay the price. I also realize it is not the town of Whistlers fault. I do feel bad for a lot of the business owners there because they are definitely going to suffer. But until the city revokes the business license (which is within their power to do), they are going to be boycotted. It's like our house that we bought... the city failed on EVERY level when it came to inspections. I won't get into the whole story here, but they tried to take us to court for safety code violations that they were of aware (but were never disclosed to us), and that were present when we purchased the home, because we are now on title. It was due to their negligence. The builder had several issues but they decided not to hold him accountable as he no longer owned the home, and they let him continue to build in the city because he made them a lot of money. That's what it always comes down to.

To me, this should be a provincial issue. IMHO, NO commercial business should be allowed to own 300 dogs, or even 100 dogs. I don't think any good comes from a business owning so many.

I couldn't agree more. There's no need to own that many dogs. And if it is allowed, they should have to have some type of reserve fund with a specific minimum amount at all times in the event something like this does happen so the dogs can be properly taken care of instead of slaughtered and mutilated. It has become a provincial issue. But I still believe the municipalities should not continue to allow businesses like this to remain in operation, but they will for the pure and simple fact of money. :(

Love4himies
February 4th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Excellent idea of having a reserve fund :thumbs up. You may be one voice, but that is the one voice you have control over and speaking up for change is positive step in the right direction.

Don't get me started on builders and inspectors :rolleyes:. St Albert was the only place we lived in that the building inspector actually did his job very well.

Rgeurts
February 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Don't get me started on builders and inspectors :rolleyes:. St Albert was the only place we lived in that the building inspector actually did his job very well.

The one inspector here did his job very well. He wasn't one of the inspectors on the job when the house was built, but was the inspector checking in to our complaints. In fact, he's the one that brought our attention to all the code violations and helped us fight the city. Unfortunately, he was fired. The city manager said he quit, but the inspector and I are still friends to this day. He is still trying to take them to court, but it will be a long battle for him. The things DH and I have learned regarding the amount of corruption at the city level is just sickening.

Luvmypitgirls
February 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Did the Mayor miss the part where it was reported that the mass grave has been located, is this not evidence of the wrongful murder of these poor abused animals that did nothing but give of themselves for the humans to profit?
Allegations my butt Mr.Mayor....It happened quit being a typical politician an revolk the license of this company and don't allow them to set up again under another name...that would be a start.

Etown_Chick
February 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
There are more allegations than whether or not he killed the dogs, which he admits doing:
-that he asked the humane society for help twice and was turned down
-that some dogs were badly injured and tried to run away
-some dogs were shot, some had their throats cut
-the number of dogs killed
-that he approached vets for help and was turned down
-that he approached the Sleddog Association and was refused help
People are believing everything they hear, and I suspect the story grows with the telling. They always do.
Regardless of how this turns out, my sympathies are with the dogs, and only the dogs.

Soundy
February 5th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Allegations my butt Mr.Mayor....It happened quit being a typical politician an revolk the license of this company and don't allow them to set up again under another name...that would be a start.

It's nothing to do with being a politician and everything to do with remaining within the law.

What happens if they revoke OAW's (the umbrella company) business license, then it's later found that they're not culpable? The municipality could then be sued for their loss of business, and potentially huge punitive damages... and further than that, other businesses would be discouraged from settling in the community for fear that they could be unfairly penalized in the same way.

They CAN'T simply shut a business down because of someone else's unsubstantiated claims.

I know everyone wants to see people hang for what's happened... but you can't just put nooses around every neck in sight and then hope the innocents are still kicking when you cut their ropes later.

Luvmypitgirls
February 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
It's nothing to do with being a politician and everything to do with remaining within the law.

What happens if they revoke OAW's (the umbrella company) business license, then it's later found that they're not culpable? The municipality could then be sued for their loss of business, and potentially huge punitive damages... and further than that, other businesses would be discouraged from settling in the community for fear that they could be unfairly penalized in the same way.

They CAN'T simply shut a business down because of someone else's unsubstantiated claims.

I know everyone wants to see people hang for what's happened... but you can't just put nooses around every neck in sight and then hope the innocents are still kicking when you cut their ropes later.

Ohh excuse me.....firstly, the noose analogy really is in poor taste, sorry. Secondly I get what your saying, but I guess my emotions got the best of me, yes I want everyone involved to pay for what happened, and as far as I'm concerned OAW is culpable, they made money on the backs of these dogs, therefore they owed it to the dogs to make sure that they were properly taken care of, whether they sold or euth'd or whatever. Far too often Humans, claim no culpability when it comes to the abuse and terror we subject other species to, but they sure like spending the money they make off of them.
Do me a favor tell the 100 dogs that were shot and had their throats slit, and left to die a slow and agonizing death that their mass grave is an "unsubstantiated claim".
The people that made a buck owed it to the dogs to make sure their welfare was a priority, they failed.
If other businesses don't set up shop there because legal action is taken against those that should've cared for the dogs, then I say those are businesses that people shouldn't support in the first place.
Just my two cents...right or wrong...it's the way I feel.

Love4himies
February 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
But the PROOF has to be there, not just a claim, or rumours[/COLOR]

The people that made a buck owed it to the dogs to make sure their welfare was a priority, they failed.
If other businesses don't set up shop there because legal action is taken against those that should've cared for the dogs, then I say those are businesses that people shouldn't support in the first place.

The mayor/city can only act in accordance with the law, and if the law states you can shoot your own dogs, then it can be done. As we all know our animal protection laws are just not good.

Soundy
February 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Ohh excuse me.....firstly, the noose analogy really is in poor taste, sorry.
Maybe, but it's accurate.

Do me a favor tell the 100 dogs that were shot and had their throats slit, and left to die a slow and agonizing death that their mass grave is an "unsubstantiated claim".
Have you seen this grave? Have you heard anything from the investigating officials to confirm these details? So far as I've heard, EVERYTHING is based on ONE man's statements to Worksafe BC... statements that COULD conceivably have been exaggerated to aid his claim.

So yes, they are UNSUBSTANTIATED until we hear otherwise.

It's nothing to do with legal action being taken, and everything to do with UNFOUNDED, PREMATURE legal action being taken. See "unsubstantiated" above. Why would anyone want to set up shop knowing that just a whiff that they MIGHT be party to an UNPROVEN scandal could shut them down? Because at this point, that's all we're talking about.

And that's just it: the RCMP, the municipality, and yes, even the SPCA, have to work from FACTS, not emotions.

Other people going purely off emotions have been calling OAW, screaming at the girls who do nothing but answer the phones, even sending death threats to employees who have NOTHING to do with the operation of the dog sledding business. Worse, companies that have NO CONNECTION to OAW, but merely share a similar name, have also received threats and nasty emails. THIS is the danger of engaging the heart without also engaging the mind.

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Gee, don't you just love that word, "allegedly?"

Rgeurts
February 5th, 2011, 07:08 PM

:thumbs up

cassiek
February 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Other people going purely off emotions have been calling OAW, screaming at the girls who do nothing but answer the phones, even sending death threats to employees who have NOTHING to do with the operation of the dog sledding business. Worse, companies that have NO CONNECTION to OAW, but merely share a similar name, have also received threats and nasty emails. THIS is the danger of engaging the heart without also engaging the mind.

I'd love to read the proof that OAW has been receiving death threats. I wouldn't doubt it, but in regards to what has been said previously in this thread about "someone else's unsubstantiated claims", I'd love to see the proof that they are in fact receiving calls/e-mails/etc. of this nature. :shrug: IMO, there are too many humans in this story crying about their hardships and how we should be feeling sorry for the HUMANS involved in this, when it is the dogs who deserve our prayers.

As Etown_chick stated, my sympathies are only with the dogs and no one else. I realize that there are many legalities to this situation, and I have no doubt that this tragedy, along with many others concerning animals, will end up being washed away and we will hear very little more. IF anyone is found to be held accountable, I doubt it will be more than a small slap on the wrist.

cassiek
February 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
THIS is the danger of engaging the heart without also engaging the mind.

Oh, and on another note... while it is of course important that we engage our mind in such situations and indeed verify the truth, it is our EMOTIONS that we engage in that drive us to care about things such as puppy mills, battery cages, veal crates... oh and 100 dogs that were SLAUGHTERED INHUMANELY UNJUSTIFABLY by Whistler in 2010. Without our emotions, we wouldn't strive to achieve any type of animal welfare regulations or aim to provide all animals - both companion and livestock, with the decency and respect they deserve.

Again - the mayor used the word "CULLING" of the sled dogs - it was a mass KILLING.

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately, though, Soundy is right. In our world, legalities rule. This is why in some jurisdictions you go against your instinct to protect yourself for fear of being perceived as using untoward force against an assailant, or why you have to be very careful of what you say or print if you don't have concrete proof. As much as the mayor may have an opinion about what occurred and may decry it personally, he's bound by rule of law to be very cautious in what he says until the investigation is over. To come out with a stronger statement at this point might actually jeopardize the case because it could be seen as evidence of bias in what should be an impartial investigation and (hopefully) trial...

Love4himies
February 5th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, though, Soundy is right. In our world, legalities rule. This is why in some jurisdictions you go against your instinct to protect yourself for fear of being perceived as using untoward force against an assailant, or why you have to be very careful of what you say or print if you don't have concrete proof. As much as the mayor may have an opinion about what occurred and may decry it personally, he's bound by rule of law to be very cautious in what he says until the investigation is over. To come out with a stronger statement at this point might actually jeopardize the case because it could be seen as evidence of bias in what should be an impartial investigation and (hopefully) trial...

Exactly. It is unfortunate, but those same laws do try to keep innocent people out of prison.

TeriM
February 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM
A Canadian government task force was appointed to investigate the slaughter of 100 husky dogs used during the 2010 Winter Olympics, as well as the sled-dog industry.

The dogs, which pulled tourist sleds in the Canadian ski resort of Whistler, were reportedly killed by one tourism company worker using a shotgun and a knife. Injured dogs tried to escape and one survived to crawl from a mass grave a day later.

"No creature should ever have to suffer in the manner that has been reported, and we want to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again in our province," British Columbia premier Gordon Campbell in a statement.

The province appointed a panel headed by a veterinarian to investigate the two-day slaughter last April.

A criminal investigation was announced Monday by Canada's national police force and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

In addition to the slaughter, the British Columbia task force will report on the regulation and oversight of the dog sledding industry and the role of government agencies including the worker's compensation board, which did not communicate the case "to appropriate authorities." The board's report is due in March.

Here's hoping that they actually get some results from this :fingerscr.

Soundy
February 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Yes, actually... it's the cornerstone of another important concept, "innocent until proven guilty."

Oh, and on another note... while it is of course important that we engage our mind in such situations and indeed verify the truth, it is our EMOTIONS that we engage in that drive us to care about things such as puppy mills, battery cages, veal crates... oh and 100 dogs that were SLAUGHTERED INHUMANELY UNJUSTIFABLY by Whistler in 2010. Without our emotions, we wouldn't strive to achieve any type of animal welfare regulations or aim to provide all animals - both companion and livestock, with the decency and respect they deserve.

And again, another danger of engaging the heart without the brain: lashing out at the wrong party. WHISTLER had nothing to do with this.

How many people here actually heard/read the details of the report that were released in the news, and how many are basing their opinions on second or third-hand statement by other emotional people?

When CKNW broke the story the other day, they read some pretty graphic details from the Worksafe report... did anyone listen to that, or is everyone just laboring under the assumption that ALL the dogs were mutilated and chopped up into little bits or something?

Soundy
February 5th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'd love to read the proof that OAW has been receiving death threats. I wouldn't doubt it, but in regards to what has been said previously in this thread about "someone else's unsubstantiated claims", I'd love to see the proof that they are in fact receiving calls/e-mails/etc. of this nature. :shrug:
Well, that was the statement made by a police spokesman, that such threats had been received and were being investigated... I would assume he'd have proof (ie. copies of such threats) before making such a statement to the press.

cassiek
February 5th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Sorry I should have clarified I meant that it happened NEAR Whistler, of course Whistler as a town did not commit these horrific crimes.

cassiek
February 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
How many people here actually heard/read the details of the report that were released in the news, and how many are basing their opinions on second or third-hand statement by other emotional people?

FYI, the facts surrounding this tragedy that I have come to know are from what was released in the news. I take it with a grain of salt... because, well, it is the media and heaven knows that they routinely have incorrect or inaccurate information, so take it as you will. But my opinions are from what I know that has been released.

Again I still stand by this...while it is of course important that we engage our mind in such situations and indeed verify the truth, it is our EMOTIONS that we engage in that drive us to care about things such as puppy mills, battery cages, veal crates... oh and 100 dogs that were SLAUGHTERED INHUMANELY UNJUSTIFABLY by (NEAR) Whistler in 2010. Without our emotions, we wouldn't strive to achieve any type of animal welfare regulations or aim to provide all animals - both companion and livestock, with the decency and respect they deserve.

I understand that there are many legal details surrounding this case, many of which we may never know. Still, I think its important and valuable that we, as a society, show how we will not stand for this type of abuse towards our companion animals, as Robyn did by sharing the letter she wrote with us in the first place.

I pray for these pups that had their lives ended in such a horrific manner. May they R.I.P.

I have nothing further to say on this issue, except send my prayers for these pups. :pray: :rip:

Rgeurts
February 6th, 2011, 12:43 AM
One thing that gets me is the word "allegedly". Everyone is saying that nothing can be done to the person (or persons) who "allegedly" committed these atrocities. However, he is able to collect taxpayer money on the premise that he "allegedly" killed these innocent souls in such a cruel manner. Please... it's shear hypocrisy. If it was good enough for the WCB review panel to take heart in his words, to believe him and rule that he was indeed entitled... then it should, in the very least, be good enough to hold him accountable for those actions. And the company, don't get me started. They are far from innocent. Do any of you know how hard it is to get WC? 60% of claimants are denied. They had to truly believe what he said to be the truth and there are reports that the company did NOT dispute his claim. In fact, they confirmed it! If "allegedly" works to allow his claim then it should work to hang him by his words.

Luvmypitgirls
February 6th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Maybe, but it's accurate.

Have you seen this grave? Have you heard anything from the investigating officials to confirm these details? So far as I've heard, EVERYTHING is based on ONE man's statements to Worksafe BC... statements that COULD conceivably have been exaggerated to aid his claim.

So yes, they are UNSUBSTANTIATED until we hear otherwise.

No, I haven't seen the mass grave, but it was reported that the mass grave was found. It was also reported that the dogs may be unearthed for evidence, but then they reported that they have enough evidence without disturbing the gravesite.
So, in my humble opinion IT IS NOT UNSUBSTANTIATED, if the grave has been located.The laws do nothing but protect animal abusers, it's been proven in the courts time and time again, and perhaps that is where my emotions come into play.
Of course I am emotional about this case, I work in rescue, and the needless "MURDER" of 100 dogs is something I don't take lightly.
The laws only serve to protect the animal abusers, not the animals. The people responsible for this atrocity, will no doubtedly be given a ridiculously low fine and a slap on the wrist, if that,
Fact remains, those dogs suffered a horrible death, and more than likely nobody will be held accountable and it will happen again and again, and from reports this isn't the first time this company OAW has been involved with poor practices in relation to how they treat their dogs.
My opinions are not based on any emotional person or persons, but by what I've heard reported.

Rgeurts
February 6th, 2011, 01:56 AM
This isn't just affecting BC. It's affecting Canada as a whole. I have seen SO many posts from all over the world holding Canada to blame because of the laxed animal rights laws... or lack thereof. I'm hoping and praying that the suffering and deaths of all those poor souls will eventually serve some purpose and possibly make the federal government step back and take a look at how the country, as a whole, is being seen in the eyes of the world. And before anyone says anything... I know there are a lot of countries that are far worse for animal rights, but right now, people aren't thinking of anything other than what has happened here. But if enough people in the world community exert enough pressure... who knows, maybe something good can eventually come from this.

Luvmypitgirls
February 6th, 2011, 03:25 AM
This isn't just affecting BC. It's affecting Canada as a whole. I have seen SO many posts from all over the world holding Canada to blame because of the laxed animal rights laws... or lack thereof. I'm hoping and praying that the suffering and deaths of all those poor souls will eventually serve some purpose and possibly make the federal government step back and take a look at how the country, as a whole, is being seen in the eyes of the world. And before anyone says anything... I know there are a lot of countries that are far worse for animal rights, but right now, people aren't thinking of anything other than what has happened here. But if enough people in the world community exert enough pressure... who knows, maybe something good can eventually come from this.

Amen Rgeurts! Well said.:)

mastifflover
February 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Maybe all the bad publicity from this will help make them take this seriously and finally adapt some laws with serious consequences for animal abusers

Winston
February 6th, 2011, 07:00 AM
They had a big Rally in memory of the dogs that lost their lives! apparently various city's are planning memorials!

:candle::angel2:

Love4himies
February 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM

We could only hope so :pray: