Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

frustrated

hedgiemama
February 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
My roommate. she is here to be a vet also.

But her view on dogs and shelters and pet stores bugs me.

She thinks getting a puppy from a pet store is acceptable. i dont in the least. i have explain to her a thousand times that they are from mills and such, i think she is changing her point of view on that.

Her mom is looking to get a new dog. They wont adopt from a shelter because they think they are all sick with parvo and such. i explained they are up to date on their shots and neutered and spayed..no go.

And the "designer breeds" she thinks that they are great. i told her to go to the shelter and she could get a dog with that mix but that brings us back to the whole dogs from the shelter are sick...

sooo frustratinggg!:frustrated:

14+kitties
February 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Send her to some of these sites. She may change her mind. :rolleyes:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75084

hedgiemama
February 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
i just looked at your post after i posted mine. thanks:thumbs up

Larca
February 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
If your roommate wants a dog that is not sick, I would not suggest she go to the petstore to get one then, I know plenty of cases where people who have lost their petstore acquired dogs to Parvo and other such illnesses and most petstores don't come good for it, they may claim there is a health guarantee but they always manage to find a loophole so they don't have to come good for it. Believe me, I worked in a Petstore in the past and I have many horror stories I could tell. As much as I hate seeing dogs in them, I would never get a dog from there. Her best bet would be to get a HEALTHY dog is from a shelter. They are all vet checked, vaccinated and often already spayed and neutered, well at least that is the deal with the shelters in my neck of the woods :D

And as for Designer dogs, I am very fond of mutts too, but I would never pay 800-1000 for one when there are plenty enough of them who desperately need homes. If I wanted a pricey dog with a fancy name, I would go to a real breeder and get a already established dog where its inherited traits are known. You never know what you are getting with designer dogs as no two are alike. They are cute yes, but so are the orphan dogs that don't really stand much of a chance to have a family of their own to love and care for them.

Etown_Chick
February 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Pet Store health horror stories abound. If she wants to see a healthy shelter dog, she should come for a walk with Scruffy and me. Our dog park is filled with them. Purebreds are definately the minority in our world.