Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I is Sad

Shaykeija
February 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
Miss Annie is old, really old. The vet estimates her age at about 15 or 16. She is healthy but stiff legged. Not in any pain. Eats good, poops good, but I see her failing. She has pooped in her bed a couple of times and fallen over. I just clean it up and tell her it is OK. I love her, but I know she is on borrowed time now. Sigh, I have decided that after all my pups have gone to the bridge, I will still run Shaykers Haven but I will only rescue and re home. My heart cannot be broken anymore, it hurts too much. Miss Annie has been seen by the vet and her heart is failing. My wish is that she goes peacefully in her sleep and here at the only home she has known that loves her. We don't take her out for long walkies anymore, the cold makes it hard for her to breathe, so hubby takes her outside and Annie pees really fast and bolts back to the house as fast as her little legs let her. We have pee pads all over the place and she uses them. I am just making her comfortable and enjoying every day I have with her. But I is sad, because I only have had her for almost 3 years...not long enough....:(

cpietra16
February 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
Shaykeija, Annie came into your life not hurt you, or make you sad. You have given her so much in so little time...be proud and happy that she goes to the bridge knowing how much love she had. Be happy that she has had an amazing life with you, short but full of happiness. you are an angel and she knows it...probably why she does not want to leave yet...she loves you as much as you love her...bless your heart. Each time you open your heart to a dog in need, your heart grows brighter full of their love...continue:angel2:

erykah1310
February 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Shaykeija, I fully understand ywhat you are feeling, it is not easy and after a while yes it can just be too much to bear.
You have done a wonderful job and truely changed the lives of many and it is perfectly alright to take a break and continue helping in another way. Out of no where another will snatch your heart and you may just be ready again.
I always say to people that my 2 rescues that stole and broke my heart, I only had the pleasure to share the last 2 years of their lives with, but in those 2 (ish) years I am quite sure we made their lives a whole lot better and more bearable (Puppys pain under control) I didnt think I could open my heart after them again but I was wrong.
Hang in there and keep Miss Annie comfortable and keep showing her all the love in the world and know you are making a big difference in her life by doing what you do.

diandpat
February 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Awww, I can totally empathize with you Shaykeija :( Ginger too is well over 16 and we realize that she too will soon run out of racetrack. :(

You have changed so many lives with your love and caring and understanding of all these poor cast offs that you take in. Of course you would feel like you have nothing left and the heartache is unbearable.

Whatever you decide next will not change what you have already done and what you have already done is truly amazing.

I hope Annie stays comfy and happy for a good while yet and that you can enjoy everyday you have.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

BenMax
February 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I can so relate to you. I still have my foster shih zsu Spike who is also terminal. He has been with me for 10 months and no one has even inquired about him.

My BF is so upset about Spike. He always says 'Poor Little Man'. I say 'NO'! Lucky little man. He is enjoying the time he has to the fullest. Afterall, he has no idea that he is on borrowed time so we must accept and keep him as happy and comfortable as possible. He is a treasure and I hold him very dear to me. It is the quality of life that counts, not the quantity.:)

Your heart may be heavy..but your little ones heart is full.

ancientgirl
February 3rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I don't even want to think of the time when this will be my life. I thank heaven daily mine are all still young, but as time goes on I know they will not be young forever.

You're an amazing person for being there for her.:grouphug:

chico2
February 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Awww Shay,so sorry you are sad,be sure Annie is not,she's with the mom she loves so very much..
It is so very difficult to see your baby fail and have to face the fact his/her time is coming,it breaks your heart and it sometimes feels it will never mend..
But for now,little Annie is still with you,take it a day at a time and I hope there will be many wonderful days yet:grouphug:

Chris21711
February 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hugs to you Shay :grouphug:

When Cocoa passed away in 2009, Hubby and I decided that we would foster dogs and not get anymore of our own.....then Jack strayed into our lives, the Daughter moved back home with Iggy and Twitch (:cat:)....that made 4.....then there is a little thing known as "foster failure"...you know what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

You just never know Shay :grouphug:

dmc123
February 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Watching a pet we love get older, and start to fail is soooooo hard. Just know you are doing what you can and that you love her.

There is never enough time with those we love.

Take comfort that many of us have been where you are, and we understand.

Just do what you can - she will know she is loved.

Diane

Tundra_Queen
February 4th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Shay, I'm so sorry to hear about sweet Annie. :( I know how much u and hubs love her and how much she loves you. It is always awful when our babies start to get sick and there is nothing u can do for them. :( Give her a hug from me and Mindy and try and stay strong. :grouphug: