Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scattered ashes

dmc123
February 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
We held a little ceremony today for Rudy. He would have been 15 today, but we lost him a mere 11 weeks ago. It seems like years, not weeks.

We scattered his ashes along the fence line, where, in his younger days, he ran up and down - patrolling his lot. He was the king of the dog lot.

Simple statements were said - like "how could it be only 11 weeks" and "there is such as hole in our lives - where you once were".

Rest in peace my boy, Rudy and run along the fence with us watching.

Has anyone else had a "ceremony" like this?

Diane

Winston
February 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Diane that is a nice way to honor Rudy! I think it depends on who you ask as to what their ceremony is....I honor Bomber every day as he looks over us in the living room and he never went outside so it seems appropriate. I am also very selfish in wanting him with me always? sounds a little crazy but I can touch the urn and talk to him.....

Rudy did have a wonderful long life with you! :candle:

dmc123
February 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
Winston, I thought about "keeping" him in the urn, but the cremation facility warned "this is not a permanent" type of container. So, I chose to scatter him where he loved to run, and keep the container -a more permanent reminder - that little urn will always be with me. When I look out the window at the dog lot, perhaps I will see him running and hear him barking.

My - my - how they leave a hole in our lives.

Diane

Love4himies
February 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM
dmc, I have Snowballs ashes on a shelve in the front foyer, he always like to greet everybody who came into the house.
:grouphug: to you.

BenMax
February 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
DMC I am so sorry to hear that Rudy passed. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.:grouphug:

RIP Rudy. Run free.:candle:

DMC - when my sister's dogs passed they had them cremated. Two holes where dug, ashes released there, and then beautiful trees planted. The trees of course carry the names of her beloved dogs. They continue to grow and blossom.

14+kitties
February 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Beautiful Diane. I am sure Rudy would have loved that had he a choice. :grouphug: My pets that have passed on are all buried around a pine tree close to the sanctuary. I am hoping to make a small garden for them this year. I talk to them all the time when I am out there. :cloud9:

dmc123
February 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks to all -

Diane

luckypenny
February 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
It's one thing I'll always regret, not bringing the ashes home.

I think the way you chose to celebrate Rudy's life is wonderful, dmc :grouphug:.

:candle: Rudy

dmc123
February 2nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
aww thanks, luckypenny - but I owe having the ashes to my roomie, she said of course we want them back, I wasn't sure I did at the time. I am glad I agreed with her.

Diane

TeriM
February 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
It's one thing I'll always regret, not bringing the ashes home.

I also regret that I never brought the ashes of Bud (cat) home when he passed many years ago :(.

Lucy's ashes are currently here in our house sitting on my desk in my office. I occasionally pat the box and say "hi baby girl". This summer I will make a short trip to Long Beach (Tofino, BC) with a close friend who lost her dog about 4 years ago. He was the first dog Lucy ever met and they were good buddies until he passed. Together with my friend we will release the two friends together into the waves. We have had many wonderful times at that beach. Camping and beaches were the places/times when Lucy was happiest and the beach brings a wonderful sense of connection and peace to me as well.

I considered burying her ashes at our home but we will likely move from this city in the next ten years. I will always have a love for the beach so that enables me to visit her there. I also have a paw print and lock of fur that I will keep here.

I love what you have done with Rudy :grouphug:.

doggy lover
February 2nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
It's nice when you can keep our loving pets with us in some way, DMC that is a great way to remember Rudy running a long the fence..
My dog Travis that passed 7 years ago is buried at our cottage, now with our cat that passed this summer. My daughter made a headstone for him and I have a concrete dog on his grave. So he shall always be remembered in our lives as this too is where he loved to be, sometimes I still I believe that I see him there standing at the top of the hill. Now we have to make a headstone for Patches too. Yes they leave a large void in our hearts when they are gone.

dmc123
February 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
I've been thinking and realized that scattering his ashes along the fence has actually been a good thing for me, almost a relief. As much as I liked having his ashes here in the urn, it was a little disturbing for me. I feel better having done it this way - and it does feel like if I look out the window - I will see him out there. He loved that dog lot.....no question about it.

Diane