Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has Anyone Heard about Pet Zoom Sonic Pet Trainer

Aussie_Girl
January 31st, 2011, 05:48 PM
So I was talking to my girlfriend and she was telling me about this thing she has that she uses on her dog.
Its called a PetZoom Sonic Pet trainer, apparently it transmits a noise that the animal does not like and makes the dog respond quickly?
I have never been one for shock collars and things to harm an animal.
Does anyone know if this is dangerous to a dog? or cat? to me if its loud and ear piercing it would hurt the animal, but she says it doesnt!!

Any input??...???

millitntanimist
January 31st, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure how uncomfortable it is for the dog but I am always in the anti-aversive camp (regardless of how painful/frightening). They do not teach your dog what behaviors are acceptable, they only associate pain/fear with certain stimuli and it is very hard for you to control exactly what those are (unless you are incredibly precise).

For example, the dog is barking at a person on the street and the sonic trainer is activated. The dog will most likely associate the appearance of the person with the aversive, not their barking - thus, the dog may become aggressive towards strange people because strangers mean bad things.

They also do not give your dog any idea of what you want them to do instead, you are only encouraging the absence of behavior - which means that your dog will cease offering new behaviors to you for fear of punishment.

I've plugged this before but I think this website has a really good article on using punishment, regardless of type. Maybe you could point your friend this way?
http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/implications-of-punishment.php

It may be true that the sonic trainer might not actually be painful, but it must be uncomfortable if it is able to interrupt behavior for any length of time.

Choochi
January 31st, 2011, 08:10 PM
Sounds more like a stupid gimmick to me, some one trying to take advantage of dog owners desperate to change annoying behaviours.

I think you would get more of a bang for your money if you just hire a trainer.

Even if this operates on the idea of not causing as much pain as an ecollar could, that's a moot point to me. Just like an ecollar in the untrained hands, it will likely cause more harm then good if you don't understand the theory on how to change the dog's behaviour using such a tool (even if it comes with some crappy 20min DVD). If your timing in using it is off by even a second, your attempt at training your dog may prove to be completely counter productive. Far more evil then good can come from this.

And chances are, that what ever annoying behaviour you feel you have run out of options to change, would likely be easily modified by an experienced trainer with the use of nothing but treats, verbal commands, and most important thing of all in dog training: correct timing.

tenderfoot
January 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
There are also gimmicks that dispense a treat for the dog when you activate it. It is amazing to me how distant the person is willing to become in order try to train their dog. Why do people need to remove themselves from the very natural process of raising a good dog?

Melinda
February 1st, 2011, 06:57 AM
my sister uses it on her three yappy puppy mill ankle biter dogs.....at those times I honestly feel sorry for them, the minute she hits the button all 3 drop to the ground and one almost screams......I refuse to bring Brina over to her place anymore in case it hurts her. I try to teach my sis how to properly train her dogs but its like talking to a brick wall, her grandchildren no longer go over because the dogs bite them steady.

Aussie_Girl
February 1st, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either..
And my friend said it works, her dog(pug) back right down when she presses it..So I dont really think its a gimmick, she says it works on him.. and if she shows it to him he backs right down... so clearly he is scared of it..
how ppl can make money off animal abuse amazes me.

BMDLuver
February 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
Training through fear, great! :wall:

Aussie_Girl
February 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM
Wonderful isnt it???
People like this shouldnt own animals. if they dont have the time..

BMDLuver
February 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Wonderful isnt it???
People like this shouldnt own animals. if they dont have the time..

I have a mill dog who almost has a heart attack when something bangs on the floor. I couldn't imagine putting a collar on her when she barks insanely while I take my other two out...... she's a crested so I'm afraid these temps are just too much for her..... she goes out about 80% of the year as she loves the outside. Just a raised voice terrifies her so what damage would this gimmick do? sigh

Choochi
February 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about it either..
And my friend said it works, her dog(pug) back right down when she presses it..So I dont really think its a gimmick, she says it works on him.. and if she shows it to him he backs right down... so clearly he is scared of it..
how ppl can make money off animal abuse amazes me.

I don't think any one is saying it's a gimmick because it doesn't actually cause discomfort to the dog. I'm sure it does. It's a gimmick however because it causes discomfort but teaches the dog nothing through it. People who buy crap like this expect the one pill, just press a button solution for solving their pets' issues. Things don't work like that. These dogs end up being subjected to discomfort out of their owners' frustration. That's not training.