Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To Abort or not to

Thelma56
September 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I have a cat in my care and she is a month into her pregnancy and i've been told to end it, but is it good for her and will it change the way she is. she about 9m or 10m old and this her first litter.

I'm not sure what to do and how to go about this and I need some advice from other people who know more about this and not only that but would the babies still be alive since the home she can from, her owner was abusing her.

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Thank you for taking this poor baby in!!

As someone who has done it, I have to say YES - definitely abort her. She is too young to have a litter and may not be able to feed them, and shelters and rescues are truly overflowing with unwanted kittens already, and it will help no one and nothing to allow yet more kittens to be born.

I detest aborting cats, but the ones who are already here need every chance they can get. And if you don't get every kitten spayed and neutered and into responsible lifetime homes,(not easy!) the problem will just be perpetuated.

You will be doing this not only for this cat's own good, but for all the future generations that could result from this one breeding.

wAggie
September 20th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I would agree to abort as well.,... the kitten is too young herself...

pxxiegirl
September 20th, 2004, 11:18 PM
My cat will be having the procedure done this Friday. I'm making an effort not to feel her belly so I don't get too sad. My cat is about 2 years old but she is so malnurished. The vet said she might not be able to handle delivering. Even if her kittens were to be healthy, I wouldn't be able to find homes for them and they could end up contributing to the overpopulation of unwanted cats.

Thelma56
September 22nd, 2004, 09:25 AM
Thank-You for thoses who left messages, the cat had the kittens but they weren't alive, she had to be at lest 6-7weeks and the vet is going to give her a week of rest before he fixs her.

Lucky Rescue
September 22nd, 2004, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry the babies died, but the poor mom was just too drained to carry them, and probably wouldn't have been able to even feed them. Thanks for taking care of her.