Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brain Games

hedgiemama
January 30th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I am looking for a few different brain games for Enzo to keep him busy through out the day, even after a long walk or a trip to the dog park i feel he needs a little bit more.

we have a kong, we fill it with peanut butter and freeze it so that entertains him for a while.
We have played a bit of hid and go seek, which he loves cause he always gets pats and food when he finds me.
We also have a couple different skineez that i will hide ( while he waits ) and then i tell him to go find them.

Oh and of course just some training in general.

Any other suggestions?

14+kitties
January 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I think Allymack was doing those things with him at her home? Maybe you could ask her what she did to keep him occupied during the day. That would make him feel even more like he has not lost his home. I know (if I remember correctly) that allymack had an agility table set up in her garage or some type of agility course. Maybe you could set up a smaller scale one in your moms' home? :shrug:

Thanks again to you and your mom for taking such a great stand and helping out a friend. :grouphug:

hedgiemama
January 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM
yah she did mention about the agility, we just dont have anywhere to set one up right now, but she said come spring if we still had him she would give us the agility things to set up in our backyard.

I was just trying to find new ones to give him a bit more challenge, but maybe a few more similar ones to get him comfortable with it would be good.

rainbow
January 30th, 2011, 07:53 PM
The hide and seek game is about the best. Or giving names to her toys and teaching her to bring them to you. If you google canine brain games you will probably find lots of websites with more info.

Please don't completely fill the kong with peanut butter ....even the all natural stuff should only be given in small amounts and not daily.

tenderfoot
January 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Keeping a new dog busy is so much more then a filled kong or a run in the park. Engaging his mind is the key. How big is this dogs vocabulary? He can have a 30-40 word vocabulary in a matter of days. If he already has a big vocabulary then double it. Teaching creates a healthy relationship of teacher and student, leader and follower. Every action he can perform has a word and hand signal to go with it, every toy in his box has a name and every room in the house has a name.

Structure and a balanced relationship is going to help him adjust to his new environment faster.

The more you engage his mind the calmer he will be and mental workouts are just as tiring as physical workouts, but you have the added benefit of learning.

Agility is a great outlet for learning and physical exercise, but it isn't the only way to engage him. You should be able to engage your dogs mind any place you are. Make an agility course out of a childrens playground, go for a walk in the woods and use the trees, bushes,and rocks as an improptu course.

Rgeurts
January 30th, 2011, 08:34 PM
HM, we are dealing with the same thing with Nookie. Dr.s Milan and Marsden suggested taking small treats and hiding them all over the room. They said start with out in the open, easy to see (and smell) places and then start making it harder and harder. They said that "tracking" is a great mental workout, and as long as the dog is food motivated, like Nookie, it can go on for quite a while. They also said to make little obstacle courses with chairs, leash him and walk him through in a specific pattern, like figure 8. We haven't tried the obtsacle course yet, but hide and seek with the treats has worked well. He also has a Kong Wobbler which was great until he learned which side to lay it on (the side with the hole) and then when he couldn't get more out, he learned to unscrew it:laughing:

hedgiemama
January 30th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Please don't completely fill the kong with peanut butter ....even the all natural stuff should only be given in small amounts and not daily.

nope just a little bit for flavor and put a little treat in there.

The running through the woods is a really good idea, tenderfoot, ill definitely do that the next time im home.

Funny you mentioned the hiding the treats around Rgeurts, i actually did that today he caught on to it after a couple rounds and loved sniffing out the treats.