Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid question of the day......

Daiana
September 20th, 2004, 05:48 PM
As always, I'm here to ask a dumb question. It's more just a curiosity, but one for which I think I know the answer but I'm not sure.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the answer as to why a dog will act like a bull after peeing or pooping (you know, like a bull about to charge?) They dig their feet into the grass and scratch the dirt. Am I making sense? I think it's a territorial thing, to show that they're the boss of this particular patch of grass, but I'm not sure. I just notice that my little guy does it after he's done doing his business and sees someone (or another dog) approaching or even one who is just standing across the street.

I'm sorry for the really lame questions, but I always have been such a curious soul! :o

lezzpezz
September 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
It just so happens that I am currently reading a chapter of a book on dog behaviour called "Dog Behavior: Why Dogs Do What They Do" by Dr. Ian Dunbar. Fascinating reading!

In the chapter on "urination", it says: " Some dogs may growl when they encounter urine from strange males. After uninating in the open, it is not uncommon for a dog to vigorously scratch the ground, so as to provide an additional visual cue to draw attention to the odor."

Interesting stuff. It's all about communication. Hope this answers your question.

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 06:18 PM
helps to spread the scent, wild dogs do it too on the edges of their territory. all i know is it is annoying and embarassing when she is out the front tearing up someones lawn after a pee, really annoying. :D

moontamara
September 20th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Casey does it after a BM too (just the dirt nearby, thank goodness!!!)-- that's how I know when he's really done :o

Goldenmom
September 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
They do this, I believe, to make like they are "covering" it up. Just like cats do in the litter box, some dogs do this in the yard. All 3 of my girls do this.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I think it is so funny to see dogs do this... I've always thought of it as they were covering it up too.
Lindy used to do this all the time... he would do it so fast sometimes he would fall!

wAggie
September 20th, 2004, 11:25 PM
They do this, I believe, to make like they are "covering" it up. Just like cats do in the litter box, some dogs do this in the yard. All 3 of my girls do this.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

yes, dogs may even do this after deficating as well.

dont be surprised if they dont do this EVERY time though :)

debanneball
September 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Years ago, I had a cat, that after he pooped in the litter, he would run wild throughout the house for about a minute. My thoughts on that reaction was that he had stinky poops, but I guess all animals do something or another after their bathroom breaks. :eek: And, while we are on silly topics, why do dogs circle before lying down to sleep. :rolleyes:

krdahmer
September 21st, 2004, 11:42 AM
Years ago, I had a cat, that after he pooped in the litter, he would run wild throughout the house for about a minute. My thoughts on that reaction was that he had stinky poops, but I guess all animals do something or another after their bathroom breaks.

It is so funny that you would mention that...I was thinking of my mom's cat who does the exact same thing! She makes her 'deposit', then runs like heck to get away from it!!!! She in fact jumps out of the litter box so fast that often a small piece that may be stuck to her fur usually follows her out and gets dropped on the floor!!! :eek: And for about five minutes after, it's like a little kitty grand prix.... speeding around the carpet, sliding on the tiles and using the wall to make her corners!!!! (She also has her grand prix's when the weather is bad and she can't go outside or if my parents' errands run too long!!! crazy girl! :rolleyes: )

BamaRama
September 21st, 2004, 12:13 PM
LOL! Kitty grand prix! Now THAT is funny;)

My other 2 cats did this when they were kittens, and now my new kitten does it...they scratch the ground after they're finished eating wet food, as if they're trying to cover it up...?

Anyone know why? I always wondered!

debanneball
September 21st, 2004, 12:20 PM
Hey Bam and Peanut....did you see my avator, for which I truly thank you. :D

BamaRama
September 21st, 2004, 02:33 PM
Yes! I did notice, it's looking pretty spiffy! I wonder who did that for you?!! :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
September 21st, 2004, 03:19 PM
they scratch the ground after they're finished eating wet food, as if they're trying to cover it up...? One of my cats scratches the wall after he's done eating... I wish I knew why this was... he's making a freshly painted wall look horrible!!
And yes he did this before it was painted! :D

debanneball
September 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM
I've noticed that when my cat's don't like their food, they scratch around the bowl, spill the food...even the water. It's liek they are burying it... :eek:

GsdDiamond
September 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM
One of my cats scratches the wall after he's done eating... I wish I knew why this was... he's making a freshly painted wall look horrible!!
And yes he did this before it was painted! :D

Sorry to hear about your wall. :(
Members of the cat family, in the wild, will bury their food to stash it for later, so others can't find it and eat it. Perhaps this is what your cat is doing. :confused: Kind of like a throwback to times past.

Sneaky2006
September 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Silly cats! That could be it... but then again he is a very scratch happy cat... after he uses the litter he will scratch the wall/mat/side of box for nearly 5 minutes sometimes... which I don't mind cause it's the basement wall.
I think he has issues! lol

chico2
September 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Cat's are funny creatures,mine always go around in a circle pawing whatever they decide to sleep on,I think it's a way for them to make it softer.
Rocky will not eat his wet food anywhere near Vinnie,I have to take his food-bowl into the computer-room and he eats on a table at the window,after he's done he'll cover the bowl with the cloth it's standing on and he's good at it :D Cats are nibblers and I am sure he does it,so Vinnie(the little piggy)won't eat it and he can have some later.
I bought these big Rubbermaid storage-boxes($6) for the cat-litter and they are great litter-pans,higher sides,to keep the litter in the boxes,because my cats used to just about empty the boxes on the floor and leave a trail of litter all the way upstairs.
My Rocky fooled around with a bee in the grass today and boy,did he dance.... :D He got stung in his pawpad and if anyone ever tried to remove a stinger from a cats paw,you know what I went through,but I got it :D

melanie
September 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM
charlie never does it after a bowel motion (gotta love that word :D ) and never does it in her own backyard, only when she pees on the street :D crazy babies :D

wAggie
September 21st, 2004, 06:41 PM
I've noticed that when my cat's don't like their food, they scratch around the bowl, spill the food...even the water. It's liek they are burying it... :eek:

I never thought it was a method for burying the food!!

I thought they did it bc they weren't hungry and bored w the food... hehehe

so they enjoyed knocking it over... :p

krdahmer
September 22nd, 2004, 12:35 AM
My Windy always scratches the mat just below her crystal water bowl before she drinks...my dad saw this today and said maybe it is because she is seeing her paw all distorted by the water and crystal. I had never thought of that....I just assumed it was because she is cooky! :D

Well she is still cooky, just the water scratching may make sense now! :rolleyes: