Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

please help me with a kitty

greyraven
September 20th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I have recently decided to take on a cat from a friend of mine. she found it as a stray and in the 3 months she had it. it had problems with it's eye, it is watery and has kind of yellow gunk. she had been treating it with eye drops. and it went away for about a week but it is back again.

I had a cat many years ago that had this problem, not sure what it is but i remember that they had me make a home flush with either peroxide or salt water but i can't remember. Does anyone know or heard of this? I would like to help this kitty if i can. she is a lovely cat and very friendly. the eye doesn't seem to bother her one bit but it is rather yuckie. If you know of something i can use to flush her eye out with please let me know. We simply can't afford to take her to the vet at this time.

thanks

GreyRavenundefined

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Do not put anything in this cat's eye - especially hydrogen peroxide - since you don't know what the problem is. It may the result of a respiratory infection which may require antibiotics, or it could be a sinus problem. Just wipe it regularly with a moistened cotton ball or soft cloth. Did the other owner take her to the vet for this? What did the vet say is the problem?

You could probably call this vet and say that you now have the cat and you need more eye drops.

I just have to ask - why would you take a cat if you if you knew you can't afford medical care for it? Was the original owner going to dump it?

It would probably be best to get the eye treated and try and find her a permanent home.

chico2
September 20th, 2004, 04:26 PM
It is really getting tireing hearing people say they cannot afford a vet,this is a problem that could probably be easily fixed,it will not cost $300...
I had a cat once who had a constantly runny eye,his problem was an infected tooth...the tooth was extracted and with antibiotic he was soon well again.
I am sure there is something in your everyday life you could sacrifice for this kitty,so you can take him to the vet,infections,if that's what it is,if left can get nasty in a cat.
You did a good thing taking the cat from your friend,now make sure he/she gets the care he/she needs.
Or,like Lucky says call the vet he/she used to go to for eyedrops or maybe your friend just got people eyedrops without seeing a vet :confused:
In the future,put a loonie away ever now and then,for emergencies for the cat,animals cost money,even a little cat.

BamaRama
September 20th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I'm with Chico on this one. This cat probably will not feel any better until it has some medicated drops or eye cream specifically for cats. Scooter (new kitten) had an URI (upper respiratory infection) and had a goopy eye and was constantly sneezing. I had about $150.00 to my name...The vet bill was $130.

Until then though, yeah. The wet cloth wiping away the goo is the best thing, just to keep the eye clean for poor little kitty. DO NOT put anything in the eye, even human eye drops, as it may be dangerous for little kitty without you knowing it.

I understand that money is tight for some people but I personally wouldn't take on a cat unless I could afford (or in my case) sacrifice some stuff for emergencies. My cats are my family..I would do anything for them.

Oh well. Good luck, I hope kitty feels better.

greyraven
September 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM
You know i just want to thank everyone for thier help and opinions (good and bad).

I did what I did for this kitty because hard telling where she would end up. She is a very loving kitty, the owner was very allergic and didn't know till after she had her for 3 months she had gotten this kitty as a stray, and took her in. She kept talking about this kitty and i have seen this kitty she is very loving and sweet, and when she found out she was allergic to her she couldn't find anyone to take her. I didn't want her to go to the pound, and if no one took her? or just drop her off somewhere, she was once a loved kitty she is fixed (so I am told) and has no front claws to be just dropped off somewhere. She would have no way to defend herself.

We love our animals very much, i have 4 other cats and a boxer and a bird. Just at this time money is tight with kids going back to school. I just wanted any ideas on what i could do, she has been like this for 3 months already and well until i can get the money together to take her in to see a vet. Anymore they won't work with you they want all monies up front, especially around here.

last nite i gave her a flea bath and she wasn't a happy camper, needless to say and i flushed her eye with just plain water and she seems to be able to open it better today. So plan is to flush it again today. Mind you i am just using plain water.

But i will keep you updated when we find out what it is.

thanks again.

GreyRaven

Writing4Fun
September 21st, 2004, 12:37 PM
Anymore they won't work with you they want all monies up front, especially around here.
Hi Greyraven - where are you located? I find it disturbing that vets are asking for money up front! :eek: Maybe someone in your area or a local rescue can give you the name of a vet that would be willing to help you out a little?

greyraven
September 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM
I am thinking of checking with this special van that comes around they help low income families get thier animals nuetered and spayed I think it is called c-snip and it is volunteer vets that do it cheaper for a few days of the month, if i can find out when they come around again maybe i can talk to one of the vets. but i think i can get her in maybe next week. I know you would think if they are good vets they would take payments as long as the animal gets treated.
but too many people abuse that privlage so alot of them want money at time of service.

greyraven

shihtzulover
September 21st, 2004, 02:28 PM
Greyraven - Another temporary solution you could try is take a tea bag and soak it in hot water, once it is wet and has steeped a little take the tea bag out and wrap it in paper towels, You can then just hold the paper towel wrapped tea bag on your kitties eye. This will help get rid of any itch he may have and get rid of some swelling.
I talked to my vet about doing this when my cat had some eye problems, he said it is fine. This is what some people do if they have pink eye.
Your cat should defintly still see a vet but this might help relieve some of the discomfort he may have in the time being.

greyraven
September 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM
thanks for the tip. I plan to get her in asap, hopefully next week.
I doesn't seem to bother her, I am wondering if she has been sick with this since before my friend had her also. she plays and cuddles and everything like it isn't even there. there isn't any swelling just watery and some pus it seems
I dont' know the whole history on this kitty or really how this friend of mine aquired her. But the flushing with water seems to help.
Thanks again for your suggestion will keep you informed

GreyRaven

BamaRama
September 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hey greyraven, it's obvious that you care for this cat, but that money is tight. It happens to the best of us! Good for you though for giving this cat a loving home! It sounds like you're doing the right thing for kitty, but yeah, please, even if the symptoms go away, get him/her to see a vet when you can afford to do so.

Good luck!

debanneball
September 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Nicely put Bam...ditto that Raven... :D

chico2
September 21st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Grayraven,I want to apologize for being a little rough on you,it had been a bad day with a lot of"I think my cat/dog is dying,I have no money".
I too would like to thank you for taking this cat in,you obviously care,or you would not have asked for help.
Since the cat has had this problem for 3 months maybe more and does otherwise not seem sick,I think you're ok with waiting until you have the money.
One of my cats(Rocky)had a runny eye,no puss mind you,and the vet gave me a salve to put in his eye,not drops and it worked.
My other cat I mentioned was sick with an infected tooth,affecting the eye,that was a different matter.
Sometimes,living in a city with all the conveniences and vets galore,it's hard to imagine a place where the vet might be two hours away and not willing to give credit.
So,good luck to you and the kitty,hopefully no more flea-baths :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Greyraven - Another temporary solution you could try is take a tea bag and soak it in hot water, once it is wet and has steeped a little take the tea bag out and wrap it in paper towels, You can then just hold the paper towel wrapped tea bag on your kitties eye. This will help get rid of any itch he may have and get rid of some swelling.

I agree with shihtzulover.. when me Scottish lass told me the same thing i taught she was drunk! but as it turns out a lot of people do this for their kittys! maybe i was living on mars? anyways i think it's a good suggestion and worths a try. :)

krdahmer
September 22nd, 2004, 12:14 AM
Hi Greyraven - where are you located? I find it disturbing that vets are asking for money up front! :eek: Maybe someone in your area or a local rescue can give you the name of a vet that would be willing to help you out a little?
Our emergency animal hospital also asks for money up front here in this area...I was really shocked.