Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

finding a good breeder?

14+kitties
January 27th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I know this has been done to death but I thought maybe for newbies looking for such info the more it's posted the better. :shrug:
I was looking to see who was online this morning and saw a guest checking out an archived thread about this issue. Part of the info included in the thread was how to find a good breeder. Yes, I know there is a sticky by mona_b :thumbs up under breed characteristics but what's the harm?
This site just about said it all. I don't agree with the "fad" part near the end but the rest is pretty good.
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/breeder.html

The article can't be copied because it's copy written but if you are interested - it's there.

BenMax
January 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
:thumbs up Thanks 14+K. I don't think I will need it, but I it will be good to know nevertheless.

AnneCS
January 27th, 2011, 02:46 PM
The Canadian Kennel Club site also provides some good info (imo) on how to find a reputable breeder of a purebred puppy in Canada here:

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=113

...and even better, their Golden Rules for Finding a Reputable Breeder in better detail:

http://www.ckc.ca/en/portals/0/pdf/other/CKC.Rules.find.breeder.pdf

Hope that helps someone too!

mastifflover
January 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Great info but get a rescue or shelter dog. There are lots and lots of purebreds in need of homes. I think a lot of people believe there is only mixed breeds available not that there is anything wrong with a mutt they are just as lovable

Dog Dancer
January 27th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have to agree that a rescue dog would be optimal, but you know, sometimes you just want a very specific breed. In which case if that's what you want then at least make sure you are prepared to find a responsible breeder of that breed. Thanks for the links. I have to admit (don't tell hubby) I was looking at a couple breeder sites myself today - not for now but just browsing you know. I would love a giant breed, which medically would benefit from coming from a quality breeder, but know my heart will more likely take me to the pound again.

cassiek
January 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Great info but get a rescue or shelter dog. There are lots and lots of purebreds in need of homes. I think a lot of people believe there is only mixed breeds available not that there is anything wrong with a mutt they are just as lovable

Good point mastifflover! :thumbs up Many people think only "mutts" end up in shelters... but purebred dogs end up there just as often for the same reasons: moving, can't afford, etc. etc. People are shocked when they ask what breeder we used for our boxers and I say they were both from the Humane Society :D It may take longer for your breed of choice to come in (or you may have to drive further) but its very possible!

I have to agree that a rescue dog would be optimal, but you know, sometimes you just want a very specific breed. In which case if that's what you want then at least make sure you are prepared to find a responsible breeder of that breed. Thanks for the links. I have to admit (don't tell hubby) I was looking at a couple breeder sites myself today - not for now but just browsing you know. I would love a giant breed, which medically would benefit from coming from a quality breeder, but know my heart will more likely take me to the pound again.

Also a good point Dog Dancer. Many people want a specific breed, gender, age etc. and will look to breeders. If it's a legit, reputable breeder I have no problems with it as those dogs do not end up in shelters (although I am sure there are exceptions to this...)

14+kitties
January 29th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Please make no mistake. I would never go the breeder route. There are just far too many dogs already born and in shelters or rescues that need homes. Why would I encourage the birth of more until this horrendous problem has been solved? I live this issue every single day of my life with my cats. I am surprised anyone who knows me would even think I would consider a breeder above a rescue or shelter. :(
The reason I posted the link to this site is because of the "other" thread that has been going on for the last few days. It is quite clear breeders are here to stay. It is also quite clear there are a number of people who will/would/do use breeders. Many on this site. Seeing as it would be difficult to convince those people once their mind is set on what they want to go to the shelter and find (most likely the same breed) a dog I would rather make sure they went to an ethical breeder. I figured the site would be a good guideline for them.
If you went to the site and read the article all the way through you would find the author actually does ask people to go to a shelter or rescue to adopt.

MIA
February 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Having done purebred dog rescue for years I can honestly say I have yet to see a responsible breeders dog in a shelter or rescue. Most of the dogs I have had originated at a pet store or BYB. I hate to lump all breeders into one nasty pile as there are many wonderful breeders out there doing right by their breeds.

IF someone really wants a puppy it's imperative they support and buy from a responsible breeder which is what we as rescuers, animal lovers need to teach the public. On top of that if people stop shopping at the less than desirable places they will eventually go away.

Of course most of us recommend rescue/shelters first and there are tons of purebreds there, I have three adopted purebreds and they are the best but not everyone wants an adopted dog which I can respect.

It's out duty to present all the available options. Rescue, shelters, and responsible breeders.

Love4himies
February 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM

:thumbs up:thumbs up. And they are already alive and not encouraging humans to have more bred.

Love4himies
February 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Please make no mistake. I would never go the breeder route. There are just far too many dogs already born and in shelters or rescues that need homes. Why would I encourage the birth of more until this horrendous problem has been solved? I live this issue every single day of my life with my cats. I am surprised anyone who knows me would even think I would consider a breeder above a rescue or shelter. :(
The reason I posted the link to this site is because of the "other" thread that has been going on for the last few days. It is quite clear breeders are here to stay. It is also quite clear there are a number of people who will/would/do use breeders. Many on this site. Seeing as it would be difficult to convince those people once their mind is set on what they want to go to the shelter and find (most likely the same breed) a dog I would rather make sure they went to an ethical breeder. I figured the site would be a good guideline for them.
If you went to the site and read the article all the way through you would find the author actually does ask people to go to a shelter or rescue to adopt.

We know you wouldn't :grouphug::grouphug: