Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Froze to Death

CarolynInPEI
January 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have just heard some terrible news. Somebody in the town I live in (which is very small) left their dog outside during the recent cold snap and the dog froze to death.

This was a purebred german shepherd, so he/she was not a small dog.

Can anything be done about this? Can this guy be charged for allowing this to happen?

I feel terrible about it.

14+kitties
January 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Depending I suppose on what shelter was available to the dog at the time. I would think if the dog was just left in the open with no shelter then yes, he could be charged.
:candle::rip: poor baby. You are warm now.

BenMax
January 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Depends on the laws within your Province. If shelter, food and water (not ice) was available - then not much can be done. If the evidence is removed - forget it.

RIP dear one.:rip:

happycats
January 27th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Report him!!!

Love4himies
January 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I would report him too. Just because there is shelter doesn't mean it is adequate shelter to protect him from the elements :frustrated: Which in this case, it wasn't :(

Chris21711
January 27th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm not familiar with the Animal Cruelty Laws in PEI, but under Federal Law it is an offence to willfully cause pain or suffering.

******Cruelty to Animals
Causing unnecessary suffering

445.1 (1) Every one commits an offence who
(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;******

Chris21711
January 27th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Here's another little tidbit from the same Federal Laws:

****446. (1) Every one commits an offence who

(a) by wilful neglect causes damage or injury to animals or birds while they are being driven or conveyed; or

(b) being the owner or the person having the custody or control of a domestic animal or a bird or an animal or a bird wild by nature that is in captivity, abandons it in distress or wilfully neglects or fails to provide suitable and adequate food, water, shelter and care for it.****

BenMax
January 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Report him!!!

Absolutely Happycats...my apologies for not pushing the matter. Of course you are correct.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
January 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I've heard several of these stories lately and it's disturbing beyond belief. I can't believe anyone would be so stupid to leave any living thing out in some of the weather that's been coming down as of late up north.

rainbow
January 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I couldn't agree more .....Report Him !!!

This is so sad and I hope this story is put in your local newspapers as well so his name and picture is made public.

happycats
January 27th, 2011, 05:18 PM
OMG I just read a story about a dog found on someones lawn in a block of ice!!!! WTF is wrong with people!!! :mad:

Letting your dog freeze to death or beating it to death is the same as far as I'm concerned, and these jerks should be charged!!

rainbow
January 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
OMG I just read a story about a dog found on someones lawn in a block of ice!!!! WTF is wrong with people!!! :mad:

Letting your dog freeze to death or beating it to death is the same as far as I'm concerned, and these jerks should be charged!!

That happened here in BC ....up north in Dawson Creek :( ......

http://www.nationalpost.com/Border+Collie+frozen+block+left+Dawson+Creek+yard/4173054/story.html

Apparantly, the dog was dead before being put in a tub of water which was left outside to freeze and then the block of ice was dumped in someone else's yard. What kind of a sick S-O-B could do this? :yell: :wall:

Goldfields
January 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Poor dogs. People who can do that to them are the sort that should have been dropped in a bucket at birth themselves.

lindapalm
January 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Goldfields, that was the perfect way to put it. Its impossible to imagine someone could do that to any animal.