Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My two cents worth

Copper'sMom
September 20th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Hello Everyone!

Please don't take this the wrong way! I don't mean to come off as sounding rude and I certainly don't mean to offend anybody!!

I just want to say that it is unfortunate that society today can be so ignorant. The media makes money from horror stories, not heart-warming stories. Do people really beleive everything they see on TV and read in the newspapers? There are always two sides to every story. Most people only ever hear one side.
I'm talking about Pit Bull attacks. Not every single pit bull roaming the globe is a vicious, blood thirsty, human seeking, ravaging animal. I read about a lady in Kitchener (a long while back) who adopted an unwanted pit bull. She worked hard to make the dog a loyal, loving pet and she was rewarded in a way she would have never known. Long story short - the lady got up in the night to go to the toilet, the dog was was sleeping in the bedroom. The lady was bit by a spider and went into an unconscious state and the dog whined and carried on to wake the husband who then woke up and found his wife unconscious and called paramedics. If the dog hadn't reacted this way the lady would have died! Does this sound like a killer dog to you?

Did you know that Laura Ingalls Wilder of the Little House On the Prarie owned a working Pit Bull? Theodore Roosevelt and Helen Keller owned this breed too. The Little Rascals - Petie was a pit bull!! (a darn cute one too)

I was bit by a German Shepherd. Yes, I'm a little leary of them now, but I also know some wonderful shepherds who are sweet and loyal. I do not dislike all German Shepherds. Oh and by the way, me getting bit buy a large breed never did make it in the paper or on the news. I wonder why? I know someone who has a Jack Russel. The dog has bit numerous times and has drawn blood! No big deal though because he's little right? Wrong - that dog has a problem! A big dog bites once (minimal damage) and is put to sleep. Not fair at all. There are many many reasons a dog will bite. People who aren't educated wouldn't know the reasons.

It is very unfortunate that people have been attacked and bitten by this breed and I don't blame them for not liking Pit Bulls. But the details the media never reports on is how the dog was raised, what it's living conditions are like, what the owners are like etc. Bad owners = bad dogs. I beleive this to be 99% true. A small percentage of attacks have to do with the breeding. People who buy their Pit Bull's for fighting are going to have aggressively bred dogs. I could teach my little American Eskimo to be vicious if I wanted to. Imagine a 10lb white fluff ball attacking your face. How cute.

Well I've said to much already but there will be more to come. Sorry for making this so long. All I can say is do your homework. Research what you know nothing about.

mastifflover
September 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Well said, I own a Mastiff and am waiting on a court date after being bitten my a little yappy thing (unleashed) then the woman tried to tell the cops my dog did it and was the one who was being aggressive. Luckily I had a witness and he popped up and said he saw the whole thing and my dog did not retaliate even after this untrained thing tried to bite him and believe me if he bit that dog it would have not been pleasant sight. One of my reasons for persuing it was because big dogs get a bad rap and a lot of small dog owners don't take the time or effort to socialize and train their dogs. You are so right about it being the owners not the dogs I have met many sweet pitts and all they want is belly rubs not to rip your face off maybe lick it off but thats about it. The media just loves to create these awful situations and then they just keep adding fuel to the fire. If you ask I bet 8 out of 10 people would not be able to pick a pit bull out of a group of assorted bull breeds.

Copper'sMom
September 20th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Thank you for your reply. I'm glad somebody sees it the way I do. Mastiffs are gorgeous dogs but I don't think I could handle all their drool!! I like some little dogs but alot of them are snobby. My Copper likes to play with the little dogs more than the big dogs. I think big dogs scare him! Or else he feels more macho with little ones. :D

debanneball
September 20th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Very well put you two. Hey, while they are considering banning pit bulls, what about dump trucks????

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I have a pit bull, and like most of her breed, she would never think of biting or even growling at anyone.

Part of the problem is that the number of badly bred pit bulls now is staggering, thanks to an enormous amount of people breeding them improperly and for the wrong reasons. Many are not purebreds, but are mixes and lot are not even that, but other breeds.

Obviously if there are 10 times more pit bulls than say, Akitas, more bites will be reported. The dog doing the biting often is NOT a pit bull, as most people have a hard time identifying them.

It's like saying there are 20 times more accidents involving Honda Civics than there are Cadillacs, so Hondas should be banned.

Copper'sMom
September 20th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Very well put you two. Hey, while they are considering banning pit bulls, what about dump trucks????
OK i'm embarrassed- what do you mean about the dump trucks? :o

mastifflover
September 20th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah the drool is something you can either deal with or not there is no in between. I love these guys this is my second my first was a Neapolitan, this one is an English. I would like to get a second one once I find a larger space. You know any dog that is not trained or socialized is bad news no matter what size they are. But unfortunatley large dogs do more damage and that is what the media thrive on, how about some nice stories for a change. Like my friend has a Mastiff and she lives in the country with her hubby and twin girls 3.5 years old. One day one of the twins was have a bit of a fight with her sis and decided to leave by the back door when nobody was watching except her Mastiff who followed her out to the road and kept her off the road. The neighbour spotted the dog who is never out by himself and then saw the girl and ran outside and started toward them the dog knows him but he would not let him close to them. So he ran and drove his truck down to the road and told her to go back to the house. She turned around and headed back with the dog following behind her. Their neighbour was so impressed that this 1.5 old Mastiff would not let anybody near his little girl, he was protecting her from danger of cars and people. The neighbour came over and the dog walked right over to him wagging his tail his job was done.

chico2
September 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Lucky,not a bad idea,let's ban those noisy little Hondas the kids drive and get killed in :eek: Leave the pitts alone,stiffer fines for the owners,maybe even jailtime for attempted murder would do the trick.

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately what people want to see in the news is dog attacks. Or maybe I should say what news people think we want to see is dog attacks and it seems to me the only stories they want are about Pit Bulls.
I was watching our local news the other night and their 'top story' was about a brutal Pit Bull attack... it wasn't even local, but it was their top priority to say that story first.
They said the dog attacked two woman standing at a bus stop, that it 'came outta nowhere'.
The dog was shot three times by a cop, he survived but then was PTS anyway. Sigh...
I definitely agree about there being two sides to every story... I don't know I'm just not buyin it.
Also... the dog was a stray, if it was a true attack (not provoked)you'd think his stray status would have something to do with it.

Bugsy
September 20th, 2004, 07:16 PM
MastiffLover

(sniff sniff) I love that story...

Akeeter
September 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Every time there is a dog bite incident, attack, or anything that hits the media, i get a hard time in my little community of dog haters & Pinheads. (even though I don't have a Pitty or a Staffy.)

When the ban the Akita stuff was going around 2 years ago, we got flack. When the Wolf-hybrid media hysteria went around last year, my Akita magically changed into a Wolf-hybrid. I think my Lab has recently changed into a black Pit bull, without me knowing it, (cuz I'm not in favour of BSL).

It's not even just Pit & Staffy owners anymore who have to deal with the BS everytime there is an incident in the media. All you need is a dog bigger than a bread box now to be under suspicion or scrutiny. I don't know what bothers me more? The idiots who can't control their dogs, the dolts in the media who can't even be bother to report all of the story, or the lazy gossips in my own community who just enjoy having something to pick at, other than their noses.

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I think my Lab has recently changed into a black Pit bull

If he ever bites anyone, he will magically transform into a pit bull on the spot - count on it. :rolleyes:

You're right. Some day no one will be allowed to have a dog "bigger than a breadbox", so all the people who smugly say "BSL doesn't concern ME" better think again.

debanneball
September 21st, 2004, 07:06 AM
OK i'm embarrassed- what do you mean about the dump trucks? :o
Well, actually, it was the first thing I thought about, and they have been in several accidents over the years, they have killed and maimed, and if they start banning pit bulls, what next? Would they stop there...or would they ban (examples only people...) the rotweiller, the english bull terrier; could you imagine if they had that power...................... :eek:

LavenderRott
September 21st, 2004, 08:13 AM
Uhhgg.

I really hate seeing the words rottweiler and ban in the same sentence. There are almost as many places in North America that has rottweilers banned or restricted as there are places with laws on the books about pits. In the U.S. it is getting increasingly difficult to find homeowner's insurance if you own a rottweiler. Geico won't insure your CAR if you own a rottweiler!

Sneaky2006
September 21st, 2004, 08:38 AM
Yep, it's the same here with Rotts and Pits.... when I was talking to my mom about getting a Pit she said I was nuts because my home owners insurance would go sky high if they didn't drop me first!

Copper'sMom
September 21st, 2004, 09:12 AM
I heard briefly on the news this morning that it would be a law that all pit bulls must wear a muzzle when they are out in public. I refuse to muzzle my dog until he gives me a reason to muzzle him. Just as there is a law against speeding on any road but everybody does it!!
I'm more afraid of someone else's dog attacking my dog than my dog attacking their dog. I was at my nephew's soccer game and had my dog there on a leash and some guy had is black lab running loose and he came after my dog! I had no problem getting involved in a dog fight because I don't want my baby to get bit and have scars on his face. Luckily he didn't get hurt. I only weigh about 86lbs and my dog weighs 70lbs but I definitely have the upper hand. Well, I got the dirty looks. Later on the guy went to my brother and apologized for the little incident after I had left of course.

Poor Copper always gets picked on by the bigger dogs. He gets to play with other dogs all the time, but the big dogs always want to ride him!! I say it is because he is so handsome. He does get perturbed when a dog is trying to rape him but that's when we separate them and evryone is happy. When I figure out how to put a picture up I will. I get alot of compliments on his looks. :D

Writing4Fun
September 21st, 2004, 09:15 AM
We recently changed insurance carriers, and they asked what kind of dog I had. I had heard that some carriers give discounts if you own a dog - kind of like having a home security system. So I asked. She said no, they actually have a list of dogs that they have to charge more for! :eek: Rotties, Dobies and all of the Bull breeds are on there. Lucky for me, the GSD isn't (yet)! :rolleyes:

mastifflover
September 21st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Isn't it disgusting that the people who are responsible owners are paying the price for the irresponsible ones. This is something I really have a problem with people binging young kids to an off leash park, this is a recipe for disaster. Last night when I was at the park this guy comes into the park with 2 real small kids and no dog. Comes into the off leash area with the kids and of course the dogs are running around playning and a kid gets knocked to the ground by a big Saint Bernard running after another dog and the guy freaks out at the owner who by the way ran over to see if the child was okay. He starts screaming at her and telling her to put her dog on a leash and whay would you own such a big aggressive dog. Okay I lost it and walked over to him and said excuse me do you read? He just gave me this look and I said this is an off leash park not a park for you to bring your children to play. If you had an ounce of sense you would not bring to little kids to a park where dogs are off leash and then expect the owners to put there dogs on leashes because your kid gets knocked down. So take your kids and leave now before they get hurt. He returned with the cops and the lady with the Saint said I guess I am in big trouble now. The cop approached and asked her what happened so she explained and the cop turned to the guy and said you should not have brought your children to this section of the park and turned and said have a good evening ladies and left. You could see the steam coming out the sides of this guys head. Mind you that is probably the only thing in there anyway. Thanks for letting me vent

Copper'sMom
September 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Like I said...People are so ignorant these days!