Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten question for my sister

jassy3399
January 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM
my sister has asked that I extend a question to you folks. She adopted Smokey and Shadow, two of Gizmo's brothers. her question is this: why do they play in their water dish and dump it out pretty much every single day? I personally think it's because they're being little brats, but she'd like your opinion. I'm going to extend the question to ask if maybe one of those automatic water dishes might be harder for them to tip over? she is worried about them getting dehydrated/a uti since they like to dump the water while everyone is at work/school, which leaves them with nothing to drink for a good portion of the day. what do you guys think?

http://www.pets.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=581&pictureid=4202

14+kitties
January 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
They're fishin'. :D
No really, I have some that do that too. They're just playing so yes, they are being a little bratty. Too solve them dumping all of their water I found some flat bottomed dishes (casserole) that they can't dump/spill all of. It leaves enough in the bottom that I know they always have water. Your sister could also leave out more than one bowl. They may play in the one and drink out of the other. Something else I do is to leave a cup in the sink filled with water. That way if they spill it, they never do for some reason, I don't have a mess to clean up.
The problem I would have around here with an automatic one, and have had so stopped using it, is that they try to sit on top of it. That normally topples it and, again, a mess. Using one does not stop them from still wanting to play in the water. :shrug:

And OMGosh!! They are cuuuutttteeee!!!

Winston
January 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
So typical of kitties!

I use one of those water coolers you can buy them at walmart and it looks like one of those ones you see in an office. It holds a liter of water so the dog and cat share the water...but my cat cant tip it over!! :thumbs up

All you do is fill up the water bottle and snap it onto the base !

Gorgeous kitties BTW!

jassy3399
January 25th, 2011, 04:37 PM
thanks guys, I'll pass on the suggestions. I think she has been using a flat bottomed dish, but it's just plastic so it's very light. I'll have her try a second, larger and heavier dish and see if that helps as far as making sure they've got enough water all day long. I doubt she's going to get rid of the mess, though, but with four human kids, I think she's used to it!:D

and they are terribly cute, aren't they? not as cute as Gizmo, of course. But then, I suppose I'm a smidge biased.

14+kitties
January 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
thanks guys, I'll pass on the suggestions. I think she has been using a flat bottomed dish, but it's just plastic so it's very light. I'll have her try a second, larger and heavier dish and see if that helps as far as making sure they've got enough water all day long. I doubt she's going to get rid of the mess, though, but with four human kids, I think she's used to it!:D

and they are terribly cute, aren't they? not as cute as Gizmo, of course. But then, I suppose I'm a smidge biased.

Plastic? Could you see if she would be willing to get rid of the plastic dishes and use ceramic or stainless steel? Plastic can cause feline acne on the kitties' chins which is really uncomfortable for them. If she has any second hand stores in her area they will have lots of heavy flat bottomed bowls around. I got 15 bowls at our BF today for $3.75. They will come in handy with my gang. :thumbs up

jassy3399
January 25th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I was going to suggest ceramic anyway (my kids have stainless steel, which is lighter, but they don't tip them, either) since we've got a lot of second hand shops and pet stores where we can get those. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

chico2
January 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
OMG Jassy,look at those 2 adorable tabbies:cloud9:
I use a large soup-bowl for my cats water and have smaller stainless dishes for their food.

Love4himies
January 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Plastic? Could you see if she would be willing to get rid of the plastic dishes and use ceramic or stainless steel? Plastic can cause feline acne on the kitties' chins which is really uncomfortable for them. If she has any second hand stores in her area they will have lots of heavy flat bottomed bowls around. I got 15 bowls at our BF today for $3.75. They will come in handy with my gang. :thumbs up

And ringworm.

Jasper used to drop his toys in the water bowl :frustrated: and I have had many foster kittens do that too. I think it is just play :shrug:.

Does she feed them canned? If so, then she doesn't have to worry too much that they go without water during the day. If she feeds them kibble, she may want to switch to canned. Here is some good reading:

http://www.catinfo.org/

jassy3399
January 25th, 2011, 06:17 PM
And ringworm.

Jasper used to drop his toys in the water bowl :frustrated: and I have had many foster kittens do that too. I think it is just play :shrug:.

Does she feed them canned? If so, then she doesn't have to worry too much that they go without water during the day. If she feeds them kibble, she may want to switch to canned. Here is some good reading:

http://www.catinfo.org/

She's on kibble + canned, like I've been doing. I've been trying to talk her into switching, but so far she's still just supplementing. Still, for the smaller stuff, she tends to be more flexible. I've already talked to her about the dishes, so we'll probably hit the store tomorrow to see what we can find as far as the bowls go. 1 step at a time, right?