Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

static cling on cats

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 12:01 PM
how do you stop your cats from being a swiffer?
Was sitting brushing Tucker before I vacuum and Marty comes along, so he will let you brush him in passing. So a couple of brushes for Marty and half hour for Tucker he loves brush time...Well Marty ended up looking like a big black swiffer:D, dog fur, loose black fur, bits of fluff off of the floor and so on. Wondering if there is a way to stop static cling in cats as now I have to chase him around the house and try and clean it off before I vacuum:laughing:

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 12:06 PM
here is a pic of Marty I know I don't post to many hopefully this is with out bits on him:laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Marty is a beautiful kitty, doggy lover!!!! :flirt:

Don't have any advice for you, but if you come up with something that works and is nontoxic, let me know--madame hazel's hair is totally out of control this winter! :eek:

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I know its crazy I should have taken a picture before I got all the fur off it was too funny:D

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Is he getting shocks when he brushes up against metal? It's been a very painful winter here.... :o

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 12:50 PM
even when you stroke him sometimes, my other cat is fine, but Marty gets so pissed when you shock him:crazy:thats what he is gonna look like lol. Maybe if I dig out my humidifier and try adding some moisture to the air if it will help??? Could always try putting him in the dryer with some bounce sheets....only joking:eek: Even Tucker isn't as bad just my black swiffer...

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 12:51 PM
A humidifier helps, but to get madame hazel's static under control, we have to pump enough water into the air to cause the windows to steam up and get ice build up :o

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
a couple more of Marty:D he acts more like a dog than a cat

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Love the pic of him peering between the spindles! What a cutie!

breeze
January 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM
do you know what the humidity is in your home?? mine is low, (they say 45-55 is ideal) we do put the humidfier on but to get the amount of moister in the house that we need like hazel we end up with frozen windows ( that the dogs lick off :laughing:)

Arch and Bree are bad for static. and to brush them when they are like that ouch!!!

I sometimes put a very small amount of leave in conditioner and water in a spray bottle and spray them when I brush them but it's short lived :(

love the pictures!! :lovestruck::cloud9:
you must post more :D

pattymac
January 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Oh I feel your pain!! Nino has enough fur that he's insulated from the shocks but he certainly builds up the static!! It's really dry here in the winter! Poor Bayley, she's always getting shocks on her nose. I've been tempted to try a humidifier but we'd likely have the same problem with the windows.

When I try brushing everybody, I keep a cup of water nearby and dip the comb in it after a couple of brushes. Seems to help a bit.

DL he's a gorgeous boy!!

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
That doesn't make the hair even drier between brushings, pattymac? The water trick, I mean?

breeze
January 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
We keep the humidity level at around 35 ( it's all I can handle with arthritis) it also keeps the windows from freezing ..

I find the worst of it is end of Jan and the begining of Feb then it starts to get better here a bit :o

breeze
January 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
That doesn't make the hair even drier between brushings, pattymac? The water trick, I mean?

this is why I put a drop of conditioner into the water, just to be sure

pattymac
January 25th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Doesn't seem to. I may try the conditioner trick too though. Although I'm seriously considering getting Coco shaved even though it's still winter. He's impossible to keep mat free. Doesn't help that one of his fave things to do is roll around on the carpet! Doesn't matter how gentle I am, he still fights and complains and he's next to impossible to hold onto. I've taken to using a seam ripper to take out his mats but on his back end forget it. Nino, has longer hair and he doesn't mat at all. compared to Coco. He gets a few tiny ones under his chin but they're easy to get out.

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
got out the humidifier and thanks Breeze didn't think about my arthritis with the humidity level but will have to watch that. I will also try the conditioner as well that sounds great I'll try it on Tucker too might help with all the flying fur too:laughing:

kittygirl
January 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was going to post about this very thing! Thanks for the headstart..

Our fuzzy-wuzzy Songo has a terrible time with static. She is tortured by the static in our house and the shocks! Poor kitty - we feel so bad for her.

I do comb her with a wet brush - temporarily relief only. I have also tried a little conditioner which just makes her mat which she is dreadful for anyway. Would shaving her help the situation? I keep her 'back end' tidy for her already which she tolerates...not sure about a full body trim. :confused:

chico2
January 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Marty is a beautiful black kitty:lovestruck:
We don't have problems with static,could it be because we have no carpeting?

Kittygirl,Songo is a beauty too,if she does not go outside,I see no harm in taking her for a cut.

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 05:33 PM
no trimming fur she could end up looking like this:D

kittygirl
January 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM
That's a scary kitteh! :eek:

kittygirl
January 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Kittygirl,Songo is a beauty too,if she does not go outside,I see no harm in taking her for a cut.

She does not go outside and there are plenty of snug places at home for her to keep warm in. Its a thought. I don't think she would like the process too much though...

I do think it would give her some relief. Its sad when she is trying to 'escape the static'. When she finally does give in and stops running she has stuff stuck all over her.

Tundra_Queen
January 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
The kitties and I are always getting zapped! Our air is very dry every winter. I have a pot pourri going but it doesn't do much. When I brush the kitties I spray the brush with water to help with static. It helps a bit but we still get zapped if we touch.

breeze
January 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
could it be because we have no carpeting?

We have no carpets in our house either chico, and we still get static on the beasts..:(