Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I got new clippers!!!

happycats
January 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I got tired of paying $100.00 each time I took Buddy to the groomers.......and he needed to go 3 times a year, that adds up.
But the worst part was poor Buddy would shake like a leaf everytime. The last straw was the last time he had razor burn ALL over his belly :cry:
DH and I felt horrible!!
So I got new clippers and gave him his first home hair cut :)
It's a little rough, but not that bad at all for a first timer (I watched many youtube videos before I attempted) and Buddy was a patient sweetheart who didn't shake at all!!!

Dee-O-Gee
January 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM
:clap::clap: Happycats but uhm...can we have some pictures of Buddy with his new style? :D

binkybuff
January 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
As a retired groomer, I certainly hope you complained to the groomer that did the job on buddy.

Razor burns or cuts on a dog were not allowed in my shop. I would rather have cut myself than cut a dog.

take care
binky

14+kitties
January 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yay for you and Buddy!! Clippers are a great investment. I have a set for Keesha too. Saved a ton over the years buying them instead of taking her in to a groomer and getting her upset. Not worth it!
Pics please. :D

BMDLuver
January 25th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Well you are all brave souls! the only time a clipper gets in my hands is in an emergency situation where I have no choice otherwise I decline to those who know...... i have a mental image of some poor cat or dog with whispy tufts of fur sticking out here n there if I went for it...:D

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
BMDL that was what I was picturing in my head too...lol:laughing:

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I used to do our hot-blooded springer spaniel, but the best I could do was an overall puppy cut. The first time I tried she looked a bit funky, but eventually I could at least make her smooth. :D She hated the groomer, too, but loved being clipped at home.

She used to look like a bear if we let her grow out! I've never seen such a woolly springer in my life. :laughing:

So how come you haven't shared some pics of Buddy in his new 'do'? :D

Frenchy
January 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
What kind of clippers did you get Happycats ? I'm looking to get something to ... clip or shave Churchill's bum as poo gets stuck "up there" and I'm sick of it :yuck:

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 03:53 PM
couldn't resist

chico2
January 25th, 2011, 04:02 PM
DL,:laughing::laughing::laughing:

happycats
January 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
LOL :laughing: I'll have to get some pics to post this week-end!
Buddy has kinda wavey coat, so when I let him dry naturally it's wavey, which means his clip wasn't very even, BUT the waves help hide my lack of experience :o (it's a little chunky in places)

I bought Andis heavy duty (has a pic of a standard poodle on the box)
They are great, ceramic.....cut through his thick coat like butter!!!

Yes Frenchy Buddy gets the poo poo cling ons too :eek: and the clippers take care of that!!

OMG that pic is so cute.......Buddy doesn't look quite that bad :)

doggy lover
January 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM
HC and Frenchy I hate the cling on's Tucker has butt fur that is about 10 inches long and yep he gets them too..worse is when he has had diarrhoea then its into the shower with him :yuck: Funny thing with Tucker he will stand outside and wait for you to take them out his butt fur:D

happycats
January 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
OMG yes the "diarhea down the furry shorts" is the worst! My 2 cats Boowee and Tuffy AND Buddy have this problem from time to time.
DH always "discovers" it first......or should I say the pets make sure he discovers it first.......Booweee will sit on his lap :eek::yuck:
And the last time Buddy had one, he jumped in DH's truck and left a lovely skid on the back rest !!!!

binkybuff
January 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Happycats, and any that want to groom their pet at home, if you don't want patchy cuts, always keep the blade flat, and sharp. To get someone to sharpen the blades can get tough, as most of them are hollow ground. Also to get a better cut, you can use 1 blade to do the initial cut, then, bath and thoroughly dry the animal, then cut it with the sharp finishing blade. Keep one for the rough cut, and the finishing blade for the smoother cut.

Since I always used the Oster A5, I would have as many of 4 or 5 blades of the same kind on the go, then send some of them to be sharpened, and when returned to me, I would send the rest. At one time at my shop, I had about 50 blades. Just remember the smaller the number, the shorter the cut, and with Oster a blade with an A, (ie: 7F) to me meant a smoother cut which left the coat a little longer.

I had a nice young man offer to do mine one time, and I couldn't cut anything with them after, so sent them off to a place I knew at the time. Cost me a bit, but then I sent of something like 20 blades. Thankfully, I had some new ones I could use right away.

Also, never, never, NEVER pull a mat to cut it. lay the scissors into the mat, and cut bit by bit. If you pull a mat up the skin goes with it, then you could cut the skin. If you have a dog with eyebrows, then lay the scissors across the bridge of the nose and cut, DO NOT, jab and cut.

If I can give advise to help anyone, I will, just contact me.

take care
binky

BMDLuver
January 26th, 2011, 07:47 AM
couldn't resist

Gosh I have one of those and she looks like that naturally without me ever touching her with clippers! Imagine what she would look like after some touchups? hehehe

ScottieDog
January 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM
The important thing to remember is that hair will grow back. We made the decision to groom our Scotties when we got a fearful rescue that we suspected had been abused or injured at a groomers. We couldn't go near her with a normal brush. I had to get brushes that fit into the palm of the hand (no handles) and then sit with her on my lap and stroke her gently. She had a fluffy coat and when it grew out she looked like an Ewok.

My husband decided we could groom her. She wasn't going out of our sight for grooming given her history. We got professional equipment and researched the Scottie cut. A wonderful woman in Scottie rescue gave us advice, resources and encouragement. The first few times she didn't look great, but still better than the "hula skirted" Scotties from the chain pet store grooming salons. My husband is actually very good at grooming now we are still using our equipment we bought nearly 10 years ago. It has paid for itself many times over and I have the comfort of knowing what happens to my dog. It is also nice to know your dog's quirks and do the grooming to flatter the individual dog. I know that a private groomer would do this, but the pet store groomers here put the same cut on Scotties, Westies and Schnauzers and none are correct for the breed. We knew where to put the furnishing lines for our chubby girl to slim her down and now work on our current girl's banana-shaped tail. You can make this a good experience for Buddy. Way to go! (and you will save so much money.)

rubybeak
February 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM
As a retired groomer, I certainly hope you complained to the groomer that did the job on buddy.

Razor burns or cuts on a dog were not allowed in my shop. I would rather have cut myself than cut a dog.

take care
binky
i too thought i would like to groom my own dogs and looked at utube and bought a dvd and oster clippers and a table , but still some clipper burn, im so upset,

rubybeak
February 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Happycats, and any that want to groom their pet at home, if you don't want patchy cuts, always keep the blade flat, and sharp. To get someone to sharpen the blades can get tough, as most of them are hollow ground. Also to get a better cut, you can use 1 blade to do the initial cut, then, bath and thoroughly dry the animal, then cut it with the sharp finishing blade. Keep one for the rough cut, and the finishing blade for the smoother cut.

Since I always used the Oster A5, I would have as many of 4 or 5 blades of the same kind on the go, then send some of them to be sharpened, and when returned to me, I would send the rest. At one time at my shop, I had about 50 blades. Just remember the smaller the number, the shorter the cut, and with Oster a blade with an A, (ie: 7F) to me meant a smoother cut which left the coat a little longer.

I had a nice young man offer to do mine one time, and I couldn't cut anything with them after, so sent them off to a place I knew at the time. Cost me a bit, but then I sent of something like 20 blades. Thankfully, I had some new ones I could use right away.

Also, never, never, NEVER pull a mat to cut it. lay the scissors into the mat, and cut bit by bit. If you pull a mat up the skin goes with it, then you could cut the skin. If you have a dog with eyebrows, then lay the scissors across the bridge of the nose and cut, DO NOT, jab and cut.

If I can give advise to help anyone, I will, just contact me.

take care
binky
whats the best way to avoid clipper burn,

binkybuff
February 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
The best way to avoid razor burns, is to have 2 or 3 of the same sized blades you are using, (ie: 3 # 15). those are usually used for around the face, and tummy area. Change the blade often. Put the blade against your wrist, (like testing for babies water) and if it is getting too warm, get another one, use it, placing the first one aside to cool, and keep repeating, with all the blades.

This goes for all the blades, this is one reason a reliable groomer has so many blades on hand. As I said, I had some 50 or 60 of them at one time. When I groomed, I would use 3 or 4 of each type on each dog, that is the reason for having so many. and also to keep the sharp.

I am sorry for not getting back sooner, but I just found out how to get the older posts again.

Hope that helps.
take care
binky