Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bad teeth

frodo123
January 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
We were recently given a 4 year old Bichon who was not being taken care of properly. We believe he was abused. He has horrible breath! Today I thought I would try and see if I could brush them. I got into his mouth to find that his teeth are covered in plaque and pretty much are all loose! He has been eating fine, so I had no reason to even think that they were loose, I just thought his breath was bad because of plaque. So my question is, if his teeth are that bad that they are loose, if taken to the vet to get cleaned, would they get better, or are we looking at a toothless dog possibly?? What do I do?? Thanks in advance for replies...

Sib.HuskyMom
January 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
I would recommend taking him to the vet. Tooth decay can lead to infection, which can pose serious health concerns throughout his body if left untreated!
February is also pet dental month (around here, anyway), which means most vet offices give a discount off cleanings.

If the teeth are looking that bad, then he might have a sore mouth as well (even though he's eating fine). That means, if you attempt to start brushing, he may associate it as a painful experience right from the start.

IMO, it'd be better to start with a professional cleaning from a vet. And if that means that a few teeth have to be pulled, than that's ok. He'll be just fine without them (although may look a little goofy in pictures, depending on which teeth) :D

That way, you can then continue his home care with a fresh start on a clean mouth, and make it a new habit going forward.

Criosphynx
January 23rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Hi!

I agree with the above, the risk of infection is very high with a bad mouth. My vet had a client whos dogs entire jaw was full of puss and required a major surgery, simply because the owners put off getting the teeth cleaned

I rescued a pomeranian with a similar mouth, absolutely rancid. First thing is to take the dog to the vet and have a dental done. Any teeth that are so bad they can't be saved will be removed at that time. :) Once the teeth are that bad, brushing isn't really the first thing you should do (great for maintaining tho)

if the dog is new to you, they will likely want to run bloodwork first to make sure its ok to put her under for the procedure :)

I also really swear by the water additives for bad breath. They also help keep tartar down...but once again, these are for maintaining, not a first step :)

rainbow
January 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with Sib.Husky Mom as well ....you should first take him to your vet for a full checkup and dental cleaning and I think that February is Dental Health Month in a lot of places.

Please don't feed your dog the vet prescribed denatl food though. Contrary to what they try to tell you, that kibble (nor any other) does not help to get rid of tartar.

catlover2
January 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Take him to a vet. It's sounds like he may have developed periodontal disease which could adversely affect his health. Dogs that have teeth extracted can eat well. All the best, and give us an update.

cell
January 24th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with the others, if the teeth are horrible now it's best to have them professionally looked after and then maintained by you at home afterwards with proper chews and brushing.

t.pettet
January 24th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Once he's been looked at by vet and had his teeth cleaned or extracted ask your vet about Oral Cleansing Gel, along with brushing and chews this is a good oral hygiene routine that will save you &&& and your dog having to go under anesthetic.