Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Severe diarrhea?

irinag07
January 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
hey guys! I just joined the forum a second ago... and i have a question about my new kitten, Schuster....

I adopted him on january 2nd, at which point he was 2 months old. Ever since i have gotten him, he had severe diarrhea. I tried to change his diet with different kitten brand food, but with no success. Iabout a week ago I noticed first signs of blood in his stool and went to the vet immediately. He ordered a stool sample to check for parasites, and all the results came back negative. In the mean time, he prescribed Flagyl Metronidazole, which firmed up his stool for about 2 days, and after that diarrhea has returned. He always manages to make it on time to his litter box, but I am quite worried as to what might be causing this gastrointestinal upset. During this whole time, he vomitted once (but it never occured again).

The blood in his stool is also gone....
When i got him, he was severely underweigh, with bones and ribcage quite prominent, weighin 700g. Now, only after 3 weeks that I had him, he is 1 500 g. Otherwise he looks quite healthy and playful... Any ideas as to the cause of all this?

Winston
January 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the site! I guess I would first start out by asking what your feeding? since you have been to the vet and it has reoccured I would start with food...

irinag07
January 23rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hey, Im feeding him Royal Canin food, the one for kittens under the age of 4 months. I've tried several other ones, and i found this one to be the best for him. I really dont know what's causing this? Should I try a diet or plain boiled chicken or turkey?

sugarcatmom
January 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Hey, Im feeding him Royal Canin food, the one for kittens under the age of 4 months. I've tried several other ones,

Wet or dry? Which other ones have you tried (brands, flavours, wet or dry)?

[QUOTE=irinag07;979143]and i found this one to be the best for him.

The best for him how? He still has diarrhea, so clearly it's certainly not helping in that department.

I really dont know what's causing this? Should I try a diet or plain boiled chicken or turkey?

The ingredients in Royal Canin are really quite poor, whether wet or dry - although at least if you're feeding wet, you have the addition of water which is extremely important. Not sure where you're located but you may be able to find some better quality canned foods like Wellness, Nature's Variety, Merrick, etc. Doesn't have to be specifically kitten food, just something with good quality protein, little to no grains, and WET.

Other things to consider would be adding a pinch of slippery elm bark powder to your kittens food. Helps balance moisture levels in the digestive tract. Probiotics may also be necessary to establish a healthy balance of intestinal flora.