Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two Senior Cats

sassylemon
January 22nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
A local shelter is waiving their adoption fees to someone who will adopt two 16 year old cats together.

My question is, is it easy to do that with having two cats, who are both a year and a half? I would like to help out these two girls out. Mine however are both clawed, and get along very well. Is it crazy to try and get my two young girls to get along or even tolerate with these two seniors? I don't have any experience in senior cats, so I don't have any idea as to whether or not it could even work.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18416700?rvp=1

According to this the two seniors are declawed :/

cpietra16
January 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks you so much for considering these two seniors. I have had seniors. I just lost them all this summer. Don't worry they were all well into their 20's.

I have had rescues as young as a few weeks old and like everyone...all cats no matter what their age have their own characters and tolerences.
My seniors did not really care about the younger cats in the house. The younger cats quickly realised that the seniors had the right of way, so to speak.

When you introduce them, you need to treat it like any other introduction...behind a closed door. Slowly. Trust me, cats know how to read other cats. Just don't rush the process. GOod luck

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
as long as you have the space to do a proper intro, I don't see an issue with it...a spare bedroom, or even a bathroom can work...so they can get used to each others scents and whatnot, with a door inbetween to prevent conflict.

When I brought an adult male into my house with two pre extisting adult males ( I was terrified, firstly lol), I used doors, and then baby gates...lots of cat nip and the feliway diffuser. They integrated rather quickly, but by quickly I mean a few weeks :)

I've never had a declawed cat, so I can't help you there.

I do hope you can help them out :)

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Awww sassylemon - here you go again. :grouphug: Thank you for wanting to care for these two.
They are obviously a very bonded pair if they are insisting they go together. You are familiar with how to introduce kitties. You've done it before not so long ago. :thumbs up With the two 16 year olds it may take longer. They will be fine in one room until the introductions are achieved successfully. At 16 they probably won't want much to do with the young whippersnappers but you never know. I will repost my fav site again if you would like some reminders on introducing cats. Must say I do not agree with all of the site but most is common sense stuff. Just remember the most important part of the whole process - patience. :thumbs up I'm sure you will do wonderfully.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Thank you again for caring so much!! :grouphug:

Love4himies
January 23rd, 2011, 08:24 AM
Awwwww :angel: :grouphug::grouphug:. I think the 2 seniors would be good to have with the two young ones, because once the young ones realize the seniors rule the house and may not have anything to do with them, they will leave them alone and play with each other again.

Jasper and Rose pretty much leave cranky Puddles alone and they play with each other and Sweet Pea.

chico2
January 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
Sassylemon,it would be wonderful for these poor girls to get a home,even if you are able to foster them as a start.
You have been getting great advice on intros,all I can say,give them time,lots of time.
The fact they are declawed:evil:,IMO,should not make a difference.
Since they have bonded,they will be perfectly happy spending time in a room together,getting to know you and the other kitties(eventually).
:grouphug:for thinking of these little girls,I am sure they'd be forever grateful.

sassylemon
January 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I was thinking I would give up my bedroom for them since my basement is going to be under renovations in about 2 weeks time and I would just sleep on the couch with my 2 girls, since they sleep with me everynight, but they don't go up there for any other reason then to go to bed with me. :cloud9:

Is there anything I need to know about seniors? Do they need special food or anything? Should I be putting some kind of blanket or bed on the floor for them or would they be content to sleep on my bed? What other kind of special considerations do I need to be aware of?

Sorry about all of the questions but I need to ask before I decide exactly what I am going to do. Leaning towards it naturally.......:cat:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Seniors should have a complete health panel done every year - blood, urine, etc - just to make sure they are in the best health they can be. No special food is required if you keep them on the quality canned diet your other two are on. Other than that - just enjoy. :cloud9::grouphug:

Love4himies
January 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM
For food, they just need quality canned food and annual blood work.

sassylemon
January 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I called the humane's society today and now I think its time to go and visit these girls. According to them, they both have no health problems and are only there because their owner had to go into Long Term Care. :( They have been together all of their lives and that is why they wanting them together.

Will update when I get home :)

Love4himies
January 24th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I called the humane's society today and now I think its time to go and visit these girls. According to them, they both have no health problems and are only there because their owner had to go into Long Term Care. :( They have been together all of their lives and that is why they wanting them together.

Will update when I get home :)

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::fingerscr::pray: :pray::pray:

You know healthy seniors are really easy to care for. You will hardly notice they are in your home :D :angel:

14+kitties
January 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
:grouphug: You go girl!! And thank you again. I'm blown away by your generosity and kindness. :grouphug::grouphug:
I'm sure the girls will fit in perfectly. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Hope you have a great visit, sassylemon! :goodvibes: Sounds like you've found a couple of sweet souls in need of an angel!

sassylemon
January 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
The visit went well, the girls were definately tired but they told me they had alot of school/community groups in today. I spent about 15-20 minutes with them, petting them but they weren't into letting me pick them up. I figure it would only be a matter of time. :D I even got a kiss. :lovestruck:

When I left they kind of both looked at me like :confused: Where are you going? All of the others were sleeping.

I filed out an application an now have to talk with the adoption co-ordinator tomorrow (if I get off work in time) or Wednesday.

:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: for these two kitties :)

14+kitties
January 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
The visit went well, the girls were definately tired but they told me they had alot of school/community groups in today. I spent about 15-20 minutes with them, petting them but they weren't into letting me pick them up. I figure it would only be a matter of time. :D I even got a kiss. :lovestruck:

When I left they kind of both looked at me like :confused: Where are you going? All of the others were sleeping.

I filed out an application an now have to talk with the adoption co-ordinator tomorrow (if I get off work in time) or Wednesday.

:fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: for these two kitties :)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug::grouphug::fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: and anything else you need to get these girls home. :angel:

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2011, 07:41 PM
WoooooHoooooooo!!!!

:highfive:

I hope it all works out for you! :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
January 24th, 2011, 10:02 PM
How sweet are you to take these two seniors in. Hoping and praying that your interview goes well and you'll soon be lovin up the new babes. Bless you for even trying.

chico2
January 25th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Sassy,LOVE you for what you are doing,I cannot see your application being denied:pray:
As for picking cats up,some kitties do not like being carried or feeling confined,that does not make them unfriendly.
I have only one kitty that loves to be carried around,he would stay in a baby-sling on me all day,if I let him:laughing:

Love4himies
January 25th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Wahoo!!!!! I don't think your application will be turned down.

BenMax
January 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM
BLESS YOUR WONDERFUL HEART:angel:

sassylemon
January 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Update....

Just got off the phone with the humane's society and guess who has two new fur-kids coming on Friday? :):cat::D

Thanks for all of the good vibes :):grouphug:

edited to add:

Neither one has had blood work done, but the vet who take care of the animals at the shelter, says they are physically in very good health, with the exception of some sneezing and what not, so she wanted to make sure that the youngun's had their shots up to day

14+kitties
January 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: THANK YOU!!!! :angel::angel::angel: I am sure with your love and devotion you will soon have a happy bunch of kitties. :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
January 26th, 2011, 02:24 PM
just got off the phone with the humane's society and guess who has two new fur-kids coming on friday? :):cat::d
:

yippeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dog Dancer
January 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
sassylemon this just makes my day! Bless your ever lovin heart for taking them in. There's a special place in heaven for our earth angels like you.:angel2:

hazelrunpack
January 26th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hurray!! :highfive: Congratulations!! You must be so excited!

LilMac
January 27th, 2011, 01:06 AM
:grouphug::party::thumbs up:):D:highfive:

This is so wonderful of you!!! Seniors make amazing pets!!! Hooray and congrats!!! You are an angel!:angel:

Love4himies
January 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Wahoo :thumbs up:highfive: :angel:.

sassylemon
January 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry about bumping this up again, but I need some :goodvibes:

I got a call from the humane's society today that I can come in and get the paperwork filled out, but I can unfortuatly only pick up Missy today. :(

Puurcy is at the vet due to all of the stress/cold, she is not eating very well and is dehydrated. They gave her some antibiotics and want to keep her overnight or possibly the weekend. :sick::( But on the plus side they went and did all of the bloodwork just to make sure she was alright internally and the vet said that her bloodwork is just like any healthy cat.:cat:

becmonchu
January 28th, 2011, 03:07 PM
I love that you came forth for these girls! i heard about their plight from the rescue i foster for. They are so lucky to have you!!! I hope Puurcy is feeling better.

I got a call from the humane's society today that I can come in and get the paperwork filled out, but I can unfortuatly only pick up Missy today. :(

Puurcy is at the vet due to all of the stress/cold, she is not eating very well and is dehydrated. They gave her some antibiotics and want to keep her overnight or possibly the weekend. :sick::( But on the plus side they went and did all of the bloodwork just to make sure she was alright internally and the vet said that her bloodwork is just like any healthy cat.:cat:

chico2
January 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Fingers and Paws crossed for Puurcy:pray:
Hopefully everything works out and these 2 older gals will both get their wonderful new home:grouphug:

14+kitties
January 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:
:fingerscr:fingerscr I hope they both make it home soon.

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Aw, I hope Purcy is feeling better soon!! :goodvibes:

How is Missy adjusting? They'll be so happy to see one another again when Purcy comes home, too!

Love4himies
January 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Sending lots of :goodvibes:. No surprise that this happened to one of them, poor kitties must be so stressed. Thank goodness you came along and this nightmare will soon be over for them :grouphug:

sassylemon
January 29th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Missy is upstairs in my room, but she isn't eating or drinking alot. Not even sure if she is really using the box too much. :shrug: I wish I knew what is going on with Purrcy. I think Missy might be a little sad without her buddy. :(

chico2
January 29th, 2011, 05:14 PM
She probably is a little confused and sad,:pray:hopefully Purrcy will soon be joining her:pray:
Why won't they call you and let you know what is going on with Purrcy,they must know you worry:(

sassylemon
January 29th, 2011, 05:36 PM
They did when I was out buying grocceries. When I called back they had all gone home. I even tried to call the vet to find out information but they were closed. :(

I feel bad for Missy. :pray: that I can get Purrcy on Monday.

14+kitties
January 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Missy is upstairs in my room, but she isn't eating or drinking alot. Not even sure if she is really using the box too much. :shrug: I wish I knew what is going on with Purrcy. I think Missy might be a little sad without her buddy. :(

That actually sounds about normal. You can check for dehydration by pinching the spot behind her neck. If the skin snaps back quickly she is ok. If not she is most likely dehydrated which is a cause for concern. She would be missing Purrcy and will be stressed being in a strange place. It's a lot of changes for the poor girl. Hopefully they will let Purrcy come home Monday. That will most likely make both of them a little less stressed. I wish in cases like this they would take both cats to the vet just to keep them together.
Good luck. I will be thinking of you. :grouphug:

sassylemon
January 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks 14+ I went and checked and I think she might be a little dehydrated, so I called the emergency vet and she said to make sure she has lots of canned food, so I brought her some, the HS gave me some of the dry food they were giving them, so it would hopefully make it easier on them to have something somewhat familiar.

I will keep an eye on her and if nothing changes in the next few hours, I am going to take her in to get checked.

14+kitties
January 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks 14+ I went and checked and I think she might be a little dehydrated, so I called the emergency vet and she said to make sure she has lots of canned food, so I brought her some, the HS gave me some of the dry food they were giving them, so it would hopefully make it easier on them to have something somewhat familiar.

I will keep an eye on her and if nothing changes in the next few hours, I am going to take her in to get checked.

Oh yikes!! I never thought of the crappy food they would have given you.
Ok, could you please add some water to the canned food? That will ensure she is getting at least more fluids. If she is shying away from the food try some juice from tuna. If you don't have low sodium tuna then add a bit of water to the juice. It may help her a bit. You don't have to add the juice to the food. Just give it to her on a saucer. If she wants some tuna let her have some of that too. Better that than nothing, right?
I bet once her sister comes back she will start to come around. :grouphug::grouphug:

sassylemon
January 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM
14+ -she took wonderfully to the wet food,
I don't know if she should have more or not. How much do you feed your cats a day? Should she have as much food as the younger cats? So many questions...lol What brand exactly do you feed them? Is Friskies wet food alright? That is what I had on hand so the 3 of them shared a can.

Thanks everybody for all of the advice you are giving me to help Missy (and Purrcy when she comes) adjust to life with me. On the plus side, Missy let me pick her up and she was purring a little but its better then nothing.

TeriM
January 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM
On the plus side, Missy let me pick her up and she was purring a little but its better then nothing.

Sounds like a wonderful first step to me :cloud9:. Hopefully you can get Purrcy home soon :fingerscr. Congrats on your new additions :highfive:.

chico2
January 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Sassy,it's great you got her to eat and even pick her up:thumbs up
Friskies is not great food,but it is a huge improvement from crappy dry food.
I would give her what she likes,
later when they are both settled you can change to a better brand.

My cats get Wellness canned,but there are many choices,some that are quiet pricey,especially with 4 cats.

My 2 cats,share one 5,5oz can in the morning and one at night,mid-day they get a little treat of a small can of Fancy Feast(maybe not recommended,but they love it:cat:).

I always add water to the canned food since my Vinnie does not drink much,
:pray:Purrcy will be home soon:pray::pray:

14+kitties
January 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
14+ -she took wonderfully to the wet food,
I don't know if she should have more or not. How much do you feed your cats a day? Should she have as much food as the younger cats? So many questions...lol What brand exactly do you feed them? Is Friskies wet food alright? That is what I had on hand so the 3 of them shared a can.

Thanks everybody for all of the advice you are giving me to help Missy (and Purrcy when she comes) adjust to life with me. On the plus side, Missy let me pick her up and she was purring a little but its better then nothing.

If you give her more after her eating that stuff she's been eating at the shelter you will probably be dealing with diarrhea. She may get it anyway if she isn't used to canned. I would start off with small amounts several times a day. She should probably be eating a can a day when she is acclimated to it. No, Friskies is not a great food. But, as chico said, it is 100% better than dry food. It's what my gang get fed but that's because there are so many. I simply could not afford to feed more. :(
What you want to look for ideally are grain free, by product free canned foods. They are not the cheapest. Especially when you are feeding more than one cat. Wellness, Innova Evo, Natural Balance, etc all can be found at pet stores like Pet Valu or Global in Ontario. They are all pricey but a good quality food goes a longer way. The kitties would be retaining far more nutrients with that food than they would with the cheaper ones.
Fancy Feast is ok to feed as long as you stick to the pate types. The others contain wheat gluten which was the major contributer on the large pet food recall in '07.
Continued :goodvibes::fingerscr for the kitties.

sassylemon
January 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks again, you guys are :angel2::angel:

Has anyone heard of Natural Choice? I went to the pet store, because it is right where I run on Sunday mornings and that is what was recommended to me. :shrug: He said I can go more expensive and cheaper but that is what he recommended for me. :shrug: I bought a couple of cans but just want some more thoughts before I buy more.

sugarcatmom
January 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Has anyone heard of Natural Choice?

Not a fan. It's made by Nutro, who was heavily involved in the big pet food recall of 2007, and contains too many inappropriate ingredients like wheat gluten, starch, beet pulp and MSG. I'd pick Fancy Feast over Nutro any day. But if you have a tight budget, it's often cheaper to get the jumbo cans of Wellness, Eagle Pack, or Innova Evo 95% to share amongst 4 cats rather than getting a bunch of those wee little 3oz cans.

Winston
January 30th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I find that Natural Balance is a reasonable price. They usually have a plan where you buy so many and get some free.

Hoping your gal feels better when her buddy is back!

Cindy

chico2
January 30th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I buy some Natural Balance+Wellness and my cats seem to like it,it's only $1,59 for a 5,5ounce can as compared to Wellness at $ 1,99.
Wellness is still my choice though.
I used to get the large cans of Wellness when Rocky was still with me(:()

rainbow
January 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I just read this thread now and wanted to say thank you for adopting these two older kitties together. :angel: :grouphug:

The kitty gurus have given you all the advice you need so far ......they have helped so many members here. :thumbs up

Glad Missy is starting to feel comfortable in her new home and hope Purrcy gets to join you tomorrow :fingerscr .....and, looking forward to pics. :goodvibes:

14+kitties
January 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Sending lots of :goodvibes::fingerscr Purrcy gets to join you at home tonight.
I was thinking that after being separated a few days and Purrcy being at the vet she is going to smell very different to Missy. If at all possible before putting them back together again either use baby powder or vanilla on both of them. Missy will not like Purrcy's change of smell. The best thing to do is to rub baby powder on your hands and then pet Purrcy. Get the smell all over her, particularily around the butt area and the cheeks. These are the areas that cats check out first on each other. Then do the same to Missy. She is going to smell different to Purrcy too as she has now got your smell.
Alternatively, if you don't have baby powder or you don't like the thoughts of using it on them you can use vanilla. Take a drop or so and apply it under the cats' chins and on the base of the tail. That will help disguise the different smells too.
You can expect some hissing and posturing. It may not happen but it could. They have been separated for a few days. It's normal.
Good luck sassy.

sassylemon
January 31st, 2011, 02:02 PM
I need lots of :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: for Purrcy right now.....right now it doesn't look good....:cry:

I never brought her home so why I am so :cry:

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2011, 02:09 PM
I need lots of :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes: for Purrcy right now.....right now it doesn't look good....:cry:

What have you heard? What is the Humane Society doing to treat her? Is she eating?

:grouphug:

sassylemon
January 31st, 2011, 02:18 PM
The humane society has been in contact with the vet all weekend.

They are concerned that she has a heart murmur. She throws up when they try and force feed her, because she won't eat herself. She is being fed threw liquids, but they had to cut down because she her heart is jumping like crazy when they give her liquids. She has been at the vets since Thursday. They thought the reason she wasn't well was due to a bladder infection which they have ruled out, and her bloodwork was fine so they don't know what is wrong with her. They said she is resting comfortably right now.

Right now they are just trying to figure out what the most humane thing to do is...

:goodvibes::fingerscr for Purrcy please

sassylemon
January 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM
With the recent developments should I be in a hurry to get Missy to a vet for a check up?

I still have not heard either way about a final decision....:fingerscr I will let you all know what happens either way.

chico2
January 31st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Oh no Sassy,I thought the two kitties were relatively healthy:shrug:
:pray::pray:for Purrcy for sure,I was really hoping she would be able to live out her life in a loving home:(as was your intention too and I thank you for it:grouphug:

Many cats have heart murmurs,depending on the severity,they can live long lives,lets hope that's the case with Purrcy:fingerscr

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Can they give her an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine (which also helps with nausea)?

Forgot to mention that antibiotics can make cats feel nauseous. Do you know what antibiotic she was given?

sassylemon
January 31st, 2011, 05:57 PM
I have no idea what was giving to her at all. I have to trust that they know what is best for her....

Right now, the humane's society is taking care of all costs. The phone not ringing is driving me crazy. :wall:

rainbow
January 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Purrcy :grouphug: .....hope they are able to find out what is wrong quickly and she is soon on the road to recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
January 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM
You are feeling sad because you love her sassy. :grouphug: I wish they would release her to you. I wonder if she is missing her sister and is so stressed over that and being in a strange place she is making herself sick. They have been together their whole life. Separating them may be the catalyst to her making herself ill. Especially if she is the weaker one to start with.
She needs to eat. She needs to be with her sister. Maybe you could suggest that? She could recover and get better at your house just as well as at a vets' impersonal office. :(
I feel so bad for you. I hope things turn around for Purrcy.

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2011, 08:28 PM
She needs to eat. She needs to be with her sister. Maybe you could suggest that? She could recover and get better at your house just as well as at a vets' impersonal office. :(

That's what I'm thinking.

And I hate to say it, but not every vet is going to know what's best in every situation. There are many absolutely amazing vets out there, but just like any profession, there are some that ain't so great. I would hate for them to be focussing on a red-herring heart murmur when the actual problem is nausea caused by antibiotics. I know there's not a whole lot you can do about it, sassylemon. Must be very frustrating! Wishing Purrcy a full recovery..... :pray:

chico2
February 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Sassy,I feel the same as 14+ and SCM,I am hoping the HS will release her to you and her companion.

I still notice the effect on my remaining 2 cats after my Rocky passed:(

Some cats are fine at the vets,but my 3(now 2)get totally stressed out every time we go to the vet and my vet is a wonderful man.
Stress can cause havoc even with healthy cats...:(
:pray:the cats will be reunited very soon:pray:

Love4himies
February 1st, 2011, 08:53 AM
You are feeling sad because you love her sassy. :grouphug: I wish they would release her to you. I wonder if she is missing her sister and is so stressed over that and being in a strange place she is making herself sick. They have been together their whole life. Separating them may be the catalyst to her making herself ill. Especially if she is the weaker one to start with.
I feel so bad for you. I hope things turn around for Purrcy.

Exactly what I am thinking. The worse thing they could do is separate them, how dumb :wall::wall: are vets :frustrated:. Hopefully you can convince them to allow her to come home to be in a quiet room with her sister. If her bloodwork is fine, then I don't see the problem with it.

sassylemon
February 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=981313#post981313

TeriM
February 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
I'm so sorry that Purrcy wasn't able to make it home :cry:. I am however so thankful that Missy is with you as she would have been so stressed being alone at the shelter. How is she settling?

diandpat
February 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm so sorry that Purrcy wasn't able to make it home :cry:. I am however so thankful that Missy is with you as she would have been so stressed being alone at the shelter. How is she settling?

I was thinking the same thing myself. If it was cancer and Purrcy was going to pass anyways, thank God for you that Missy is already somewhere safe and loved. Bless you!!!

dbg10
February 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
I just read this thread and am so happy Sassy that you took Missy you are an angel :angel:

Last year I took a 12 year old male dog that was bonded to his sister but just before I was to take them both, the rescue found out she had cancer so I took him alone. He settled in very well to my home and didn't seem to miss his sister at all. I hope the same is true for you Sassy. Missy should settle in especially since you have two younger kitties for her to play with. It was probably good that you took Missy before Purrcy passed because Missy probably would have passed soon after if she had still been at the hs.

Best of luck to you, please let us know how she's doing :):thumbs up :angel: