Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats Vomiting

barbaralynn
January 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
I am so tired of the cat food that is available for cats. My cats vomit a lot and I have tried every brand of cat food on the market and nothing seems to cure this problem for any length of time.

Why can't they make a product that actually is beneficial for them? They are suppose to be meat eaters but yet all brands of cat form are made of grain products.

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Are you talking canned or dry? You can get grain free dry like Taste of the Wild, Blue, Innova, Wellness Core, Before Grain etc at pet food stores like Pet Valu and Global.
Canned there is even a wider variety and it is also much better for your cat. There is grain free Wellness, Innova Evo, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Go, Felidae (sp), etc.
There is also the ultimate diet for cats - raw. You can get raw 100% balanced frozen at PV and Global as well as make your own.
You may want to check out this website. www.catinfo.org. It explains why cats should not eat dry food. Well worth reading. :thumbs up

Ooops, just noticed you are in the States. I know that most of this food is also available there. Just not sure what stores. You could do a google search to find out what pet food stores carry them.

Loki Love
January 22nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
My Molly used to vomit *a lot* - hairballs especially, but even just eating too quickly. Since we've made the change to canned only (grain-free) - she rarely, if ever, vomits. She still has her days (she's a nervous nelly so I think it's in relation to that, plus Mr Miyagi being a complete beast around her) but it's really improved since making the switch to canned only.

I would also want to be sure that the vomiting is not an underlying cause for anything else. Since Mr Miyagi had his massive constipation problem a few months back, I'm always on the watch with him and vomiting.

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
you should be able to pick up TOTW at a reasonable price in most feed stores in AZ...the big box places do not carry it...

the big boxes will carry BLUE and WELLNESS...but if you can find it at a feed store it will be cheaper. :)

orijen is very hard IMO to find in the US compared to the others, at least where I am. When I did find it, it was horrendously expensive.

DougG
February 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I would also want to be sure that the vomiting is not an underlying cause for anything else.

I'll second that - a few years ago when my Silky (female blue-cream Himalayan) started barfing a couple of times a day and it turned out she had a really nasty urinary tract infection that took months to cure. She's been doing just fine ever since and if she upchucks these days, it's a furball.

Some cats are just barfers to begin with but if you haven't already done so, you might want to have your kitties checked by your vet just to be on the safe side.