Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog & being sick

kian
September 20th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Okay, first of all, my dog is small and about 8 years old. I first noticed her acting really weird this recent Friday evening, she normall barks to come in the door from our dog yard- and well, she didn't.

Then she didn't want to jump on my bed, so I had to pick her up - something I haven't had to do since she was about two.

Anyways, Saturday she wouldn't eat or drink. We managed to get her to eat one of her dog treats though, but that's because she loves them. She would stand up and shiver, pant a lot, and either be sitting by a wall shivering or looking for somewhere to sit. She didn't want to sit near me or anything.

The vet we took her to that day said she might have a yeast infection and checked her blood count, put her on some antibiotics (spelling?) and gave her some shot of something. He said to try and give her "Cod Liver Oil" and canned dog food. We would, if she would eat.

Well, she can't poop or pee. We put her outside, since she's always trembling and stuff, and well, she just can't. She still won't bark and will sit with her butt on the ground unless she's outside.

Anyone have any advice?

Oh, we also have a younger but bigger dog that, I think, is making her nervous when she goes outside. And my mom says to stand out there with her - a lot of good that does since as soon as she sees me she just holds still.
My little dog (the one who's sick) also can't really run or walk fast, or if she does get to a dog's normal walking speed she'll suddenly stop putting her butt on the floor until you pass her a little bit or call her name to move (nicely of course).
And, if this might help - we keep our dog food in a container we've used for years and put it in a dog bowl we've used for longer than the container. We leave the food out all day and night and refill with a 1/2 - 1 cup scoop or until the bowl is about half way full. We also try to keep fresh water every 6-8 hours.

Please help, I'm really worried about my dog.

Goldenmom
September 20th, 2004, 12:35 PM
In my opinion, your dog needs to go back to the vet as soon as possible. It appears more is going on with this dog than they discovered when she was in before. If this vet can't find something the matter, try another vet. Your gut is telling you something seriously is wrong, so you need to act on that.

A dog that doesn't pee or poop? Now that is a problem!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

GsdDiamond
September 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM
It sounds like it could be one of two things:

1: Poisoning.
2: Obstruction of the bowel.

I'm thinking more of #2 on this one. Get an x-ray done and see what's going on inside.

debanneball
September 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM
When Lady couldn't poop or pee, she had a twisted bowel....GET BACK TO THAT VET!!!!! :eek: