Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

insert catchy title here...

Criosphynx
January 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM
Hi everyone.:party:

I just found this forum, and was poking around, I liked what I saw, so signed up :)

I have five rescue dogs and three rescue cats, I also have kept and bred many exotics, primarily reptiles. :) My dogs are all special needs, two are disabled, and two came to me with immune system issues.

I am a devout clicker trainer and a member of the APDT. I've trained many species, and mostly am a trick and behavior mod type of trainer.. So I will probably bore you all with trick videos and stories. :)

Anyway, I know intros are boring so heres som' doggy pictures..:dog:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/dec302010/emmarockpath.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/dec302010/crittersquitgate.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/dec302010/alertwiwipine.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/chili/18wk002.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/dogs/camotip.jpg

:)

good to meet you all :)

Melinda
January 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM
what gorgeous babies!! welcome to the forum, and you go right ahead and bore us with video's, pictures etc.

aslan
January 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Welcome Criosphynx,,your babies are gorgeous..lol glad to see you come over from the other forum.

Love4himies
January 21st, 2011, 08:12 AM
Welcome Criosphynx,,your babies are gorgeous..lol glad to see you come over from the other forum.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Welcome and bless you for rescuing :lovestruck:.

You are going to fit in quite well here. ;)

quincymycat
January 21st, 2011, 09:06 AM
Welcome Criosphynx! Thought I recognized your name from the other forum when we were stalking our mutual Troll. :laughing: :laughing:

marko
January 21st, 2011, 09:36 AM
Wonderful pix Criosphynx - Welcome!

14+kitties
January 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM
Your doggies are all beautiful but um, cats? I don't see pics of your kitties. :( Please see if you can rectify that. Oh and welcome to Pets. :D:thumbs up

chico2
January 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM!!

Like 14+ said hmmmmm Kitties please;)
Love your pics of the pups,a nice mixture you have there,you are wonderful for rescuing special needs dogs,who might otherwise be over-looked:grouphug:

But now some kittie-pics please:cat::cat::cat:

BenMax
January 21st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Nice to meet you and you are going to fit right in!:thumbs up

Thank you for rescueing hard to place pets.
Yes - we need kitty pictures...:cat: and scaley pictures as well.

hedgiemama
January 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
welcome to the board !

what great pictures of your puppers ! but what about the kitties and the reptiles ? :D

and please feel free to post all the videos and stories you want!

and thank you for adopting pets that wouldn't have as great a chance, you will definitely fit in well here.

mastifflover
January 21st, 2011, 03:31 PM
Welcome Criosphynx! Thought I recognized your name from the other forum when we were stalking our mutual Troll. :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome and your doggies are beautiful. But post pics of your cats too we have lots of cat lovers here too and they need there fix of cuteness (of the feline persuasion:laughing:) too

hazelrunpack
January 21st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the board, Criosphynx! I agree with the rest, though--I think you owe us a few more pics. :D Not that we'd ever be pushy, of course :angel: (But...um...any time now!! :p)

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 12:07 PM
hahahah, thanks everyone. I have 13,000+ posts (even tho it says 6k ish, i had it trimmed) and many years invested in the other forum, but I did like the rescue and friendly atmosphere here, I hope you all don't mind an american in your mitst...lol

how'd I know I'd get scolded for no cat pic...lol...I didn't know how many photos per post the software allowed, so I just did the dogs for the moment...

lets see what I can dig up...the cats are notorious for being hard to photograph..

as far as rescuing, its the only way for *me* personally. I live in a very high kill area, in I believe the 1st or 2nd highest kill state.

This is Twitchy, I got him from a lady at walmart at 10:30 at night. I figured a black kitten (older kitten) with severly infected eyes was either going to not find a home, or get taken by som' one who wasn't going to vet him. I feel like an enabler for taking him, but... *sigh*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3qN5IpAJPU

this is Mr.Biscuit. I got him from the local highkill here...they thought he was a GIRL because he came in already neutered and I guess that "never" happens there...lol

we've had him 5 years and he was just diagnosed with HD, hyperthyroid and a heart condition. He can get a clot and die at any moment :(

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j310/Criosphynx/mau%20mau/IMG_1772.jpg

I just realized I don't have any decent pics of the "new" cat. Villain. The best I have is this fuzzy video...anyway, hes a ragdoll mix...and he just appeared on our driveway, with his leg torn up by a dog. $300 at the E vet later, I suddenly had a third cat as no one claimed him:laughing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ul_AdOWBtg

anyway, good to be here....oh and as far as the reptiles go, I don't really keep many anymore...I've changed my focus to rescue about two years ago when I was seeing the massive number of snakes being dumped. In the past tho, I bred and kept a list too long to mention.

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Aww how sweet!! And thank you! Loved the videos. It would be neat to have the time to try to train a few of mine like that but at this time - not possible. I love your Twitchy. You're right in that you were probably an enabler but there are times... I've had a few of those times too. :o That's how I ended up with a couple of my ummm - six black kitties. They are the last to be adopted. They are also the ones used in many different rituals which never come out on the good side for them. :(
Villain - cute!! He learns quickly from looks of things.
Mr. Biscuit - gotta love him. 97% of orange cats are male and they couldn't figure that out? In the picture you posted it's pretty easy to see he's all boy.

As for being American - we don't mind. We have quite a few American members. Even some from across the ocean. It's all good. :thumbs up

chico2
January 22nd, 2011, 05:16 PM
They are adorable,love the video:cloud9:
Villain looks anything but a villain,beautiful :lovestruck:
I too have a black kitty,also a white one, lost my Tabby-Boy in september to Thyroidcancer:(still miss him every day..

We have trained our cats petty good too,cats IMO are very trainable,if people would give them the time.

In 14+ case,she's excused,for obvious reasons:cat:kitty cats galore:cat:

Let's :pray:beautiful Biscuit will be with you a long time yet,he looks really cuddly:lovestruck:
Forgot to say,we have no borders here,the only requirement is a love of animals..you'll fit right in!

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
thank you all :)

I would love to have more cats, but my inn is full ATM. I actually was a cat person, and started with a "catlike" dog.

He charmed me and the next dog was semi "catlike" and slightly doglike...and so on and so forth...my 5th dog is allllll go go go typical high strung, allll personality dog. So I have come to be quite enamoured with both:lovestruck:

I find the cats are eager to learn, but take a while to learn the mechanics, things like to watch my face and take food from my fingers don't seem to come as naturally to them :) I do find that they retain behaviors much better than a dog does. :)

I am totally digging the emoticons...oh my GAWD:crazy:

mastifflover
January 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
I hope you all don't mind an american in your mitst...lol

Are you kidding we have people from all over the world here and lots of Americans. But one thing we all have in common is we are animal lovers.
Your kittys are very cute.

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Are you kidding we have people from all over the world here and lots of Americans. But one thing we all have in common is we are animal lovers.
Your kittys are very cute.

yeah, I see them now...when I lurked for a few days I didn't notice anyone outside of canada :p

maybe I am blind :)

If it helps, my SO used to talk constantly about moving to CA, we've since compromised...growing up in an area that gets no snowfall, I figured I'd die in a winter that wasn't mild. :p

aslan
January 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
omg,,be thankful you compromised,,it's friggen cold here right now and snowing and yeah can i come stay with you til spring..:D

Rgeurts
January 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I know I'm a bit late, as usual lol. From one American to another... welcome to the board!! Your puppers are just gorgeous :lovestruck: :cloud9:

The kitties are very beautiful too!

I'm just starting to clicker train and would love to see any videos you have!

You said a couple of yours have immune issues. Would you mind sharing the specific conditions? One of mine has many issues. He's come a long way, but still has far to go and is only 10.5 months old.

I look forward to reading your posts, looking at pics and watching the videos! :D

Dee-O-Gee
January 22nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
A warm welcome from the Great White North! :)

Your pictures and stories are true to this forum and something we all love to share in.

71724 to your new forum Criosphynx! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 22nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Even the some of the States are a tad frigid these days, aslan... I think we're colder than you are! :p

Loved the videos, Criosphynx! My Ms Macie learned some of the same commands as your cats this summer! She admired their grace and the fact that they can do a spin on a chair without falling off! :p

Sorry about Mr Biscuit :(, but I hope he gives you many more years! :goodvibes:

Soooo....have you clicker-trained the snakes, too? Now that would be something to see! :D

Criosphynx
January 22nd, 2011, 11:54 PM
Hazel ive actually CT an asian water monitor. He learned to target and come when called. I have seen video of snakes doing target work so it is possible

The cats tricks are so basic that i hardly like mentioning it. The dogs do more advanced stuff :)

I know I'm a bit late, as usual lol. From one American to another... welcome to the board!! Your puppers are just gorgeous :lovestruck: :cloud9:

The kitties are very beautiful too!

I'm just starting to clicker train and would love to see any videos you have!

You said a couple of yours have immune issues. Would you mind sharing the specific conditions? One of mine has many issues. He's come a long way, but still has far to go and is only 10.5 months old.

I look forward to reading your posts, looking at pics and watching the videos! :D the pit bull and the tan mutt had generalized demodex mange as puppies. Severe as in no-hair-at-all. My understanding is this points to immune dysfunction rather than simply immune system imaturity

Chili had more infections than i can list. Inside and out. Knock on wood hes been infection free for a bit over a year. Kiwi my pit bull still struggles with yeast occasionally. Once it becomes systemic its more about management than cure

Sorry if the quotes are screwy. I am "trying" to post from my smart phone :)

Even the some of the States are a tad frigid these days, aslan... I think we're colder than you are! :p

Loved the videos, Criosphynx! My Ms Macie learned some of the same commands as your cats this summer! She admired their grace and the fact that they can do a spin on a chair without falling off! :p

Sorry about Mr Biscuit :(, but I hope he gives you many more years! :goodvibes:

Soooo....have you clicker-trained the snakes, too? Now that would be something to see! :D

Rgeurts
January 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
the pit bull and the tan mutt had generalized demodex mange as puppies. Severe as in no-hair-at-all. My understanding is this points to immune dysfunction rather than simply immune system imaturity

Chili had more infections than i can list. Inside and out. Knock on wood hes been infection free for a bit over a year. Kiwi my pit bull still struggles with yeast occasionally. Once it becomes systemic its more about management than cure

Ah, ok. My babies is quite different. I haven't found anyone yet, on any forum who has had similar issues. I don't want to say I was hoping you had, as I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but would be nice to compare notes lol. I am sending many :goodvibes: and :pray: that it does not turn systemic for yours :)