Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is too much tuna juice bad for a cat? If so how much is too much?

mdrew
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 PM
History:
My overweight cat is in recovery for liver failure from eating a day lily approx 3 weeks ago. he is still fairly jaundice and is not eating on his own but he is definitely getting stronger and better at fighting off the syringe lol). Some of the pink has returned to his nose and green to his eyes. We love him so much and tuna juice is the only thing that he has eaten on his own. He is currently on a Medi-Cal recovery food (every 4-5 hours with 10cc water and 5cc Dextrose) and an anti-vomit pill, Apo-Metoclop 5mg every 12hrs. Our vet has taken him off the antibiotics and an anti-vomit liquid that went 2 hrs before them.
Is there something else I could offer him that would encourage him to eat or drink on his own?
Any and all opinions on the tuna and his condition and very much appreciated!
Thank you,
Melanie Drew

Goldenbear
January 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
History:
My overweight cat is in recovery for liver failure from eating a day lily approx 3 weeks ago. he is still fairly jaundice and is not eating on his own but he is definitely getting stronger and better at fighting off the syringe lol). Some of the pink has returned to his nose and green to his eyes. We love him so much and tuna juice is the only thing that he has eaten on his own. He is currently on a Medi-Cal recovery food (every 4-5 hours with 10cc water and 5cc Dextrose) and an anti-vomit pill, Apo-Metoclop 5mg every 12hrs. Our vet has taken him off the antibiotics and an anti-vomit liquid that went 2 hrs before them.
Is there something else I could offer him that would encourage him to eat or drink on his own?
Any and all opinions on the tuna and his condition and very much appreciated!
Thank you,
Melanie Drew
Keep offering the tuna juice...our Toby 7 year boy ( indoor-only cat ) highly recommends it:thumbs up. It will be another way to gauge his recovery of his natural appetite:cat:.
Keep offering the tuna whenever you think he is interested, keeping it covered & refrigerated when not in use.
The liquids help hydrate him plus keep his kidneys/liver filtering/functioning to filter out toxins in conjunction with the benefits of the medications.
We have asked our vet plus various feline nutritionists about this and were in formed that it not only provides an excellent source of protein plus the juice acts as a form of dental cleaner ( keeps their teeth cleaner:goodvibes:).
Toby usually consumes a 170g can of Flaked Light Tuna -Low Sodium In Water (Clover Leaf brand is his favourite :lovestruck:) every 4 days during fall& winter on top of his other regular dry holistic foods & treats.
His consumption will drop in spring & summer.:shrug:
I hope this information of some help:fingerscr....
Question:How old is he & what kind of breed is he?
We had to deal with serious medical issues like Diabetes & dental infections causing heart problems with our older 2 cats many years ago that were very distressing to deal with so it seems that there are no quick fixes - lots of time & patience are needed...
Good luck & I hope he gets better soon:pawprint:

Love4himies
January 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I personally would be concerned about the sodium content of the tuna juice, so as suggested low sodium.

I thought lily poisoning affected the kidneys :shrug:. Did your kitty develop fatty liver disease from not eating after the poisoning?

Getting a sick cat is always a challenge. Have you tried canned Fancy Feast as it seems to be like kitty crack :laughing: That way you are getting full nutrition into your kitty? Other ideas are:

sprinkling parmesan cheese
sprinkling freeze dried salmon or chicken
chicken baby food (no onions)
sprinkling pulverized Temptation Treats

rainbow
January 19th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I thought that lilies affected the kidneys as well.

Also, it's not only the high sodium content in the tuna but mercury accumulation as well.

14+kitties
January 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I can empathize with you. My Benni had liver issues and was force fed for a few months before finally starting to eat on her own. When she started eating it was tuna (low sodium). Actually tuna was the only thing she would eat for a long time. I know salt is not good for cats but at that point I was just glad she was eating anything on her own.
Because I have a few other cats around :rolleyes: and also because she hates them all she had a large dog crate for her recovery. I was persistent in always having the tuna available for her but also a good quality canned cat food. I switched it up until I found something she would eat. Eventually she started eating it too. The canned she started eating wasn't exactly high quality but I was ecstatic she had started eating on her own.
Now what I do is still give her her tuna but I water the juice down by half. After she had gone through that juice I will add more water to the tuna that is left over. Might not be an ideal diet for her but she is still eating.
Have you tried Before Grain cat food available at good pet stores? Global and Pet Valu usually carry it. It comes in tuna, chicken and a few other varieties. Maybe kitty will like something like that.

What would he be eating normally if I could ask?

mdrew
January 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Keep offering the tuna juice...our Toby 7 year boy ( indoor-only cat ) highly recommends it:thumbs up. It will be another way to gauge his recovery of his natural appetite:cat:.
Keep offering the tuna whenever you think he is interested, keeping it covered & refrigerated when not in use.
The liquids help hydrate him plus keep his kidneys/liver filtering/functioning to filter out toxins in conjunction with the benefits of the medications.
We have asked our vet plus various feline nutritionists about this and were in formed that it not only provides an excellent source of protein plus the juice acts as a form of dental cleaner ( keeps their teeth cleaner:goodvibes:).
Toby usually consumes a 170g can of Flaked Light Tuna -Low Sodium In Water (Clover Leaf brand is his favourite :lovestruck:) every 4 days during fall& winter on top of his other regular dry holistic foods & treats.
His consumption will drop in spring & summer.:shrug:
I hope this information of some help:fingerscr....
Question:How old is he & what kind of breed is he?
We had to deal with serious medical issues like Diabetes & dental infections causing heart problems with our older 2 cats many years ago that were very distressing to deal with so it seems that there are no quick fixes - lots of time & patience are needed...
Good luck & I hope he gets better soon:pawprint:

thank you! he and his brother are (of course) rescues, i would absolutely never, under no conditions take in any animal other than a rescue! Anyways lol, 5yrs and tuxedo colouring. I was a foster mom for thier litter so they have been under my care since 2 weeks after being born :). Needless to say, we are all very attached to each other hahahaha.

mdrew
January 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I can empathize with you. My Benni had liver issues and was force fed for a few months before finally starting to eat on her own. When she started eating it was tuna (low sodium). Actually tuna was the only thing she would eat for a long time. I know salt is not good for cats but at that point I was just glad she was eating anything on her own.
Because I have a few other cats around :rolleyes: and also because she hates them all she had a large dog crate for her recovery. I was persistent in always having the tuna available for her but also a good quality canned cat food. I switched it up until I found something she would eat. Eventually she started eating it too. The canned she started eating wasn't exactly high quality but I was ecstatic she had started eating on her own.
Now what I do is still give her her tuna but I water the juice down by half. After she had gone through that juice I will add more water to the tuna that is left over. Might not be an ideal diet for her but she is still eating.
Have you tried Before Grain cat food available at good pet stores? Global and Pet Valu usually carry it. It comes in tuna, chicken and a few other varieties. Maybe kitty will like something like that.

What would he be eating normally if I could ask?

He usually eats anything put in front of him lol

growler~GateKeeper
January 30th, 2011, 02:19 AM
From http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm#fish

Fish is not an ideal food for cats for a number of reasons:

If you feed a cat any fish diet exclusively, the cat can develop a condition called steatitis (yellow fat disease), which is caused by a Vitamin E deficiency resulting from the imbalanced diet. Firstly the cat becomes very nervous, and then becomes hypersensitive in all the nerve endings of its skin, so it is very painful for the cat to be touched.

Fish lacks taurine, an amino acid which cats need to obtain from their food. A lack of taurine in a cat's diet can cause heart and eye problems.

Tuna can be a problem for other reasons:

Firstly, it can be a very addictive food for some cats, to the extent that they will refuse to eat anything else.

The US Food and Drug Administration has guidelines on the amount of tuna that pregnant women can safely eat. However, the US Environmental Working Group, which worked on the studies with the FDA, believes that that human-grade tuna has unusually high levels of the toxic metal methylmercury. They recommend that pregnant women should not eat tuna at all, and that children should eat tuna no more often than once a week. Human-grade tuna tends to consist of the white "meat", while animal-grade tuna tends to consist of the lower grade red "meat", so, at least in theory, animal-grade tuna could contain more pollutants.

You might decide to feed human grade tuna instead, but that does not avoid another problem associated with tuna, namely vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency. Cats who eat tuna regularly can develop this problem - symptoms are often neurological and include dilation of the pupils, loss of balance, seizures and death if left untreated.

I would find something else your cat will eat & wean off the tuna/tuna juice especially in light of the liver issues.

Have you tried cooked chicken?