Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

opening a small dog kennel

cateyes221981
January 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
does anyone know where i can get information for ontario in opening a small dog kennel? just wanted to start with 2 or 4 dogs to see how it went?

it would be on a comercial property i just cant find any rules or laws about opening such a thing?

cateyes221981
January 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
place will be indoors and have a large yard

pbpatti
January 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hi, are you going to live onsite?
My favorite choice of boarding my dogs is in peoples homes. There are a couple in Edmopnton and area, I much prefer leaving my dog in a home atmosphere rather then locked in a kennel. Something to think about. patti

cateyes221981
January 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
yes i will be but i am not sure what the legal info is? i just wanted to do small amount i wonder if i still need a permit?

BMDLuver
January 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
you need a permit and they aren't hard to come by depending on what part of Ontario you are in? I can get one here from my dog control.

cateyes221981
January 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
i am in kingston ontario does the amount of land matter? do u know what the permit requires? thanks

clm
January 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
you need to contact the city of Kingston to find out what the by-laws are for your area and what you would require.

clm

luckypenny
January 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
If you plan on running a legitimate business and operating on commercial property, you will also have to register with both provincial and federal revenue agencies in addition to acquiring insurance (property and liability).

Love4himies
January 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
You will need to contact the City of Kingston to get clarification.

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/cityhall/bylaws/index.asp

Longblades
January 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
It's not clear to me whether you mean a boarding kennel or a breeding kennel?

Neigbours near me always wanted to do both, breed and board. One of our municipal regulations which prevented them from doing either was a requirement for 300 feet of road frontage for their property. I presume this was to offer some buffer space from other neighbours who might object to noise or smell.

I myself would like to see the operators of any boarding kennel I use have some credentials in veterinary care, behaviour and obedience. As well as the things mentionned in posts above.

hedgiemama
January 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM
i dont have much advice to offer but as i was looking at dogwise for books to read i came across this one

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DKN109

it seems like it would have a lot of necessary info that you might need.

AnneCS
January 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
A little while back, I started looking into the requirements to keep/breed a toy breed in my home since it just seems unethical to me to be leaving them in a detached kennel when they're companion dogs. It's not always as easy as you may think. You have it easier though assuming that you want to have a detached kennel building to board dogs. I can tell you what I've learned looking at municipal requirements for dogs/kennels all over the GTA--to the north/northeast of Toronto and west all the way to K/W-Guelph area.

As others mentioned, the first step is to contact your municipality or city (or look up on their website) to find out what their animal control by-law says about kennels and the keeping of dogs. Usually if you google your city and "kennel licence by-law" or something like that, it will bring you to the appropriate part of their site or directly to their animal control by-law. Sometimes the municipality will have information specific to kennel requirements under the Business Licensing section of their site.

You should also find the zoning by-law (most cities/municipalities do have all of these things available online in PDF form) and search it for "kennel". What you're looking for in the zoning by-law is in which zones a boarding kennel is a permitted use and then for any further requirements they may have for kennels. In my experience, the requirements are very different from municipality to municipality, but most do require Agricultural zoning and will outline the required setbacks and other info between the zoning by-law and animal control by-laws (and/or kennel business by-law). Some municipalities essentially outlaw putting a kennel on any land (with any zoning), so you then have to apply for (I believe) a minor variance first.

There are of course building code requirements should you be building or modifying an existing building to be the kennel building. There are often parking requirements that need to be met as well. You are always subject to noise by-laws. Sometimes additional septic requirements need to be met for the disposal of dog waste. Usually there are fencing requirements (sometimes noise barriers as well--therefore wood fencing).

If you can meet all of the requirements, usually you need to have someone from your city or municipality inspect the premises and then you pay a fee (usually from $100 to $500) annually. (Usually before your application is accepted though, you will need to submit a site plan showing property lines, all buildings and distance to neighbouring inhabitable buildings for livestock or people. And usually council will discuss your application at a meeting and decide one way or another--often after contacting owners of neighbouring properties to see if they have any objections or concerns and inviting them to the meeting to discuss.) Typically an inspection is required once a year in order to renew the licence, but some municipalities will also have random inspections. You're usually required to keep very good documentation on the dogs in your care at your kennel--the municipality should outline what is expected in this regard.

As for registering it as a business, I don't know much about that since in my case I would be showing my dogs and doing very limited breeding and there would be little or no profit (basically, a hobby rather than a business). It might be good to talk to your accountant (or CRA) on the requirements in your case and what type of record-keeping to expect for tax purposes.

It has been a somewhat frustrating experience for me... still looking for the right property in two somewhat friendlier townships just so I can legally keep 4-6 lapdogs/showdogs/+a rescue from time to time in my home, where they belong imo. It still just boggles my mind that most municipalities would rather they be kept in a separate building with less stimulation and socialization and more reason to bark...

I hope that helps give you an idea of what to expect (though it may be a bit different in your area). If you still have any questions you think I may be able to help you with, send me a PM or ask here.

Choochi
January 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
It still just boggles my mind that most municipalities would rather they be kept in a separate building with less stimulation and socialization and more reason to bark..

Are you saying that based on what you have found, in a country side it would be illegal to house 4 house pets, but if you were to house them on property but in a separate building that would be legal? That doesn't sound right. I have heard that you require a kennel license in order to legally own and house more then 4 dogs on your property but have never heard of any specific provisions requiring the dogs to be in a separate building from the primary residence.

AnneCS
January 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Are you saying that based on what you have found, in a country side it would be illegal to house 4 house pets, but if you were to house them on property but in a separate building that would be legal? That doesn't sound right. I have heard that you require a kennel license in order to legally own and house more then 4 dogs on your property but have never heard of any specific provisions requiring the dogs to be in a separate building from the primary residence.

Yes, in most municipalities in the area I checked (near Toronto, to the north and west generally). It's really quite sad and it seems like nobody is doing anything about it. Here's a brief article about the problem breeders face with this (which obviously also applies to rescue and small-scale boarding): http://www.dogsincanada.com/what-is-a-kennel

If I recall correctly, here are just some of the ones that come to mind that say yes to a detached kennel but clearly say no to 4+ dogs in your home, under any circumstances:
Essa
Bradford-West Gwillimbury
Uxbridge
Oakville
Milton
Puslinch
Erin

But there were soooo many others that I just don't recall right now or would have to double-check...

For an example, here's what Erin's by-law (#08-08) says, cut and pasted:
5.2 Every person who keeps or operates a kennel shall comply with the following requirements:
(a) The kennel building shall be a separate building and shall not be attached to any building used or capable of being used for human habitation.

And here's what Puslinch's by-law (#33/05) says in Part V - Kennels:
1. No person and/or persons shall locate a kennel
a) within three hundred feet (300') of any residence or habitation, except that of their own
b) that is not in distinct separation from their own residence or habitation
c) on an area less than three (3) acres.

Some that were friendlier and sometimes have more affordable land come available from time-to-time that meets the town's kennel requirements were Woolwich, Brant, and Whitchurch-Stouffville. They seem to allow it in your home, providing that you install the usual drain, impermeable flooring/walls, etc. and meet some minimum setback requirements and somewhat reasonable acreage.