Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog seems to have lost his mind

worriedowner
January 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
My dog is a maltese/yorkie cross, just turned 4 years old on Jan 1st, 2011.

His first rabies shot caused him an allergic reaction in which his face swelled, he went hyperactive, etc. He has not had rabies shots since, but can tolerate the others.

In April, 2010, he was diagnosed with Oxalate stones. A botched blow-back surgery ruptured his bladder, he was taken to surgery and repaired. Before this he had many infections, diarrhea, etc. but it all cleared up when he had the stones removed.

We put him on Urinary SO wet but he put on 4 pounds in 4 months so we switched him to the dry. He's also been taking potassium citrate 3 times a day since April, keeping his urine at a pH of 6.5-7.

Since then he has eaten some things he shouldn't (chocolate, grapes, etc.) with no adverse effects. The last time was in November, and each time the vet said he was OK.

The only recent change was a switch from putting the citrate into his food to instead putting it onto a small piece of cantaloupe. That switch was made on January 11th, the same day he started going crazy.

What do I mean? Whenever my husband comes near him he begins screaming, whining, and jumping on him. He tries to lick his hands and face savagely. He jumps back and forth over his legs if my husband is sitting and rubs against his hands. He shakes after my husband leaves the room. About 30 minutes after my husband is gone he's somewhat calm, but he'll sniff wherever he thinks he's gone to and just lay and watch for him. He is FINE with everyone else and has only exhibited similar behaviour when someone he doesn't know comes over. At night when we go to bed he starts sniffing and licking my husband's ear but once my husband says NO he lies down and goes to sleep and is OK for the night. Even in the morning when I get up he doesn't harass my husband, but as soon as my husband is up and moving he starts the weird behaviour again.

Could this be an allergic reaction to the cantaloupe?? It seems far-fetched, but I can't understand why he'd suddenly be going so crazy. Now that I've noted the connection I'm going to stop using the cantaloupe to give him his medicine and instead just put it into his mouth directly (he hates that, but...) and see if he goes back to normal.

Thanks for any advice! I don't know if I'll even get a reply, this is so weird :)

Edited to add: I forgot, he's also developed a fishy smell to his breath since starting the cantaloupe.

Shaykeija
January 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Well first stop giving him the cantaloupe and second take him to the vet.

luckypenny
January 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
With any sudden change in behavior, it's always best to be checked by a vet.

Is your dog only like this with your husband? Does your husband treat him the same way everyone else does? This may sound a little weird but, has your husband been for a doctor's check-up lately? I ask because one of our dogs is super sensitive when a human member isn't feeling good.

worriedowner
January 16th, 2011, 08:23 AM
With any sudden change in behavior, it's always best to be checked by a vet.

The problem is the vet was closed for the weekend, plus we're in there so often for, like, every bump and bruise... for once I'm trying to see this one out to a conclusion on my own as he has absolutely NO other symptoms. If it's still going on Monday, when they reopen, I'll be there with bells on :)

Is your dog only like this with your husband? Does your husband treat him the same way everyone else does? This may sound a little weird but, has your husband been for a doctor's check-up lately? I ask because one of our dogs is super sensitive when a human member isn't feeling good.

Yes, ONLY my husband! He never treated him any differently than before, nor spent more time or less time, etc. The only difference was he had a bunch of work done at the dentist, but by now the smells of that would have worn off, and the dog is as interested in his hands (which have nothing to do with dental work) as with his face. I was worried about my husband too - my first thought was he has cancer heh - but he isn't sniffing any localized place, and it was just SO sudden an onset.

This morning he didn't act up with my husband, although he was only here for a short time before going out, so hopefully it was the cantaloupe after all! I'll post one more time after my husband gets home and let you all know either way.

Thanks for your help :)

luckypenny
January 16th, 2011, 12:20 PM
the dog is as interested in his hands (which have nothing to do with dental work) as with his face.

Hmmm, could your husband have been petting a neighbor or friends dog or other pet? Our dog Lucky starts hopping up and down and foaming at the mouth :rolleyes: when he smells that we've touched a strange dog.

worriedowner
January 16th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hmmm, could your husband have been petting a neighbor or friends dog or other pet? Our dog Lucky starts hopping up and down and foaming at the mouth :rolleyes: when he smells that we've touched a strange dog.

Not that day, no... nor has he reacted like that in the past when we touch other dogs. Plus that was Tuesday, and this has lasted since then :) But thanks for the idea!