Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clear Urine

mindy10
January 15th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Has anyone experienced clear urine in there dog. My dog is 15 and I noticed he has had a few accidents in the house and when I clean them they are clear. The last couple of days I noticed when he went in the snow it was light yellow but today is seems clear again. Not showing any other signs of sickness. Still eating and has some energy. As much energy a 15 yearl old can have LOL. Anyone experience this. Someone mentioned UTI. Im trying to get a sample but its not easy with a very nervous dog. He keeps running away from me.

erykah1310
January 15th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Has he been drinking excessively?

mindy10
January 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hi he definately drinks a little more than he use to but I dont think its alot more. Its hard to tell because Im at work all day. Im going to start to try to see how much his water bowl goes down thats the only way to tell. My husband thinks im crazy!!

erykah1310
January 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I would definately keep an eye on that and even perhaps call your vet and see what they have to say.
Like with us, if we drank more water in a day we would also have clear urine however with his age I would be concerned with liver or kidney function.
Doesnt hurt to make a call and see what they have to say.
Hopefully its nothing major, just a more thirsty boy. :fingerscr:

Love4himies
January 15th, 2011, 09:04 AM
You dog should be seeing a vet for a full blood panel and urinalysis to rule out medical issues. It sounds like the kidneys are not concentrating the urine properly.

Winston
January 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Mindy a vet visit is definately a must. My 15 yr old kitty had a problem with this last year where his urine was too diluted. It was a problem with kidney function as L4H has mentioned. He went down hill quickly so I wouldnt put it off! Keep us posted.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Another possibility would be diabetes. If he's not cooperating for the potty collection, the vet should be able to extract some from his bladder in the office. At 15 he should probably have some blood work done, as well, to check all his organ functions. And best to have it done sooner than later--the earlier treatment starts, in many cases, the better the outcome.

Hope your old boy is okay :goodvibes: and cooperates soon, mindy! :D

ScottieDog
January 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Please see your vet. I lost a dog to kidney failure. Her problem was related to a chemo drug going toxic in her system. It happened very fast.

Your vet can withdraw sterile urine direct from the bladder, so don't feel that you not being able to get the sample is a drawback.

Measure the amount of water he is drinking (cups or ounces). Drinking too much can make the urine too dilute. Given your dog's age, kidney disease is a huge concern, but you can also have diabetes, Cushing's Disease and urinary tract infections. When you have a geriatric dog, any changes in eating, drinking or elimination warrant a call to the vet. Good luck.