Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about cats in labour

Mittens&Lara
September 19th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Hi all:

Recently, my mother took a stray cat and her 2 kittens into her home. About 5 weeks ago we realized momma cat was pregnant again. After consulting a vet this past week, we realized labour was imminent. We separated mom from her older kittens, so she wouldn't become aggressive toward them. Over the past 2 days, she's found a spot where she likes to rest - we assume this will become her little den for the new kittens.

Today, she started to bleed, lightly. Can someone tell me if this is normal? And how long it might last before labour starts. My mother sat with her for a few hours tonight. The cat is perky, eating, using the litter, alert and seems to be in no discomfort. My mom says she feel the kittens moving - could be because she's full term and there's not much room in there. She believes they are turning because every once in a while when she touches the cat's belly, she feels a harder spot, then it will go soft again later. The cat is moving around still, occassionally visiting with her other kittens to make sure they are fine, though the other day she was taking a few swipes at them and growling.

What should we be expecting to happen in the next 24 hours? She has a clean litter, fresh food and water all the time and a quiet area for herself that is comfortable. What else should we be doing? It's our first litter :) .

Thank you!