Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Car door closed in my dogs tail

richie
January 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Well my girlfriend accidently closed the car door on our labs tail. he is 6 months. the door did not close completely but enough for him to sqeel loud.:(
His tail has a little blood on it and it looks to be cut. Is their something I should clean it with or just leave it and let it heal on it's own. Just took another look and his tail seems to be cut open. thanks

diandpat
January 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
OUCH!!! I would have squealed loudly too! His tail could be broken. If it is cut open it might need stitches. You should really bring him to the vet to be sure of the extent of the damage.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

richie
January 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
OUCH!!! I would have squealed loudly too! His tail could be broken. If it is cut open it might need stitches. You should really bring him to the vet to be sure of the extent of the damage.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

:( . I just cleaned the blood off with tissue paper I'm going to look it it tommrow morning and see if anything changes. Should i keep him inside so his tail doesn't get infected?

Rgeurts
January 12th, 2011, 09:29 PM
You should take him to the vet so his tail doesn't get infected...

BenMax
January 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Having dealt with this before...please take him to the vet. This is not only terribly painful but there is a need for concern for infections. The tail is extremely sensitive and in the long run you will be saving more money in regards to vet bills that could come up if not looked after properly.

Good luck.

Marty11
January 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
If you leave an injury you could end up spending way more money. Go to the vet....

richie
January 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Having dealt with this before...please take him to the vet. This is not only terribly painful but there is a need for concern for infections. The tail is extremely sensitive and in the long run you will be saving more money in regards to vet bills that could come up if not looked after properly.

Good luck.

His tail looks fine now can't see the wound but I will take him to the vet this weekend and see what they say.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
His tail looks fine now can't see the wound but I will take him to the vet this weekend and see what they say.

Good idea. Let us know the status.

mirtilo
January 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM
My neighbor had a similar situation with his dog and it did get infected and cause issues for them. Please let us know what the vet says about your poor pup!

rainbow
January 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM

Did you take your dog to the vet today? How is he doing? :fingerscr