Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange death

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
NOT one of my guys for you title hoverers.

I was talking to a friend who was telling me about another friend who's dog passed away the other day.

I dont know a whole lot about what happened and to be quite honest I dont want to know.
Just curious what a deceased dog bleeding from mouth and rear would point to??
Seems kinda odd to me

sugarcatmom
January 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Just curious what a deceased dog bleeding from mouth and rear would point to??
Seems kinda odd to me

Rat poison popped into my head, since it's an anti-coagulant that can cause internal bleeding if enough is ingested. There'd be other symptoms though, I would think.

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM
This dog lived in a pen with another dog, the other one is fine. I had thought poisioning too at first but being that they are in the country its not likely but is still possible I suppose.

It has been bothering me all day, poor dog :(

MaxaLisa
January 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Some tick diseases (ehrlichia , anaplasmosa, babesia, etc) can cause low platelets and nose bleeds, so maybe a sever case of this. Maybe some cancers? A bleeding disorder by recent vaccination might do it also.

I am sorry for your friend's dog :(

luckypenny
January 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Poison was my first guess as well. Erykah, do you have any other details? When you say bleeding, was it instant bleeding from both the mouth and rectum and instant death or was the dog ill with bloody diarrhea and bloody vomiting?

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Its sounds like the dog was fine the evening before, playing around the yard with the other one and the kids then in the morning was gone.
I had thought poisioning first then thought maybe he had gone in with the horses beside them and got kicked causing internal injuries, I'm not sure how vigilant of an eye was kept on the dog. Having a dog that has been kicked by my horses, they are in pain no matter how mild of a kick. Being kicked myself I'm positive that the dog would have been displaying some form of pain.
It just seems so fishy

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
As for ticks, we dont really have any around here, I dont think I have ever seen a tick.
I'm not sure of what their tolerance of cold is or weather or not they are active in cold weather but it has been -25 in the mornings here.

luckypenny
January 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM
If it was instant, then internal injury and/or a rupture of something (perhaps intestinal/stomach) would make sense. If the bleeding was over time and in diarrhea and vomiting, giardia or other out of control intestinal parasites could also be a possibility. When we adopted Lucky, he had giardia, hookworm, roundworm and bled from both ends. But he was also severely underweight and started going blind from malnutrition...something the owners of your friend's dog surely would have recognized (I would hope). Then there's Parvo but there would also be signs over a couple of days.

Poor pup :candle:.

rainbow
January 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
A ruptured spleen would be quite sudden but I would think the dog would have shown signs of illness beforehand. I guess it depends on how well they notice anything though. :shrug:

:rip: Poor Dog :candle:

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
What ever it was, I hope for the poor boy it was quick.
Its been bothering me all day playing on my mind. I know the people who owned this dog and we dont really speak other than in passing.