Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Urinating

mcduck
September 19th, 2004, 10:17 PM
i HAVE A ONE YEAR OLD PERSIAN AND i RECENTLY RESCUED A 6 YEAR OLD HYMALIAN FORM THE ANIMAL RESCUE LEAGUE.....oNE OF THESE CATS ARE NOW URINATING IN MY BED ...cAN YOU PLEASE OFFER ANY SUGGESTIONS....i HAVE 2 LITTER BOXES............. i REALLY LOVE BOTH ANIMALS BUT THAT BEHAVIOR I DO NOT LIKE AT ALL.........PLEASE HELP

chico2
September 19th, 2004, 10:44 PM
It could be stress in the first cat,because you got another cat and it should ease once they get used to each other.
Or one of them could have a medical problem,it's hard to figure out why cats do what they do,but stress can alter the way they do things,especially peeing...
I would ask the vet and make sure neither cat has a urinary problem,if not I would add another litter-box,maybe in a different location.

Donna Marie
September 19th, 2004, 11:23 PM
We seem to have so many questions about problems with cats urinating outside of the litter box, I think it should be a sticky!

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Right Donna Marie, and this problem is one of the top reasons cats are dumped. As soon as I can compile some really good advice and information, I will make a sticky of it. Good idea!

To the original poster: How did you introduce these cats - what method? Are they male or female? How long have you had the new cat, and how do they get along together?

The first thing you must do is get them vet checked for any urinary tract problems - stones, infections, etc.

We need more information in order to help you.

mcduck
September 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Thank You for answering my post,
Both cats are female.........I introduced them very slowly.......I brought my persian(Kaleigh) camping for the summer....So I brought the new Kitty at the house...Allowing her to smell the other animals scent........ In turn I brought objects to the trailer of the Hymalian......Hoping that this will help the transition of meeting each other.......Both cats do not bother with the other except to share their displeasure by hissing.... * I certainly hope they will adjust without any more urinating problems.......(I do not know why Katie the hymalian was brought to the animal rescue league....) When hearing of her plight at the animal rescue league it broke my heart............She was terrified and they kept her in a seperate area.........How can humans be so cruel?
She seems to have adjusted very well ...........in many ways she is no longer scared of my taco bell dog (chiwawa)

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2004, 07:23 PM
This cat is hissing at your cat and was frightened of your dog, plus she has lost all that was familiar to her. This could be enough stress to cause the urination.

I still say she should be checked for a bladder infection. This is common in female cats and easily fixed. This could be the reason she was dumped, and I know of many cases where someone will dump a cat rather than pay for antibiotics for it.

It can take weeks or longer to introduce a new adult cat into the home, and I feel you went too fast. If she has no infection, I would start over with her. Put her in a room of her own with her litterbox, bed, toys etc and let her just relax alone for awhile. When she is consistantly using her litterbox, you can start to slowly reintroduce her to the rest of the home.

pxxiegirl
September 20th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I've had Ashley (stray female adult and pregnant) for about a week and a half. She must be using the Sera's litterbox sometimes but I have found 2 incidences of poop and last night she flat out peed on crumpled sheet that was at the foot of my bed while I was right there! I don't understand that because she usually sleeps on the bed. I bought a second litterbox and put it upstairs which is where the "accidents" have occured. Call me stupid, but I didn't do anything special to introduce the cats when I first brout Ashley home. Sera had taken so well to all other animals that have come and gone in the home. Sera and Ashley are not hissing or bothered by each other. Other than the potty probs, Ashley acts just like she's been a house cat her whole life.

Should I start over too and leave her in the bathroom where her new litterbox is?