Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing inside on things

lindanfld
January 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I have a 15 month old shipoo. When I got her I started training her to use the pee pads and she did well with it,a scattered accident. But now she seems to peee anywhere he wants,I still have the pads down,she do use that also and sometimes she will go outside to use. But sometimes after going outside she will come in and pee. If someone comes to my home,he will go and stiff the boots or sneakers and I get so tensed because I am afraid he is going to pee on there shoes or purse. My husband wants to redo our floor,but I don't want to do that yet until he goes to pee outside. I am at my wits end please help!!!!

mhikl
January 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Namaste lindanfld,

I have never used a pee mat and have no experience with wee dogs. I've always been vigilant with the doggy mess business as I want a future with only one of us having mistakes.

However, I have known many little dogs who have and have had this problem and don't know if the prob is due to shorter urinary tracts or because these guys are so cute and that their messes wouldn't challenge the parting of the seas that they can get away with this behaviour.

My dog is about to turn 10 and I am finally attending to her barking exhibits when the door bell rings. (When no one's around to protect this scaredy dog, she doesn't let out a peep.) When frustrated and annoyed by her sound, I had pondered the old lead behind the ear idea, but then chose instead to have some small dollar store water spray bottles around to be quick to hand when she begins her arias.

I don't want to extinguish her character, just bring it down a little. I'm seeing an improvement in the refinement of her tone.

Don't know if this would work for your little girl. If it caught her off guard enough that you could get to her in time to carry to the mat, maybe she might get the hint.

If not, at least your aim would get pretty good. Mine has.

Cheers,
mhikl

millitntanimist
January 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hi there :)
My suggestion would be to take your pup back to basics with the potty training. Young dogs usually have about a 2 hour max for their bladders and most research says that they don't even have full control of those until they hit 6 months unless they have a UTI (if your pup is peeing outside and then peeing right away inside this could be the problem).
Start taking the dog out every 2 hours (or, if you are planning to continue with pee-pads, put those in a specific spot and lead your dog there) and especially after meals. When you are inside never let the dog out of your sight. If you catch them eliminating, do not punish them (they may begin to associate eliminating with punishment and either try to hide it from you or display other fear behaviors - such as submissive urination) but give an "oops" or a clap to interrupt the peeing and calmly take them to the spot you want to eliminate in. If they finish praise and reward heavily.
Gradually the dog will associate peeing in the correct place with good things and will want to offer this behavior to you. It is usually best to start with food rewards, as these already have strong positive associations but you can also create real life rewards for elimination. Take your dog out to eliminate then immediately start a game or walk, whatever your dog enjoys.
Finally, be patient, babies take time to figure things out :)

BenMax
January 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi there :)
My suggestion would be to take your pup back to basics with the potty training. Young dogs usually have about a 2 hour max for their bladders and most research says that they don't even have full control of those until they hit 6 months unless they have a UTI (if your pup is peeing outside and then peeing right away inside this could be the problem).
Start taking the dog out every 2 hours (or, if you are planning to continue with pee-pads, put those in a specific spot and lead your dog there) and especially after meals. When you are inside never let the dog out of your sight. If you catch them eliminating, do not punish them (they may begin to associate eliminating with punishment and either try to hide it from you or display other fear behaviors - such as submissive urination) but give an "oops" or a clap to interrupt the peeing and calmly take them to the spot you want to eliminate in. If they finish praise and reward heavily.
Gradually the dog will associate peeing in the correct place with good things and will want to offer this behavior to you. It is usually best to start with food rewards, as these already have strong positive associations but you can also create real life rewards for elimination. Take your dog out to eliminate then immediately start a game or walk, whatever your dog enjoys.
Finally, be patient, babies take time to figure things out :)

Excellent advice and well said!:thumbs up

lindanfld
January 13th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all your help. I will start back to the basic traing . Wish me luck lol

millitntanimist
January 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Good Luck!! :thumbs up

BenMax
January 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will start back to the basic traing . Wish me luck lol

Good luck. Everything will work out if you are consistant and praise the dog when you get results. Accidents happen which is normal. It's a question of maturity (on the dog's part) and gentle guidance.:thumbs up

hedgiemama
January 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM
good luck, persistence always pays off !