Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Performance Axiety? Stage Freight?

Shelby
September 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Wilson and I had our Intermediate Obedience exam on Sunday, and I was extremely confident that he would pass, maybe even bring home a ribbon. But, he decided to choose Sunday (of all days) to start ignoring me!! Every time I have taken him to class, he has worked beautifully, even when we practice at home he is fantastic, but on Sunday, I couldn't get his attention, I would call him, and ask him to watch me, but hejust turned his back on me. Even when I waved the food infront of his nose, he still wouldn't give me his attention. He was so bad, that I had to quit. The judge was very understanding though, and said that we could re-sit the exam in 2 weeks.
On our walk this morning, I thought I would get some training in. So I tied Izzy up so i could train Wilson, and guess what... he was as good as gold!! Little bugger! Even when Izzy was barking at him to come and play, he still kept his focus on me!! If only he did this yesterday!!

Has anyone else ever had this problem??

Sneaky2006
September 19th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I've never had this problem cause cats would surely fail obedience class! :D
This reminded me of when you take a young child in public... they do the exact opposite of what you want! And what urks me the most is they know it!
I'm thinking he just may have had a bad day? I'm sure he'll pass next time. Good luck!!! :D

melanie
September 19th, 2004, 09:10 PM
never had this problem :D but i was watching some dog trialing the other week and one little cattle dog just refused to listen or even look at his owner, at one stage he just walked of the course and sniffed a garbage bin, he was sooo cute, his trainer said it was quite unusual for him, but it was really funny to watch.

i agree, sounds like wilson is being a right little bugger indeed :D try emotional blackmail if all else fails :D :D

hey hows the weather down your end my ACT friend, not to bad up here (nearish bowral) heard a guy on triple J the other morn that said it was freezing down there. i was born at woden, lived in deakin about 10yrs ago, nice place to live although i dont think the rent would be as cheap now as it was back then :D.

Shelby
September 19th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I tried blackmail!! Well, kind of..... I didn't give him any breakfast cause he works better on an empty stomach, and I used sausages for his treats, sausages are supposed to be the secret weapon!!

The weather here has been beautiful lately. We've been having lovely sunny days for the past week, but being typical canberra, as soon as the sun goes down it's freezing!

You would be horrified at the price of rent and even to buy in Deakin now, it's getting up there with Sydney!!

melanie
September 19th, 2004, 09:58 PM
tell him you might cry if he doesnt do it right, he will probably ignore you though:D :D
has he done that sort of exam before, has he ever had to do that in front of anyone?? surely he has, i was thinking if he hasnt maybe it was stage fright, but from what you say he has done this before, oh cheeky, cheeky. like sneaky said just like a child, *i shake my head* :D .

yes i remember the cold there, burrrr, you are brave :D . bring on summer (but no fires, everyone is keeping fingers crossed)

i imagined the rent and prices there are high, sydney is ridiculous, i often worry sydney will swollow itself or explode from ego :D (i wish :D ). even on the outskirts a small paddock will cost you no less that $400,000 and thats with no power, or anything it is all getting out of control *shaking head again* :D .

Sneaky2006
September 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Hey Mel, what's a paddock? Is that piece of land or something?

melanie
September 19th, 2004, 10:36 PM
sorry sneaky, a paddock is like a block of land, but it is not the block of land that is all tidy with drainage etc waiting for a house. quite often just a piece of land with trees or grass or dirt, no power connections or plumbing just a bare paddock.

my dictionary has a formal description of- in australia or new zealand a paddock is any field or tillable piece of land or grass covered land often used as sheep or cattle pasture.

out here in the country where i live that is a perfect description of a paddock, and often a farmer or similar will sell some as they are, but in general paddocks out here are considered any land not in town that is undeveloped but often fenced with wire.. here in the country you either buy a block of land for a house, a paddock (general size considered 1 hectare) or hectares of land (large piece of land) my dream is to buy a few paddocks and build a house on them and grow lots of veges and have lots of happy chooks (chickens) for my darlin dog to play with and cuddle (she loooves her chooks, silly girl).

1 of my fav sayings about a dumb person-

they are considered to be missing a few roos in the top paddock, lol, lol
(roo being kangaroo)

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM
So the land you're speaking of is $400,000 for something small?
That is nuts!! I could never make it in Sydney, or the like. :)

my dream is to buy a few paddocks and build a house on them and grow lots of veges and have lots of happy chooks (chickens) for my darlin dog to play with and cuddle (she loooves her chooks, silly girl). I too have big dreams...not gonna happen in the near future, that's for sure!
Unless we win the lotto!! :D :D

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 03:02 AM
the land prices around sydney and other major centers such as canberra are just out of control at the moment and you are getting less for you $$. yes $400000 and that can be a quater acre block with no power, plumbing and definatly no house on it, which is just horrific. i live an hour and half south of sydney and the prices i quoted above are for near my town, and we are not even part of sydney. i think a big problem is sydneys attitude about itself, it thinks it is something real special, and i truly believe it will swollow itself one day, i often sarcastically call sydney the heartbeat of australia :D :D

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 03:11 AM
That sucks that their land is so expensive just because 'they can'.
Wow, a quarter acre...here for that amount you could probably get 50 friggen acres!!
That is sick!

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 05:26 PM
hey shelby, can you please let us know how he goes next weekend :D , is this the first level of dog school or the secound, intermediate is the 2nd isnt it??

Shelby
September 20th, 2004, 07:46 PM
They have just changed the curriculum, it used to be Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced, then on to Companion, but now they have Kindy, Beginners A, Beginners B, then Intermediate, etc..
I did a little bit of practice with him again this morning, and once again, he was fantastic. I plan on taking him down to the dog club on Thursday night so that I can practice with him with all the other dogs around. We re-sit the exam on the 10th, so I'll be sure to let you know how he goes.

PS. my dream house is on 40 acres in a town called Burra, which is about 20 minutes from Canberra and they will only take offers over $715,000 AUD. Gues that's why I call it my "dream" house!

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
boy that system has changed, we only had beginer, intermedate and advanced, that was it.i wonder how my 8yo would do these days :D its been a long time between drinks you know (nah :D she is well trained and we did all dog school a long time ago, still have the framed certs :D )

houses-well it never hurts to dream, and its cheap :D maybe you could find a dream in Yass or murrumbateman :D .

you may have heard of michale mobbs, the sustainable house man in sydney, he has sustainalble house packages (pre fab house) with environmentally sound fittings and white goods, ranging from $75,000 to around $120,000. we are saving for a nice paddock (up north, cheaper) so we can get one of those houses, it is the only way we can figure getting a house. it is grose.

they say that the house prices are so high in some aussie mjr centers that it is actually cheaper to rent your whole life, apparently in euroupe it is common as many of the houses are owned by old families and there is little for sale. some say this is becoming the way in sydney, and i can understand why, but renting your whole life cheaper than buying in sydney, its terrible.

they are saying my generation (25-35 yo australians) will take longer than any previous generations to buy a house, they are predicting 35-40yrs old for our first house purchase, boy it gets tougher. and i hate it when an older person tells you they brought their mansion for 1000 pound in the 50's or 60's ah it kills me. :D

but recently a friend in lismore brought a house and land in the flood plain for $48,000. for that price i would live in a bog. and it only floods every few years so she has invested the money she saved and she has brought trolleys and keeps the washing machine and whatnot down stairs on them, flood comes she takes it up stairs, so it is out there, just not where we live now. i am definatly moving back up nth one day, bugger this rubbish down here. :D :D

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Yes Shelly, you definitely have to let us know how he does.
I was thinkin... maybe he knew you were nervous or something and couldn't focus on the test?
$715,000 is surely a dream for me too!! The house must be awesome, and it is 40 acres which is a ton of space. I always say, all in good time.

I know what you mean about the older ppl buying houses back in the day Mel. My moms house was $10,000 and my mother-in-laws was $9,000...their mortgage payments were around $100 per month... you would never see that these days!

bugger this rubbish down here Sorry, I had to throw this in there... I love the way you talk (type?) It's like I can hear your accent!! Love it! :D :D

Shelby
September 20th, 2004, 10:12 PM
I thought it may have been him picking up on my nerves, but I was trying to practice with him before we went in the ring and he was ignoring me then, which then of course made me even more nervous once we were out there cause I just knew he wasn't going to respond.
I think he may be going through a phase, he's one next month, does that make him a teenager?

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Sounds like it!
If that's the case... he's gonna be ignoring you for a long time now! :)

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 10:49 PM
try not to be nervous next time, just tell yourself wht ever he does he can try again, it may help calm you both down, but a practice in front of others is a great idea. :D

now sorry shelby of the track again, not for long :D
sneaky some of us call that talk 'occa', very occa is very aussie( iam very proudly occa, aussie to the core). but not all of us talk like that (shelby is city slicker remember, not being occa is not a reflection on someones aussieness, it varies everywhere) i have noticed it is the country bums that seem to speak like that, man you should hear us in life, just shockin, and i never finish words or pronounce them properly, eg i pronounce austalia as aus-tra-ya, not aus-tra-lia :D . you should hear the accent they have in perth, my god it is like they are from another planet :D
the brilliant aussie poet C J Dennis was very good at putting occa expression into his poems
-from the sentimental bloke, the mooch of life (one absolute fav of mine)

'lifes wot yeh make it; an' the bloke 'oo tries
to grab the shinin stars frum out the skies
goes crook on life, an' calls the world a cheat,
an' tramples at the daisies at 'is feet.

the last stanza (below) is the best and i love it, he was a brilliant man and very aussie with an amazing gift for expression and interpretation-

sittin' at ev'enin in this sunset land
wiv' 'er in all the world to 'old me' and
a son, to bear me name when i am gone,
LIVIN' AN LOVIN'-- SO LIFE MOOCHES ON :D

the last line says it all for me. god it makes me want to recite dorethea mackella, gosh lets not :D

Shelby
September 20th, 2004, 11:04 PM
oh Sneaky, don't tell me that!!! :eek:

Melanie, you forgot about the expression of putting an "ay" at the end of a question. eg "there's nothing like it ay?"
I am a city slicker now, but I grew up in a country town called Wagga Wagga, so I don't have any problems finding my inner occa (especially after a few drinks!!).

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Yes, sorry Shelby this is the last time, I swear! lol

I don't have any problems finding my inner occa (especially after a few drinks!!). That's funny!!

Dangit Mel, you are a hoot and I probably couldn't understand you if we spoke face to face but I would sit and listen all day! Very interesting! :p

melanie
September 20th, 2004, 11:30 PM
oh so shelby your a true southener ay?? im sure your inner occa is just bursting to get out and live, ha, ha, dam city slickin is supressin it ay? gosh i love havin another aussie here :D :D :D

sneaky when we say ay, it is a bit of a rhetorical question ay?

and just for you shelby, wilson and izzy let me say

aussie, aussie, aussie, oi,oi,oi (hey doggies bark that last part, woof, woof, woof) wouldnt that be a cool trick to teach them to respond to that call.

wAggie
September 20th, 2004, 11:34 PM
hehehehe, Shelly

Chocolate's done that to me as well... it's when you dont feed him at all that he gets pissy and moves into his own world..

(when i mean "dont feed," i'm refering to breakie or din-din!... u know what i mean!)

:)

... Choco :rolleyes: :p

Shelby
September 21st, 2004, 12:56 AM
Maybe its just a pointer thing? or he was so hungry that he couldn't concentrate.....

wAggie
September 21st, 2004, 01:00 AM
nah, i had all the treats in front of him..

this was a "fu, mom, i cant believe u treated me like this... like, like a DOG" :(

hahaha, he felt disrespected.... i'm towwy, choco :(

Shelby
September 21st, 2004, 01:43 AM
These pointers definitely have a personality don't they!! But how can you be angry at them when they are just so cute!

Shelby
September 21st, 2004, 07:00 PM
Melanie, Sneaky,

I was emailled this by a friend in London this morning, thought you'd both enjoy it...

At last, a yardstick by which you can measure an "Australian" For those
> of you who haven't met an Australian and are not sure what one is
> REALLY like! You're not Australian 'til...
>
> 1) You've mimicked Alf Stewart from the TV show Home and Away's broad,
> Australian accent, eg. "push off, ya flamin' drongo!"
>
> 2) You've had an argument with your mate over whether Ford or Holden
> makes the better car!
>
> 3) You've done the "hot sand" dance at the beach while running from
> the ocean back to your towel.
>
> 4) You know who Ray Martin is.
>
> 5) You start using words like "reckon" and "root" and call people
> "mate".
>
> 6) You stop greeting people with "hello" and go straight to the "how
> ya doin'?"
>
> 7) You've seriously considered running down the shop in a pair of Ugg
> Boots
>
> 8) You own a pair of ugg boots.
>
> 9) You've been to a day-nighter cricket match and screamed out
> incomprehensibly until your throat went raw.
>
> 10) You kind of know the first verse to the national anthem, but don't
> know what "girt" means.
>
> 11) You have a story that somehow revolves around excess consumption
> of alcohol and a mate named "Dave".
>
> 12) You've risked attending an outdoor music festival on the hottest
> day of the year.
>
> 13) You've tried to hang off a clothesline while pretending you can
> fly.
>
> 14) You've had a visit to the emergency room after hanging off the
> clothesline pretending you can fly.
>
> 15) You own a pair of thongs for everyday use, and another pair of
> "dress thongs" for special occasions.
>
> 16) You don't know what's in a meat pie, and you don't care.
>
> 17) You pronounce Australia as "Stralya"
>
> 18) You call soccer soccer, not football
>
> 19) You've squeezed Vegemite through vita wheat to make little
> Vegemite worms.
>
> 20) You suck your coffee through a Tim Tam.
>
> 21) You realise that lifeguards are the only people who can get away
> with wearing Speedos.
>
> 22) You pledge allegiance to Vegemite over Promite. (DEFINITELY)
>
> 23) You understand the value of public holidays.
>
> 24) Your weekends are spent barracking for your favourite sports team.
>
>
> 25) You have a toilet dolly.
>
> 26) Your Mum or Nan made it.
>
> 27) You've played beach cricket with a tennis ball and a bat fashioned
> out of a fence post.
>
> 28) You firmly believe that in the end, everything will be ok, and
> have told a mate in tough times that "She'll be right, mate"
>
> 29) You use the phrase, "no worries" at least once a day.
>
> 30) You've been on a beach holiday and have probably stayed in a
> caravan.
>
> 31) You constantly shorten words to "brekkie", "arvo" and "barbie"
>
> 32) You've adopted a local bar as your own.
>
> 33) You know the oath of mateship can never be limited by geographical
> distance.
>
> 34) You measure a journey in beer, not kilometres or time. (That's a 3
> beer trip mate) .

melanie
September 21st, 2004, 07:15 PM
i am laughing so hard tears down my face, that is very very true. all of it.

and i must say holden is the only real car, ford is crap. i am a strict holden girl and follow them religously in the V8 supercars series :D craig lowndes is nothing but a traitor, stay with ford mate, you wont be gettin in a holden ever again :p (brock will be at bathurst this year doing his retirement race in a holden, should be good, cant wait)

and who told you about my toilet dolly or my outings in me uggies:D ?? ah i can say all of the above apply here, and alf stuart comments have in past flow around regularly 'the flamin mongrels'. although instead of 'she'll be right mate', i always say ' no worries mate, shell be right on the night' :D

i loved flying on the line as a kid, but we bent it real bad and dad freaked, no more flyin.

and i did attend the big day out on a very hot summer day in 1992 and actually passed out, but got over it in time to see nirvana, lucky that..

when i was a kid i was so ashamed of being aussie, i thought america and euroup had such long histories and class, but one day i found out we had it all, well that has changed and i am now the epitomy of the proud aussie.

as my mum likes to say- im all arse and no class :D
as my gran always said, up ya bum :D
and for my dad- i hope you chooks turn into emu and kick your dunny door down :D

Shelby
September 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM
Oh my gosh Melanie, you crack me up!!!

Shelby
September 22nd, 2004, 12:13 AM
ok, I've just had a brainwave.... I think I need to make Wilson's training more about having "fun" rather than getting that treat. What's made me come to this conclusion, is Izzy just loves school and training (and pretty much anything that means she will be getting attention), you can see that she really enjoys it, her eyes light up and she wags her tail the whole time. But Wilson, you can see that he's only doing what he's told because he wants that treat!
So, I just went out and bought 2 little furry toy mice that I can attach to string and dangle infront of his face (he loves little flying birds, so I thought these might have the same effect??), and 2 squeaky balls (he loves the noise). I'll let you know the outcome in a couple of days.. Wish me luck!

Sneaky2006
September 22nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
Don't understand a lot of it Shelby, but had a fun read all in the same! :D

Good idea you have for Wilson... I really hope it works.... I always thought it was 'girls just wanna have fun'? :D

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
omggggg, SHelbY I totally understand!!

that sounds exactly like my two!

Honey being Izzy
and

CHoco being Wilson! :p

now..... refresh my memory now who's the pointer and who's the wein... :D

Shelby
September 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Wilson is the pointer and Izzy is the Weim.
Maybe Sneaky is right.... girls just wanna have fun!

wAggie
September 22nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
maybe age and Height has something to do with it as well

;)

or it's a male pointer thing :p

Shelby
September 23rd, 2004, 02:08 AM
Is honey older or younger than Chocolate? Izzy is older than Wilson (only by 4 months), actually, she's 15 months old today!
I'm going to put it down to a boy pointer thing, like you said..

wAggie
September 23rd, 2004, 09:41 AM
HOney's younger than Choco probably by about a yr.

(see my signature :p )

ok, ok, so it's not age... i guess (4 months is a small difference fo sho!)

I'm gonna say it's a MALE thing to be so calm, as we know females tend to be the real b!tches.... (i'm STRICTLY refering to DOGS here, ladies :D )

and it's probably characteristic of German Pointers :) :)

Shelby
October 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you all know that Wilson and I re-sat the Intermediate exam last night..........and we PASSED!!! Yay! I knew he could do it! He did get distracted during the heeling work, but he did everything else perfectly!! So hurray, we have been promoted to advanced!

wAggie
October 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM
OMG!!!! woooooooHOOOOOOOO!!!! CONGRATS, shelby and wilson!!! :D

Sneaky2006
October 7th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Awesome!!!! I was wondering about you two. I am so glad he listened... darn teenagers! :D :D

Shelby
October 7th, 2004, 11:34 PM
I know! I'm still dissapointed with the fact that he wouldn't heel properly, because at home he will heel off lead at all different paces for ages! But, like you said, darn teenagers!!

melanie
October 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
thats fantastic, i am os glad for you, you must be very proud and so is wilson i bet. cheeky boy still being rude in healing, man he is just testing your patience, you gotta love the attitude of it :D :D