Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man flees Ontario to save dog

Cathy1
January 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
CALGARY -- Leonidus the pit bull has been man's best friend and service dog to Jared Mercieca, an Ontarian with a hearing impairment, for several months.

So when the dog was put on death row by bylaw officials in Oshawa, Ont., it was up to Mercieca to be dog's best friend and flee with Leo to Calgary, where the pit bull's life would be spared.

"He has always notified me who is on the property, who is at the door, who has pulled into the driveway -- he's my ears," said Mercieca, adding Leo will even find a vibrating cellphone that his master can't hear due to his disability.

Back in November, Mercieca took Leo for a walk in Oshawa and stopped at a local skate park to let the dog have a drink of water.

He removed Leo's muzzle -- which pit bull-type dogs in Ontario must wear -- momentarily, but as he was putting it back on he was approached by bylaw officers who began enquiring about the dog.

New legislation in 2005 made all pit bull breeds illegal in Ontario, meaning only those born prior to the change were allowed to remain pets and even then they must be muzzled and neutered, said Calgary's bylaw boss Bill Bruce.

Because Leo was not muzzled or neutered when they saw him, the bylaw officers showed up at Mercieca's home the next day with papers for him to sign.

Mercieca said they led him to believe the papers were have to have the dog neutered, when in fact they signed ownership of the dog away and approved a kill order.

BenMax
January 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Having experience with this, I can say without a worry that these 'officers' are thursty to ensure that someone's life is made absolutely miserable. There is no negotiation. If they ask for one piece of proof, and you provide it, they will find something else to ensure that the dog is not staying in that province. They are relentless and ridiculous.
I have had the 'Privilege' to work AGAINST certain officers, and won in the sense that I was only able to remove 'pit types' but in no way was I able to ever alter the minds of these people and let a family keep their companions. It is senseless, outrageous and it infuriates me to no end. I cannot believe the narrow minded and arrogance of certain officials.

Cathy1
January 10th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Mercieca said they led him to believe the papers were have to have the dog neutered, when in fact they signed ownership of the dog away and approved a kill order.

Always read before you sign anything. Those by-law officers love their job.

BenMax
January 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Always read before you sign anything. Those by-law officers love their job.

Indeed. One would believe that you could trust. This belief is 100% wrong in this case as well as many others. They go on pretense, are curteous and then they hit you like a venomous snake.

chico2
January 10th, 2011, 05:10 PM
OMG,it just makes you sick:frustrated:
Granted,the owner should have had the pup neutered,but he could be living on disability,with not enough money to pay.
Not everyone knows about the clinics that s/n for a minimum charge.

Ben-Max,kudos to you,for doing what you do,I don't think I could,I would live in a constant state of anger:evil:

Luvmypitgirls
January 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
It makes me sick too...how those officers sleep at night, let alone look at themselves in the mirror every day is beyond me. I believe Karma will eventually catch up to them...and when it does...I hope it's painful!:evil:
Out here we call them the Pitbull Nazi's...genocide is genocide and unfortunately some humans just don't care.:cry:

Chris21711
January 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Oshawa Animal Control have another one in their sights now :yell:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Help-Save-Roxy-from-Death-Row/133047243426017

Melinda
January 13th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I so feel for this man and would do the same thing by fleeing ontario, but why wasn't the dog fixed? Thats been a law for quite a few years now.
In cornwall I guess we're lucky , our by law officers will give warnings but I've yet to hear of one taken away *knocks on wood* I know owners who have been told to get them neutured and put back on leash, so far no fines have been issued with bill 132.
we had on incident when a pitty kept breaking through a window and terrorizing the neighbours dogs. The owner was fined and given strict instructions to keep the windows closed when they are out and dog is alone, to have a secure fence installed and muzzle the dog. Mind you, this one was quite cross and aggressive (owners fault). Haven't heard much else on it in the past 3 yrs.

Good luck to this young man and I hope he finds all those doggie parks.:thumbs up

BenMax
January 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM

Freak! And these are the ones we know about....you would be astonished to know all those that do not come to our attention. It is a horrible epidemic! These are power hungry people who are using their authority to make everyone's life absolutely miserable...and for what? Answer: to stroke their sadistic egos.

luckypenny
January 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
CALGARY -- Leonidus the pit bull has been man's best friend and service dog to Jared Mercieca, an Ontarian with a hearing impairment, for several months.

So when the dog was put on death row by bylaw officials in Oshawa, Ont., it was up to Mercieca to be dog's best friend and flee with Leo to Calgary, where the pit bull's life would be spared.

"He has always notified me who is on the property, who is at the door, who has pulled into the driveway -- he's my ears," said Mercieca, adding Leo will even find a vibrating cellphone that his master can't hear due to his disability.

Back in November, Mercieca took Leo for a walk in Oshawa and stopped at a local skate park to let the dog have a drink of water.

He removed Leo's muzzle -- which pit bull-type dogs in Ontario must wear -- momentarily, but as he was putting it back on he was approached by bylaw officers who began enquiring about the dog.

New legislation in 2005 made all pit bull breeds illegal in Ontario, meaning only those born prior to the change were allowed to remain pets and even then they must be muzzled and neutered, said Calgary's bylaw boss Bill Bruce.

Because Leo was not muzzled or neutered when they saw him, the bylaw officers showed up at Mercieca's home the next day with papers for him to sign.

I wouldn't expect this man to do any less. He took on his dog knowing full well the possible consequences of not following the law (regardless how unfair it is). While I commend him for his moving to keep his dog safe, I can't bring myself to feel sorry for him :shrug:.

This, on the other hand, has me livid. Not only did they get the dog after the law was passed, after viewing all the photos, I'd be willing to bet that not only wasn't she spayed, she most likely had a litter of puppies as well. If this is the case, they're pleading for help now? What the hell were they thinking :wall:? They knowingly put their dog's life in jeopardy and are expecting others to come to their rescue?? I don't feel any compassion for them whatsoever. In fact, owners like this should be fined heavily (not for owning a banned dog but for putting the dog's lives at risk) and made to pay for all costs incurred with re-homing their dogs and their upkeep for the rest of their lives.

I don't believe nor support this law at all. In fact, I believe it's the worst thing that could have happened to the breed. Owning an illegal Pitbull seems to have become a fad and there would seem to be more irresponsible owners than ever. It angers me to no end when owners and breeders egocentrically cry for mercy because of their stupidity and expect others to feel sorry and take care of their responsibilities, or rather, lack thereof.

Yes, the breed bans are abhorrent but, the fact is it's still the law. I would like to know however, how many owners of these banned dogs have actually done something to fight and change that law? While there are few that protest and are doing something about it, where is everyone else?

I was discussing this issue with a friend and she made a very valid point. We complain about our taxes but, if we don't pay them (although it's the law), we're going to have to pay the consequences when found out. Am I going to run to the media and cry "no fair?" "I disobeyed the law but can you all feel sorry for me and help me pay my taxes?" If I don't like what the government is doing, then I'll do my part in fighting what's unfair...breaking the law is not the way to go about it.

As long as these laws exist, for those that purposefully breed or purchase a banned dog, they themselves are signing their dogs' death certificates and have no one else to blame. It makes me sick to my stomach.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
As long as these laws exist, for those that purposefully breed or purchase a banned dog, they themselves are signing their dogs' death certificates and have no one else to blame. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Agreed. Now how about those dogs that are mixes of all types: cane corso X, Dogo X, boston X, Bulldogue X, American Bulldog X, boxer X, rottie X. All these dog mixes are in jeapardy. Any idea how many of these are also destroyed based on appearance and measurements?

My point is where do you draw the line for those that have been breeding (because it's not illegal to do so) these mixes and how about puppymillers still selling to petstores filled with these mixes.

Anyone can buy a mix whatever and it can resemble but not be a pit X or amstaff...When you get a puppy..it looks like a puppy and then looks like a pittie X...and now you have people who have invested love, money, time into these dogs and they are now in a position to unload this dog of mix breed of mix whatever?

It is very very complicating on monitoring this so called law. It is a fishnet catching everything in it's path. Innocent people, innocent lives, innocent animals are being ruined. To paint a brush over everyone that owns a dog that resembles whatever is really not fair in my opinion.

luckypenny
January 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
BenMax, you make a very good point. That's why we should be fighting to change the laws, not fighting to break them. Where are all those owners of those mixed breeds? Who did they vote for at the last election? What are they doing to protect themselves and the future of their beloved dogs? There must be tens of thousands of such people, where are they? As for the breeders breeding these dogs, they too know the laws and they too know what their dogs will resemble. Why on earth would they be breeding them when they know these dogs too will be at risk? I can only guess it's because perhaps they're byb's and the only thing they care about is lining their pockets. They don't care about the laws, the dogs, nor do they care about the families who could possibly find themselves in very tragic circumstances. A great example of "buyer beware."

To paint a brush over everyone that owns a dog that resembles whatever is really not fair in my opinion.

I didn't do that anywhere in my post. My comments were in regards to owners of obvious banned/illegal dogs that don't fall under the grandfather clause.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
BenMax, you make a very good point. That's why we should be fighting to change the laws, not fighting to break them. Where are all those owners of those mixed breeds? Who did they vote for at the last election? What are they doing to protect themselves and the future of their beloved dogs? There must be tens of thousands of such people, where are they? As for the breeders breeding these dogs, they too know the laws and they too know what their dogs will resemble. Why on earth would they be breeding them when they know these dogs too will be at risk? I can only guess it's because perhaps they're byb's and the only thing they care about is lining their pockets. They don't care about the laws, the dogs, nor do they care about the families who could possibly find themselves in very tragic circumstances. A great example of "buyer beware."

I didn't do that anywhere in my post. My comments were in regards to owners of obvious banned/illegal dogs that don't fall under the grandfather clause.

I totally agree with your first paragraph LP. Where are those people. To answer: They do not think that they are affected because they do not own this breed...or do they? They find out only too late unfortunately.

As for your second paragraph, I am addressing everyone I guess from this thread as well as other threads...not you in particular.

Let me take this opportunity to educate some about the vets in Ontario. Does anyone have any idea how many vets blow the whistle on possible mix breeds that resemble pitties and/or amstaffs? I personally know of many...MANY! They are part of this problem on a large scale. They disgust me.

This is a very complicating issue, with many underlyning factors. The scenarios are different for everyone in this circumstance. Yes, it's a law, but people have no clue about the 'directives of evaluation' to determine if you own a pittie/amstaff or X of both or one of the banned breed. It is absolutely ridiculous to read and makes it almost impossible to determine the type of dog you own.

I have heard some terrible accounts. I have helped alot of people and alot of dogs. Through this I have met some incredible people who are actively trying to change things. Unfortunately they are hushed and now underground but they are there. It has been an honor to know these people and help out if I am able.

I want to also make mention that these organizations and individuals (including myself) do not assist any dog (any breed) that has aggressive tendancies towards humans and/or other dogs (unless approved). This is a rule...unspoken but true. There has been times when a dog has been transported midway and then returned for euthanasia because it did not prove to be stable. This is standard for any dog being approved for rescue/transport/re-homing.

LP - people are not screaming louder because there is no forum to do so. When they do, they are watched closely and muffled. Sad but true. Regardless, the fight continues to make changes.

luckypenny
January 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I stand behind my comments. The underlying factor imo is this ridiculous law. That's where this mess began, that's where it has to end. No one is watched closely and muffled when going to the polls. We live in a democracy where our laws reflect society's mores and values. If the majority wants laws changed, then they have to do something about it, not sit on their arses waiting for the few protesters/advocates to do their jobs for them.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I stand behind my comments. The underlying factor imo is this ridiculous law. That's where this mess began, that's where it has to end. No one is watched closely and muffled when going to the polls. We live in a democracy where our laws reflect society's mores and values. If the majority wants laws changed, then they have to do something about it, not sit on their arses waiting for the few protesters/advocates to do their jobs for them.

Then stand by them but don't think for one moment that nothing is being done.

Everything is easy to say in words or writings, but it's something else to actually know what is going on.

I can talk until I am blue in the face.
BTW - another one is being transported today. There are good people out there doing what they can, and there are good people losing the right to continue to love their pets, regardless of the breed.

luckypenny
January 14th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Then stand by them but don't think for one moment that nothing is being done.

Everything is easy to say in words or writings, but it's something else to actually know what is going on.

I can talk until I am blue in the face.
BTW - another one is being transported today. There are good people out there doing what they can, and there are good people losing the right to continue to love their pets, regardless of the breed.

Sigh, I never said nothing is being done and I'm not disputing what you're saying. What I want to know is where is the vast majority, the general public, besides those that are already doing something? What I want to know is why ppl intentionally continue to breed and buy obvious banned dogs and then cry when they have to face the consequences of their actions. A disease doesn't get cured by putting a bandage over it.

erykah1310
January 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
, not fighting to break them. Where are all those owners of those mixed breeds? Who did they vote for at the last election?

But a boxer mix puppy is not illegal, his appearance "may" be something that falls under the "substantually similar" category.

So should we all tell people not to adopt a boxer mix because it wont have any proof that it isn't a "pitbull"?

Why doesnt Ontario just round up anything with short hair and a blocky head and euthanize them right away to prevent the suffering of these animals.

If there was another Rottie/ Boxer mix for adoption near me regardless of age I would adopt it in a heart beat. Kita herself has been called a "pitbull" thousands of times.
Is it safe to say that now in Ontario no matter what your dog actually is, if someone might call it a pitbull in the future it is better off not with its family?

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Sigh, I never said nothing is being done and I'm not disputing what you're saying. What I want to know is where is the vast majority, the general public, besides those that are already doing something? What I want to know is why ppl intentionally continue to breed and buy obvious banned dogs and then cry when they have to face the consequences of their actions. A disease doesn't get cured by putting a bandage over it.

Don't sigh LP.
The majority (general public) do not give a damn. The owners of these dogs and people who are interested in animal welfare are the ones trying to do something. Others DO NOT CARE. Those that do care are not in numbers.

You already answered your own question regarding breeding...they are doing it for money and once the cash is in their pocket they could not give a hoot about what happens.

For those purchasing, there are some people that have no clue as to what category their dogs fall under. Call it stupid, naive whatever...it is only when there is a sighting do they become educated.

As for being responsible about what breed or type you own...there are people here on pets that ask us reguarily what breed they have. That is the average person.

Funny - I was at the shelter yesterday and reading some information on trying to determine if a dog was a pittie. Do you know how many I got wrong? Almost all of them.:shrug:. And I would consider myself pretty darn good at determining breed.

erykah1310
January 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
A disease doesn't get cured by putting a bandage over it.
No but instead of placing blame a group of people with the same intentions at heart band together and fight together to cure it.

Love4himies
January 14th, 2011, 02:05 PM

I think for some, they think that the dog has to be a purebred pitbull/american staffordshire, but it only has to RESEMBLE a pitbull to be illegal. So for some who are not doggie smart or law smart, they think they are buying a legal dog if it's not a purebred.

The only way the law is going to change if public perception changes and it won't until the media starts publishing FACTS, not just sensationalized stories that put pitbulls in a bad light. The other way is to have people in contact with pitbulls somewhat in a way scared dogs are socialized with humans.

My parents think pitbulls are ALL EVIL. Every single one of them, and they should all be destroyed. Doesn't matter how much I talk to them, I can't change their mind. They are not the only bullheaded people that think that way here in Ontario, there is many of them.

14+kitties
January 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Truly, I believe all of this goes back to education. If people are educated/aware of the issue then people will work together as a whole to solve the issue. Unfortunately this, as a lot of other animal welfare issues, only comes to the forefront when there is a problem. That, in my humble opinion, is the wrong time for it to happen. People need to be shown the gentler side of many breeds of dogs that have been branded by that wide brush. Not just Pittys.

There are a majority of people out there who believe the crap put out about these dogs thanks to the media's portrayal. Watch an episode of Judge Judy when someone is suing someone else because their dog attacked another dog. Listen to her opinion of Pittys and other bully breeds. She has a ton of influence on people's perception. That's unfortunate. But to be fair probably the only contact she has had with these dogs is through the courts.

But, money talks. Look at the Cesar Millan (?). He had a perfect opportunity to do a great deal of good when it comes to educating people about Pits and other "bully" breeds. He could have taken a stand and refused to come to Ontario to do his talks when he found out his Pitty could not come with him. Instead he left Junior behind because the money was too good to lose. What does that say? Even the mighty buckle when it comes to money.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
14+K - well said and written. I fully agree, especially with the statement that only what comes to the forefront is what comes to dialogue and into general attention.

Unfortunately I do not believe that these types/breed of dogs are going to be given the opportunity to PROVE their worthiness. They have been banished and even when they are in plain view, wearing a muzzle, that muzzle alone provides a certain stigma to the dog - "it is dangerous". This is an obvious disadvantage of shedding some positive light on the dogs.

Ontario is not the only province. Quebec is following suite. Slowly it is creeping up.

erykah1310
January 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
That so bothered me when he came here no matter what but is always defending the breed.
Money talks for sure.

Luvmypitgirls
January 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Apparently my thread "outrageous" which was dealing with the same issue was deleted for being in limbo for awhile...:rolleyes: but as I said there,
I am not asking for compassion for the ppl breaking the law, but for the innocent dogs that come about from the ppl breaking the law.
Are we saying that the dogs that come from ppl breaking this law are less worthy because they are illegal? Therefore too bad for them?
The ppl breaking the law and breeding Pits in Ontario should be given tough punishments, I have no compassion for them. I do have compassion for the hundreds of puppies being slaughtered and the hundreds of other dogs being killed simply for having big bone structure or big heads or wide chests! It's not just ppl breaking the law but those hired to enforce it turning it into some sort of witch hunt!
People that take in the "illegal" dogs to get spare their lives and try to rehome them out of province shouldn't be condemned but commended.

BenMax
January 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Apparently my thread "outrageous" which was dealing with the same issue was deleted for being in limbo for awhile...:rolleyes: but as I said there,
I am not asking for compassion for the ppl breaking the law, but for the innocent dogs that come about from the ppl breaking the law.
Are we saying that the dogs that come from ppl breaking this law are less worthy because they are illegal? Therefore too bad for them?
The ppl breaking the law and breeding Pits in Ontario should be given tough punishments, I have no compassion for them. I do have compassion for the hundreds of puppies being slaughtered and the hundreds of other dogs being killed simply for having big bone structure or big heads or wide chests! It's not just ppl breaking the law but those hired to enforce it turning it into some sort of witch hunt!
People that take in the "illegal" dogs to get spare their lives and try to rehome them out of province shouldn't be condemned but commended.

I have to agree with you.:thumbs up

14+kitties
January 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM

I don't get the feeling that anyone is condemning people taking these puppers out of Ont to save them. :shrug: I sure am not. I am condemning the breeders who insist on breeding them and flaunt the ban. I am condemning those same people who put on a big act when they are caught about how much they love the breed. If that were true then they should be trying to save them. Not put them in life threatening positions. I am condemning the people who buy/have a pittie just for the fact that it is a pittie. Those are the people we need to go after. Those are the people who need to be hit big time with fines.

chico2
January 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I actually have a prime example of people not seeing a Pittie in a cross.
A family with 3 teenage daughters took in the SheperdX,a beautiful dog whom some University-guys was going to destroy.

Well,the oldest daughter,also in University,brought the dog home and the family loved her as did their cats.

The first time I saw her,I could see Pittie in her,the only thing German Shepard are her ears and the shape of her body.
She is brindle and has an obvious pittie-head,to me anyway.
They took her to the vet and I have not seen her since,I have a bad feeling,the vet reported them.
There was never any reason for them to get her a muzzle,to them she was only a ShepardX and very sweet.
I believe they said she was only 2 yrs old.

These people love animals,rescue dogs/cats/squirrels etc...all the time,next time I see them,I have to asked what happened.
I should probably have told them,she was a Shepard/pittieX,but I did not want to make them worry,the dog was a wonderful dog.:(

luckypenny
January 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
No but instead of placing blame a group of people with the same intentions at heart band together and fight together to cure it.

Who and where is that being done in this thread? Did you see that in my posts? You really think byb's and legit owners have the same intentions? How about byb's and rescuers? The only blame I place is on the breed ban law itself and on those that blatantly put their own dogs lives at risk by disregarding those laws, not on law-abiding citizens who are doing everything in their power to stop this stupidity.

I guess I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't get the feeling that anyone is condemning people taking these puppers out of Ont to save them. :shrug: I sure am not.

I don't see where they are condemned in this thread either. If something happened in another thread to take it off-topic then that's where it should be left.

I am condemning the breeders who insist on breeding them and flaunt the ban. I am condemning those same people who put on a big act when they are caught about how much they love the breed. If that were true then they should be trying to save them. Not put them in life threatening positions. I am condemning the people who buy/have a pittie just for the fact that it is a pittie. Those are the people we need to go after. Those are the people who need to be hit big time with fines.

Amen.

Love4himies
January 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I don't get the feeling that anyone is condemning people taking these puppers out of Ont to save them. :shrug: I sure am not. I am condemning the breeders who insist on breeding them and flaunt the ban. I am condemning those same people who put on a big act when they are caught about how much they love the breed. If that were true then they should be trying to save them. Not put them in life threatening positions. I am condemning the people who buy/have a pittie just for the fact that it is a pittie. Those are the people we need to go after. Those are the people who need to be hit big time with fines.

Exactly!

erykah1310
January 15th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Who and where is that being done in this thread? Did you see that in my posts? You really think byb's and legit owners have the same intentions?

It is solely a comment based on your previous quote... no where did I say anything about threads or that it was or was not happening somewhere.
:shrug:

Also, I did not say that byb'ers and legit owners had the same intentions, what I did say is that everyone needs to band together on this that truely cares about the "type" in question.

Etown_Chick
January 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
BenMax
when you move these beautiful dogs out of Ontario, where do you send them? Just curious.

Melinda
January 15th, 2011, 04:48 PM
we have sent a few to Alberta and others to Quebec, not sure where Ben Max sends theirs though.

BenMax
January 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
BenMax
when you move these beautiful dogs out of Ontario, where do you send them? Just curious.

Alberta, Nova Scotia, Quebec. The organization also sends out of Canada but I am not privvy to this information.