Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is getting crazy, now I found a Yorkie!

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I was leaving for work this morning, and had gone down the usual route so I could put some food out for the stray kitties. As I got to the bottom landing, I saw this Yorkie near the stairs, just before the cats chased him off. Well, I gave the cats their food, then went out to the sidewalk and saw this little guy several feet ahead of me near the pool gate. He looked positively terrified. I crouched down and called to him. He did come toward me a few feet then stopped. I started walking really slow toward him and when I got close, he sort of just crouched down with his head low. OMG I felt so bad for him.

He had no collar, yet he looked VERY well taken care of. I honestly don't believe he got away from anyone, especially after Miguel told me he'd seen him running around on Friday. :mad: I suspect the same thing happened to him that happened to the cat from last week. Someone decided it was easier for them to just toss him out and let him fend for himself. :frustrated:

He allowed me to pick him up and I asked Miguel to go to my apartment with me, so he could open the door while I held on to the little guy. He told me he also doesn't think he got away from anyone, and that he was likely tossed out. It's the collar that makes me think this, the fact he didn't have one. Easier to lose a dog with no collar right?:loser:

So, I put him in my upstairs bathroom and left the light on for him. It's downcast here today so I didn't want him to be in too much darkness. I put some water for him and the only food I had for him was cat food.:shrug: I'm going to have to get a small bag of food for him on the way home, and see if I can call my vets office and ask if they may have a spare carrier or something I can keep him in for the next several days while I'm not home. Just so I can leave him out in the living room maybe, I don't know. I'm at a loss. What am I going to do with him? I don't want to take him to animal services here, they are a kill shelter. I'm going to see if I can find any Yorkie rescues in my area.

I've thought about keeping him, but I don't know if I can, what with the gang. How are they going to feel about a doggy in their home?

Ugh, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. I don't get paid until Friday. Ideally I'd like to take him to the vet and have him looked at, but I've got no money! Maybe I'll call and see if I can talk to someone and they'll let me bring him in anyway and I can just pay them on Friday. It's not like I'm going to skip out on the bill.

I'm so confused. Poor little guy, he was so scared.:cry:

My office computer is down with a virus. I've got someone coming in to try and fix it, so I don't know when I'll be back on here.

Cross your fingers folks. And here I thought 2011 was going to give me a break.:wall:

Love4himies
January 10th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Holy Crap! That poor thing :(. Are you going to contact your local shelter just in case he has been reported missing?

Dogs can eat cat food for a bit, I think it is cats that can't eat dog food just in case it isn't supplemented with taurine.

Frenchy
January 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I did a quick search ....

http://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/74266.html

http://www.unitedyorkierescue.org/?page_id=2

the worst that can happen with him eating cat food will be .... diarhea :o

can you get your vet to lend you a crate ?

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Frenchy. when my office computer is fixed I'll have a look st those links. I'm taking him to my vets office later so they can check him for a chip, and they said they have a crate they can lend me for a few days. So at least i can keep him in there while I'm at work and in the evening and see if the gang wont be too upset w/him around.

kitona
January 10th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Not having a collar on doesn't necessairly mean that the poor guy was dumped. My sibe foster slipped her collar and bolted on me over the weekend. If he looks to be well taken care of, he's probably missed by someone. Or it's possible that a dispute of some sort led to him running away or being turfed out. Who knows. I put an ad up on kijiji and my dog was spotted farther away and in a totally different direction than I figured. Maybe let your local AC know you have him incase someone is looking for him.

pattymac
January 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I think that likely he'd do okay. Would take a bit of time and work. I guess you'd have to see if he's housetrained and all that stuff. I'm with Kitona, check with local vets and stuff just in case he is missing from a good home. There are quite a few people who don't leave collars on their dogs when they're in the house.

For some reason I thought you were in a cold climate. Thank goodness you're in Florida where it doesn't get cold by Canadian standards. I'd hate to see something as small as a Yorkie in our -30 weather we're having here in Saskatchewan!!

BenMax
January 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I have to agree with others. No collar does not necessarily mean no one looking. To be very honest with you, Julia does not wear a collar ever (when we go for walks she wears a harness). For obvious reasons she cannot wear collars so I am relying on micro chip if she ever got lost.

chico2
January 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
A-G,thank you for taking care of the little dog,I would think if someone lost him,you'd find posters around:dog:
I don't know how big your complex is,but someone must know if anyone had a Yorkie..
This little guy could have been in all kinds of trouble had you not cared:grouphug:
If you do not find an owner,maybe your dad would like a second little dog,or at least keep him until an owner is found.

I'd think the first place an owner would call,is the local shelter,so I would ask if a Yorkie is missing.

ancientgirl
January 10th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thankfully, we found the owner. Some bonehead that lives in one of the buildings in the back of the complex. He was moving some stuff out of his apartment and left the door open the entire time, and he didn't take the time to make sure his dog was locked up. Sorry, but the guy is a moron. Anyway, the little guy is safe back at home. :thumbs up

Thanks guys for offering your thoughts and advice. :grouphug:

kitona
January 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear he's back home, even if it is with a ''moron''. Believe me, after loosing my dog because I didn't check her collar before walking out with her, I REALLY feel like a moron! But yeah, leaving a door wide open is pretty, well, not too smart.

hazelrunpack
January 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Exciting times, indeed!!! :D Glad to hear it all turned out well! And now, if it happens again, at least you know where the little tyke belongs :thumbs up

catlover2
January 22nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Glad to hear you found his owner...maybe he'll be more responsible and careful if there's a next time a door gets left open.

By the way, my son had a Yorkie and the breeder told him not to put a collar on him, only a harness, because their necks are too delicate or something like that. His Yorkie was microchipped in case he got lost. Perhaps not wearing a collar may also apply to other toy breeds?

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Well, I don't know if he'll be more responsible. Frankly, the fact that he didn't even so much as thank me for even bringing the little guy inside to keep him safe made me wish the little guy had stayed lost. I had spent the day thinking about keeping him.

14+kitties
January 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well, I don't know if he'll be more responsible. Frankly, the fact that he didn't even so much as thank me for even bringing the little guy inside to keep him safe made me wish the little guy had stayed lost. I had spent the day thinking about keeping him.

Maybe next time AG. ;)

ancientgirl
January 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Maybe next time AG. ;)

OH believe me, as bad as this sounds, if I see that little dog again wandering around I'm making him disappear. He as absolutely adorable!

joeysmama
January 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Oh it almost makes you wish the owner didn't turn up. If one of my little guys got away I would go crazy looking for him/her. Doesn't sound like this moron broke a sweat does it? Yeah the next time this dog goes missing he should "go missing" kwim? ;)

ancientgirl
January 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Oh it almost makes you wish the owner didn't turn up. If one of my little guys got away I would go crazy looking for him/her. Doesn't sound like this moron broke a sweat does it? Yeah the next time this dog goes missing he should "go missing" kwim? ;)

He was just such a sweet little guy. And no, his owner didn't bust a gut looking for him, not at all.