Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I've had ENOUGH!

Etown_Chick
January 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Of this dang snow! Probably 35 cms by now..haven't been able to take Scruffy to the park since Friday because I'd get stuck about seventeen times, round trip. All we can do is leash walks. He's making me nuts, he needs to run so badly.
I know it's winter, we just don't normally get this much snow. How do people in heavy snow areas cope? Or do you all have 4x4's, not floaty little Civics?

Luvmypitgirls
January 10th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Of this dang snow! Probably 35 cms by now..haven't been able to take Scruffy to the park since Friday because I'd get stuck about seventeen times, round trip. All we can do is leash walks. He's making me nuts, he needs to run so badly.
I know it's winter, we just don't normally get this much snow. How do people in heavy snow areas cope? Or do you all have 4x4's, not floaty little Civics?

I hear and understand your frustration! I am laying on my sofa at the moment, unable to move very well, sore and achy from all the shovelling over the past couple days.We shovelled our sidewalk and driveway several times do to drifting, and then a we did a couple of our neighbors that are disabled and elderly.
My hubby and I were up until almost 4 a.m this morning (Sunday), pushing and digging out vehicle after vehicle that got stuck in the intersection just behind us, that drifted in so badly that finally we gave up when vehicles became high centered and the snow was up to our thighs. I drove a couple of young people home after their Matrix got stuck and there was no way we were getting them out.
I feel like I've been hit by a truck!
My inlaws bought me a snowblower for christmas, but unfortunately it's electric and doesn't work very well, but we are taking it back to Lowe's and getting a store credit towards a big heavy duty one..I'm too old for all this shovelling and pushing vehicles

mhikl
January 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Namaste Etown_Chick,

Not sure the size of your wee beastie but if Stuffy is not too small to get lost in a drift of snow till spring then I have a plan for you. The trailer home I lived in on a job up north had two doors about 14 steps apart. Those in such a configuration are in real luck. Presently my kitchen and living room doors are at opposite ends of the house. Not so easy but better than a tramp in the snow for me.

Here's how it's done. Same procedure whatever the domicile. In the trailer I would let the Sade out the front door. Then close it. I'd walk the fourteen or so steps to the back door and call her. I'd question if she was hungry which would bring her galloping, or digging and hopping her way to the door. The back door opened up to a world twelve feed below as there weren't any steps to the ground so she couldn't get up to scratch at the door. I'd see her, she'd see me. I would close the door and walk the 14 or so steps to the front door. I'd call her again with the enticement of food and she would make her way back. Actually, the tougher the terrain the better. Works more muscles.

I'd do this until I got bored and then let her in. Amazing how few kibbles in that day satisfied her. I do the same from the house but now I have to throw her a kibble or two (now a small raw piece of meat) at each door. They learn to adapt.

You would need to study your terrain and work out the plan. You might have your partner or a friend walk Stuffy the jaunt a few times while you would be waiting at the other door with the treat. If you live in an apartment and had a willing neighbour at the far end of the hallway, you might be able to work out some arrangement along these lines.

Another little twist to this exercise fix takes some set up and practise. You would have to train Stuffy to go to and stay in one farthest corner part of same domicile (eg. "Stuffy, basement corner!") You could leisurely walk to the furthest part from it and, with treat in hand, call Stuffy. Once he's received his treat you would tell him to "stay". And then you'd walk to Stuffy's previous corner and call him again. Although not as elegant as the trailer home exercise plan, you would get some walking and Stuffy would get some running time in.

A final idea would involve a drill and drill bit the size smaller than the circumference of the flexible plastic tubing you would be running through aligned holes from the top of the house to the bottom. After installing the drop tube from upper most floor to bottom most floor you could drop said kibble from the top to bottom, saving yourself a lot of walking. I'm sure that by now you're catching on to my way of thinking. Honestly, laziness is one of the greatest incentives to invention our species has ever devised, and I am full of lazy.

The hard part done, now the training would begin. Stuffy should be standing beside you waiting, tail wagging. Let Stuffy see you drop the kibble down the 'Kibble Chute' (KC) and then walk him down to the bottom corner where the kibble has dropped to the floor. You will repeat this until Stuffy catches on and is able to shoot off like the proverbial bat for his kibble from the sight of your drop.

Oh bless gravity. After your first drop and Stuffy's tare to the bottom floor, place your ear over the KC and when you hear Stuffy rustling after the kibble, place mouth over the KC and holler "Stuffy, come". Once Stuffy has caught on to the game and will return after snatching his treat without any further exertion from you, you can pull up a chair, grab a book, turn on the telly or yap with a friend on the phone while you take Stuffy on his run. With a well placed side table to hold your cup of coffee and a bowl of kibble, your efforts and skills at multitasking will have turned those cold winter days into mini-winter respites. Your friends will stand in awe and view the plastic tubing running up your walls with envy.

I believe that where there's a will (and the desire to move as little as possible on very cold days), there's always a way. However, I am skeptical that this would work for cats. They are so smart. They know you will give up and fetch the kibble for them.

Cheers,
mhikl

BSCC
January 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about all your snow. We are getting our own little fair bit right now too on the other end but don't know that what we have gotten so far compares to what you all have gotten.

I refuse to have to stay inside though so am looking into pulling harness for the dogs so they can pull my daughter and we can go on some walks.

Rgeurts
January 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Ugh... I feel your pain :yell: :frustrated:
We (hubby, myself and 3 neighbors) spent an HOUR last night digging my poor MIL's little focus out of the road in front of our driveway. The drifts were so bad she got high centered trying to pull in. The drive in to the city was brutal this morning, we counted 11 vehicles off the road between Leduc and Edmonton :eek: :eek:
Highway 2 was a skating rink.

And poor Nookie... the snow is so deep that it goes past his short little legs and almost to his neck in most areas. He's had a couple of accidents because the snow is just too deep for him to go poo. Hubby and I will be shoveling an area for him when we get home tonight :o

Etown_Chick
January 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Took Scruffy to the park tonight, we had to go. LUcky us, they plowed part of the parking lot so we didnt get stuck..whoohooo..man it's tough slogging thru that snow, though.
On the plus side, I kept tossing his frisbee in the deep snow to make him work. HE should sleep well tonight!
Mhikl those are some interesting ideas! I've played 'hides' - I send him to the bathroom and hide little treats all over the house and he has to root them out.
I like the front door/back door thing, but if let him out the front, he'd probably run down the street after an imaginary bunny!
Dogs are smart though, if they learn that doing something gets them a treat, they'll do it til they drop.
LMPG ya if you are south, which I think you are, you would have got it even worse than us!

mhikl
January 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I've played 'hides' - I send him to the bathroom and hide little treats all over the house and he has to root them out.!

Namaste Etown_Chick,

I play Find Me. I hide somewhere in the house and then call Sadie. She always comes and looks for me. She goes nuts when she's successful and wines like a weenie when she can't. She's too good at it now, but when she used to miss me and went to another room, I would come out and find a "usual" place in the same room; I didn't want to give away me new hiding place.

I haven't used your hides game, but it looks good. Unfortunately, Sadie wants to get her figure back (actually, she doesn't care but I don't wont to come off as a MCP in the canine world). We're both transitioning to a BARF diet (mine is slightly cooked; I like rare) so it might be a little tricky, but I still have some kibbles left and they're small enough and healthy enough so that might work.

Namaste,
mhikl

Etown_Chick
January 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
mhikl
Ya Scruffy eats raw and it's done wonders for his girlish figure! But no, you don't want to hide raw liver chunks in your living room! lol

exkalibur
January 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I feel your pain....Dumdum here drove from Calgary to Peace River last friday..4x4 of course. Over here we got between 6 to 8 inches (depending on area) and it's now around -28 celcius.

Luvmypitgirls
January 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Took Scruffy to the park tonight, we had to go. LUcky us, they plowed part of the parking lot so we didnt get stuck..whoohooo..man it's tough slogging thru that snow, though.
On the plus side, I kept tossing his frisbee in the deep snow to make him work. HE should sleep well tonight!
Mhikl those are some interesting ideas! I've played 'hides' - I send him to the bathroom and hide little treats all over the house and he has to root them out.
I like the front door/back door thing, but if let him out the front, he'd probably run down the street after an imaginary bunny!
Dogs are smart though, if they learn that doing something gets them a treat, they'll do it til they drop.
LMPG ya if you are south, which I think you are, you would have got it even worse than us!

Yep I'm South...High River...some of our friends in Okotoks are still snowed in!

Luvmypitgirls
January 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I feel your pain....Dumdum here drove from Calgary to Peace River last friday..4x4 of course. Over here we got between 6 to 8 inches (depending on area) and it's now around -28 celcius.

It was minus 35 with windchill in High River last night..(between 2:30 and 3:00 am).:(

erykah1310
January 12th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I'm jealous

I just purcahsed a skidoo because it was looking like a good winter here and it rained, all the snow is gone and the sled... well, I dont want to wreck it by driving on gravel or rocks.
*sigh
Envy

pattymac
January 12th, 2011, 01:23 AM
We got a fair chunk of snow over here too...not as bad as you guys in Calgary etc. Somehow usually the worst of the weather slides over us and dumps about 60 km east in Kindersley!! Had a pretty good drift in our driveway but the landlady has teenage boys who are always looking to make a few bucks so they did the worst of it for me.

This is my 2nd prairie winter and I tell you, it's soooo much better than an Eastern Ontario winter! There's not much in the line of slush, well at least not out in the country. Ugh there's not much worse than having to slog through slush and get drowned in in. The snow gets packed in the drifts but it's still not as heavy as that wet, soggy snow that Ontario gets.

Bayley loves it here in the winter. Lots of nice, clean snow to play in. In our little town the snow stays white and clean, they don't bother salting, just a bit of sand at the intersections so I don't have to worry about salt on her paws.

Those big chest high drifts are a great workout for her and she looks so funny when her whiskers and eyelashes get all frosty. She loves snuffling through the snow looking for things.

mhikl
January 12th, 2011, 02:30 PM
It was minus 35 with windchill in High River last night..

Namaste, Luvmypitgirls,

Couldnít sleep last night in the cold that woke me from my warm bed so got up and found this thread and your post still open on my computer and memories set me to writing this short verse. Awoke this morning to add a bit of polish, and though still not right I share this with another spirit from a childís perfect town, High River.

Arise High River's Splendid Winds
A range of weather to awe
Behold the Eye of the winterís Chinook
stops cold the taunt to childís play
Dressed warm for the hopes within.
Safe and happy in the great spring stare
The foothills to race and find
Such animals fierce
as a young boy dreams
Cry out in the damp cool air.
Hot winds begun over western hills
Warm the Highwood thru they course
Bring long summers spent
in trunks and youth
bathe under a torrid sill.
When stars finally claw
At the autumn dusk
And the winds Rage strong in the dark
Far off in the hills grown weary of man
soft winds begin their thaw.

Cheers,
mhikl

Luvmypitgirls
January 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
mihkl, thank you for sharing that, it's beautiful and I plan on printing it out and framing it...:D I love poetry!
:2huggers: