Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about labs

BigDog
September 18th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Hi all!
Could you pls tell me more about labs? I know they come in three colors - chocolate, black and white, are these colors kind of separate sub-breed within one breed or they all are the same? Let's say if you cross black and chocolate labs, will new puppies be in both colors, only in one or what?
Is there any difference in structure of fur depending on the color of the lab?

thanks

goldenblaze
September 18th, 2004, 11:08 PM
When breeding Lab you can mix yellow, black and chocolate you never know what colour you will have in each litter. My Lab Kaiger was so black he was blue. I went to look at a litter of puppies the mom was black and dear old dad was yellow and there were 4 black 3 yellow 2 chocolate. Lab hair is the same on matter the colour of the dog, the only way you have long hair is if you have a Golden Retriever. Labs and Retriever's are pretty much the same in temperment, being very active busy bred, smart great pet if you have time to run and play for the next 12 yrs :D they don't slow down for a long time. Lab's are great as are Goldens the only difference is how long the hair is. I have had both Lab and Golden love them both and will always have one or two at a time. :)

Cflat
September 19th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I believe that "chocolate" is a recessive gene and not as prevalent.

Why do you ask?

BigDog
September 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM
u-u-ups, I was writing a long answer and my computer failed :(
Will answer shorter this time - recently I saw several labs, all three black had shorter hair than a chocolate one, so I was wondering if it depends on color of the fur or just on particular dog. Those black labs were from "guide dog" program, so maybe they were selected within the litter to be with shorter hair?
It's kind of fun to have three different solid colors in one litter, don't you think so? :) I guess it's one more uniqueness of this breed...

Writing4Fun
September 20th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I love Labs!! Someone told me that, until recently (within the past 50yrs or so), Chocolates were considered a "mutation" by breeders and were put down at birth!! :eek: Does anyone else know if that's true??

Bigdog - isn't that one of the most annoying things on Earth?! Writing a nice, long, well-written post only to have your PC crash? Grrr!