Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull friendly obedience training in Toronto

scarlett
September 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site. I am the proud dog-mom of Jeremy a 10.5 year old Stafordshire\Lab cross and Daisy a 3 year old Pitbull\boxer cross. I would like to go to obedience classes with Daisy. We went through a puppy classes when she was 4 months old. She did very well but it was food motivated training (so now when ever she does something she is nudging your hand for a treat) and they were big on letting the dogs "mingle" (not that great for a pound puppy pitbull) on the last day of class she started to "go after" the other pups, especially the ones that were jumpy and out of control. Anyway I was not really pleased with the whole experience but Daisy really did enjoy "preforming" and I would like her to be around other dogs in a controlled enviroment.

I was wondering if any could recomend a obedience class in Toronto that is not food based training and is friendly to pitbulls that are not so friendly with strange dogs?

Thanks
Scarlett and Daisy

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Classes for puppies and for adult dogs are different. I took my then 2 yr old pit bull to obedience school, in a class where the dogs were roughly the same age, and dogs were kept on leash and apart, except for "intermission" when people could let their dogs get together if they wished. Of course, I didn't participate in this part. And my dog too gets quite angry at dogs who act wild or out of control!

The best thing is to call or email around to schools and find out what methods they use. You can also go to a training class alone and sit on the sidelines and watch a session to see if you like what is going on.

Make sure the class is for adult dogs who will all be kept on leash. Off leash work is usually done in advanced classes.

sammiec
September 19th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Hey Scarlett; I am in Brampton, no too far away. I too have a pit bull. I went to Brampton Obidence. It was great. The instructor is a breeder and trainer of the Peel Police GSD's. There was absolutely no breed discrimination -even by the other members of our class. It was a great experience! It's 150 bucks for 8 sessions. The novice class begins at 5 months but is for any age. It's worth a try.... :D