Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recessed vulva(???) and dermatitis?

Baph
January 8th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I have a five-year-old German Shepherd/Border Collie mix who was spayed before going into her first heat (we were required to spay her shortly after adopting her from the shelter). Her vulva has always looked kind of weird, but I figured that it was just because she doesn't have hair on it so I'm not used to actually -seeing- the thing. But she licks and chews down there CONSTANTLY, and it always seems red and irritated outside of the vulva. She doesn't seem to be having any UTI symptoms or other pain, just is always licking and chewing at her vulva and the surrounding area.

I thought she was just displaying obsessive-compulsive tendencies (which I know is not uncommon for these types of dogs), but once I started looking around, I've been seeing stuff about recessed vaginas and resulting dermatitis. I really don't know how to tell if she has a recessed vagina and if maybe that's the issue. Does anyone know how I would be able to tell (visually) what a "normal" vulva should look like and what a recessed one should look like? I'm on a tight budget this month and can't afford to take her to the vet just to take a look until next month, but I want to start trying to analyze and help as much as I can in the meantime. Any advice? I've never even heard of a recessed vulva before. O.O

cell
January 8th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Is the vulva recessed or the surrounding area swollen giving the appearance of it being recessed. If you can not take her to the vet then you might want to at least try to wash and clean the area, but it is possible there is some type of irritation or infection that a vet should check out.

rainbow
January 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM
There are pics of a recessed vulva on this website ....

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ins-outs.html

Bendyfoot (one of our members) has a dog that had the surgery to correct it and has written a very informative thread about it ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=954909#post954909