Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dozer, dozer, dozer...

Sew-sew-steve
January 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
hey everyone, first off, happy new years, i hope everyones wishes and dreams come true within this year...

anyhow,

dozer is an amazing dog, as we know, he was about 5 pounds during his sickness, hes now bounced back to 13.something pounds. wich is amazing. his hip displacia is a lot better, the muscles have tightly placed his thigh bone where it needs to be, you cant displace it. BUT, he still cant walk on it completely, but he might grow out of it on his own, its all up in the air now.

my issue is

my issue is that dozer has almost a split personality... hes one thing within the courtyard, and another when we're outside.

in the couryard hes:

fiesty
dissobedient (half the time)
agressive (he bites at my legs, shoes, knees, and growls sometimes while doing it).
hes not submissive when i say "no bite!" he barks back but does not keep eye contact.

hen we're outside:

he will sit when i tell him to (hes a puppy, so it takes more than once)
he follows me with or without the leash (without the leash hes not as great at following though).
he doesnt bite aggressively when i pet him like he does when hes inside.
he usually does what i want him to do.
hes submisive
hes happier, i guess?

my mom brought up a good point, she said (and this is a translation) "its because he doesnt want to be alone, hes happier when hes with you, he knows hes gonna be alone from X time until X time".

which makes sense, i mean, on our way back home during a walk, hes reluctant to go inside, and he almost looks sad. and just today on our way back to the car at the beach, he was unwilling to walk the rest of the 10 metres to the car, he was whinning, and trying to get off the leash. hes very smart.

im trying to teach him to play fetch, i have two toys for him, one chew toy with a rope attached to it, and a kong (that doesnt keep him occupied for more than 20 minutes, cause he gets the food too quick).

when i throw his chew toy or a ball, he doesnt run after it, he just stands next to me, and when i go towards it, he will follow, and usually bite my leg lol, im confused!!!

it gets frusterating, because he gets more aggressive when i tell him to stop, sometimes its like hes trying to dominate me, so i pick him up (sometimes by the scruff if he gets really aggressive, because its how his mom or dad would pick him up) and i put him in his room, and shut the door. i wait 30 seconds to 2 minutes (or until he whines) and then i open the door. before i open the door, i try and cleanse myself of any anger, and i open the door, with a positive attitude. it works, he usually is reluctant to bite, and to be honest, i kind of meneuver my hand so that he cant bite me when i pet his head.
i've had to put him in his room 3 times in a row the other day.

i realised, maybe he doesnt like me to pet him??? i dont know.

"if you treat your dog like a human, it will treat you like a dog!"
i read that somewhere, and i guess it makes sense, i mean, does letting dozer sit on my lap mean im giving up my role as the alpha?
does petting him all the time and saying "good boy!" to try and lighten up the mood mean im giving up my role as the alpha?
does shouting "no bite!" when he barks loudly mean im being aggressive towards him?

i know, an active dog is a happy dog, and a dog who knows his place and has a job to do is also a happy dog. i love dozer, very much, but i hate it when he bites me and i cant solve the situation.

by the way, im going to surrender Dozer at an animal shelter within the next upcoming days, so i feel confident in saying, i did a good job in taking him in. im glad he didnt turn out to be one of those emotionally displaced dogs.

Winston
January 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I do know that SSS did post about Dozer in a previous thread but it was closed by ADMIN

SSS is moving and is unable to take the dog with him.

He actually rescued the dog and had it treated for medical issues and has since been taking care of the dog until he moves.

I think SSS will also agree with you that he understands that getting an animal now is a pretty big deal.

I just wanted to say as well that I have been trying to give SSS some guidance as best as I can. We will only push people further away in these circumstances. I have been trying to educate rather than slam.

SSS in all fairnesss not everyone on the site today knows about Dozer's history so perhaps next time explain the situation more clearly or you will have responses you wont like.

Cindy

Winston
January 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Chris I am just trying to help him out and provide a little guidance.. He from what he has stated is young. He told us he took the dog from someone who wanted it to be a guard dog and live its life outside without any real contact from a family. The dog became ill and he took the dog to the vet who said it had Parvo. It spent I think he said a couple of weeks at the animal hospital being treated via IV and meds. The dog made it through the treatment.

He went to return the dog to the owner because he found out his parents have decided to move. When he did this the person refused to take the dog back because it felt that their other dog would get sick from the parvo and they were apparently worried about their children catching the illness.

SSS decided to keep the dog for awhile and try to teach it some basic obediance. He looked into 2 locations for rescue. One of them was 2 hours away and another was reasonably close by.

Apparently he is not able to take the dog where they are moving to.

This is what I have been told.

If you know anything about me at all, you would know that I would never feel good about anyone really surrenduring the dog for just any old reason. I think the person in this case has a reason. It sure beats just leaving him on a street corner or worse!

As I said before if we saw the other thread about Dozer I think you may have some understanding thats all. I dont think the OP is trying to get anyone upset, I think the OP just lacks some understanding of some things.

I hope I have explained this enough...

mastifflover
January 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I thought it was a temporary situation and he was just trying to help this dog. He did do that, and I think if he could, he would keep it. I also think he has learned a lot about the responsibility of owning a dog. I am sorry he is not able to keep the dog but I hope he could find someone to adopted the dog instead of surrendering it.

Winston
January 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I discussed that with SSS as well and origionally he was going to try to find it a new owner by taking it to a beach area where alot of people frequent and see if someone would like the dog. I had suggested that he look into rescues/shelters and see if one would assist him. I and SSS agreed that the pup may have a better opportunity at getting a proper home.

Having said all this none of us know what the fate of the pup would be whether he takes it and gives him away or surrenders but I would at the very least think that if it is a rescue/shelter they could screen their candidates better than the OP could at the beach?? just my thoughts??

Again we dont have the whole story unfortunately and we are no where close to Kuwait to be able to assist the OP??

Blackbear
January 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Pls keep this thread civil or it will be closed. If you can offer constructive advice to the OP, pls do. If you can't, pls do not post.

Thank you,
Blackbear

Winston
January 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM
My efforts here were to explain what I have been told. If that upsets some folks I am sorry your upset.

You have to understand your reading between the lines alot of time when communicating in this type of forum. If I was able to confirm the info that would be great but I cant, so I offer the advise I see fit.

I guess we wouldnt be even discussing this is the OP had just dumped the dog on the side of the corner?? I thought that the OP showed some form of responsibility by taking the dog to the vet for treatment?

I am not sticking up for anyone or fighting their battles I was just trying to tell people there was a thread closed where the info on the dog was provided.

Hope this clears it up for all of you.

Bottom line is I really hope Dozer finds a great home where he will be loved.

Maybe the Mods will close the thread now because I am sure nothing positive is about to be said here.

pbpatti
January 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM
My efforts here were to explain what I have been told. If that upsets some folks I am sorry your upset.

You have to understand your reading between the lines alot of time when communicating in this type of forum. If I was able to confirm the info that would be great but I cant, so I offer the advise I see fit.

I guess we wouldnt be even discussing this is the OP had just dumped the dog on the side of the corner?? I thought that the OP showed some form of responsibility by taking the dog to the vet for treatment?

I am not sticking up for anyone or fighting their battles I was just trying to tell people there was a thread closed where the info on the dog was provided.

Hope this clears it up for all of you.

Bottom line is I really hope Dozer finds a great hope where he will be loved.

Maybe the Mods will close the thread now because I am sure nothing positive is about to be said here.

I wanted to add my :2cents: I agree with Winston, this young person who is on the other side of the world has been doing his best for this dog, he has been trying to be a caring person towards this dog, feeding and training as best he can. Please give him positive information that he can use. patti

Winston
January 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Maybe the Mods will close the thread now?? that would proably be the best for everyone.

Shaykeija
January 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Good luck Dozer, we all hope that you get the family you so richly deserve...

kigndano
January 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
my bad

didnt know the history

you did a good thing for that animal - sorry.

Sew-sew-steve
January 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
The weather in Kuwait is kinda cold now, today is probably the coldest day... Definety a day to wear a sweater... But after seeing how my thread was vandalized, I've gotten so pissed now that I can't keep my sweater on from how hot I got.

I thought we got passed the hate???

I thought we agreed to disagree??

I thought people here didn't hold grudges???

I actually can't believe this crap.

Honestly, grow up, or go and watch some tv. I spent almost half my money to save this dog, and I'm still paying his medical bills even though he's out of the hospital. I don't know what was said, that's a good thing, but to those Who's comments were removed due to being pessimistic, don't comment on My threads unless your intentions are good.

If I could keep dozer, I would.
Even if I could and didnt want tp keep him, WHATS THE BIG FRIGGING DEAL?!?!?! Can't you look passed that he's gonna suffer separation anxiety??? I mean, isn't that a small price to pay compared to him maybe being thrown out(like many people here tend to do), or having to be shot because he's too aggressive(due to being cooped up
In a cage all his life with no socialization).

Do you know what his condition was BEFORE I took him?
He's was living in a 4x4 bird cage, and was being fed nothing but water, and milk filled with pita bread, and he was only*2.5 months old.*

You try and take one step forward, and your pushed 19 back.

Winston, my respect has only grown for you, thank you for being a rock solid neutral party. I forgot about this thread till just now. Thank god I didn't have to deal with the discrimination.

Guys, look at how I started the thread... Its pretty obvious that I brought up dozer in the past.

Anyways anyways, I'm not gonna let this ruin my day.

Winston I just wanted to let you know that I'm a volunteer now at animal friends. This gonna help me realize my dream of becoming a veterinarian.

Thanks for the positive feed back though. I really do appreciate it.*

You can close the thread now, I obviously got no benefit from posting about my FOSTER dog. But please don't remove my comment.

Winston
January 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
SSS I am very happy that our conversations have paid off and you are now a volunteer! thats awesome! Is this the location you are volunteering at:

http://www.kspath.org/

If you work hard you can suceed at doing anything you want in life! If that means to you you would like to be a vet then I applaud you for taking that on! Having said that someday down the road you will understand some of the reasons people make comments. The bottom line no matter whether we like was is said you have to remember the comments are made for "the love of the animal" its not personal.

I am pretty sure that people thought you were dumping this animal with no concern for its welfare and without knowing its history with you. As I mentioned you dont know from day to day on any internet site who knows you or about you and Dozer. You may have had a better response if you mentioned a little history in your opening comment.

I do agree with others and have told you so that you have made some mistakes (like the whisker thing with Giovanni) now you know and you have said you would never have done that if you understood what it could do. I guess what I am saying is that I dont think you did it willfully to hurt the cat it was more out of lack of understanding.

Now back to Dozer...is it Animals Frinds that is helping you with the surrender? Do you know what you will be doing as a volunteer yet?

I see they have a upcoming information day in a few weeks?

I only wish what is best for Dozer and hope you will make sure that happens.

Dont take offence to the comments just learn from them it will make you stronger!

Cindy

Sew-sew-steve
January 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Winston animal friends is is now called k's path.
They are the organization I'm surrendering dozer to.

As for what I'll be doing, Im willing to deal either every animal except the baboons, not exacty crazy about them... Not yet atleast.
They have a vet though, so I'll be sure to stick closest to him.

About the whiskers thing, that was a mistake, I felt bad about it, if that came up in the *comments that's just sad, people cant let that go? I learned that it was bad, I don't ever plan on repeating it. Its not like i abused the cat. Speaking of whiskers, they grew back awhile ago.

I understand that some comments are made only because of the
Love for animals... But that only goes for the people who posted and didn't know me or my principles... or beliefs... as for the others (you know who you are) it's mainly a sign of protest against the mere thought of me handling any animal. And to honest that's natural I guess, you have to go through some kind of unnecessary hate in your life, everyone does... That's why they call those people "haters" :D
I mean, there's only so much if an effect it would have made had I re-wrote the history. And on top of that, I'm not going to keep giving a full recap of the same thing every single time I want to make a thread, and I shouldn't have to because it's not practical. You are ofcourse entitled to your opinion and I respect that. And*thank you Winston for the wise words.

Anyway Winston, it's cool... I'm cool, I just wish someone could help give me feedback on my dog now lol.., what I was doing wrong, how to fix it... You know, the usual... Lol.

Love4himies
January 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Sewsewsteve.

I highly recommend you get your parent's and/or a reputable rescue's blessing and cooperation before you temporarily help all these animals. Your heart may be in the right place, but unless you are in a position to control your environment the help you provide is only temporary.

Some people may be very upset by what I am going to say, but I feel the need to say it.

Yes, you are in a place that does not put as much value on a pet as we do here in North America, Europe, Australia, etc. I believe that your country has many more pets than good homes are available, that is a very sad reality :(. By cooperation of your parents, I mean that they permit the animal to be kept in a safe environment, help you with any vet bills that may arise, including spaying and neutering, and to keep the animal until a good permanent home can be found either by yourself or with working with a rep rescue. If you can't get the necessary support to follow through to help pets then IMHO, you should have any suffering animal that comes into your possession humanely euthanized.

Just my :2cents:

Winston
January 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
From the previous thread Dozer was admitted to the RAH in Kuwait for treatment by SSS. He is still paying the medical bills he incurred trying to get this pup well again. I wasnt sure if you had read that or not. He did not pick the dog up as a stray he got it from a relative that was keeping it in a small cage without any socialization. SSS thought he could help and then ended up keeping the dog because the other person thoght it would make their family ill and wanted tot hen get rid of it.

the OP has also mentioned that they understand the enormous responsibility of a dog or cat since they have had a couple of experiences now.

I am also pleased to hear that at the very least Dozer will go to a resuce group.

L4H thanks for commenting! :thumbs up

SSS no the whiskers thing didnt come up I am just using it as an example..

Love4himies
January 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Winston, this is not only about Dozer. I believe there was a thread or two that was deleted that I didn't get a chance to read, but even if I did, it doesn't change my thoughts that he needs to either control his environment or get 100% support from those who do.

Winston
January 9th, 2011, 02:38 PM
L4H I agree its not just about Dozer but this thread was supposed to be?

I honestly think he is on the right track! i have been providing some guidance behind the scenes.

chico2
January 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I'll probably get deleted again,but here we go...as I recall you've had at least 3 kittens in your care,for a while.
One,your very first(in your avatar),is more than likely dead,another using your words,was "raped"and died,cutting the whiskers on your next kitten,is a minor ignorant mistake,compared to other things you have done.

Nobody who replied to you is a"hater"we all love animals,that's why we are on this Forum.
It was also pointed out,you are young,but you are not a child of 12,you are an adult male hopefully capable of making good decisions regarding any animal in your care.
You ask for advice for"your puppy"but end the post with saying you are giving him to a shelter:shrug:how should anyone respond to that.???

Love4himies
January 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I'll probably get deleted again,but here we go...as I recall you've had at least 3 kittens in your care,for a while.
One,your very first(in your avatar),is more than likely dead,another using your words,was "raped"and died,cutting the whiskers on your next kitten,is a minor ignorant mistake,compared to other things you have done.

Nobody who replied to you is a"hater"we all love animals,that's why we are on this Forum.
It was also pointed out,you are young,but you are not a child of 12,you are an adult male hopefully capable of making good decisions regarding any animal in your care.
You ask for advice for"your puppy"but end the post with saying you are giving him to a shelter:shrug:how should anyone respond to that.???

:thumbs up:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphu g:. This forum makes up the least amount of "haters" that I have ever come across.

GateKeeper
January 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
This thread has run it's course and will now be closed.