Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can this be so!@?@!

O>C>D>pets
January 6th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'm fostering a 15 week old kitten....I'm a tad concerned about her tho....reason being she came from a home of a very young couple whom smoke marijuana and got the kitten high...with that being said my question is can kittens/cats go through withdrawal??? This couple had the kitten since she was born and she has been exposed to the smoke since....she twitches like she's having a seizure....I work with addicts and have witnessed the tremors and shakes..so just curious if this could happen to kittens if exposed since birth or even before birth. Please if anyone has any insight please share. Thank you all in advance.

luckypenny
January 7th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I've never heard of physical withdrawal in regards to marijuana; not with humans anyways.

Does she twitch when she's sleeping or resting?

O>C>D>pets
January 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
No sorry not pysical withdrwals off of marijuana but more mental....anyhow she doesn't do it when she's asleep but i noticed it when I was holding her while she was awake. She was shaking quite a bit. Had a visit at the vet and she checked out ok. I don't know I'm just going to hope that she's going to be okay.

luckypenny
January 7th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Does she do it at any particular time of the day? For example, after she's eaten, when she wakes up, evening, etc?

O>C>D>pets
January 7th, 2011, 12:41 AM
To be honest she sleeps a lot all she has done in the last 24hrs is hide and sleep. She is a baby and sleeping lots is normal. She woke up came over to me she was meowing a lot. So I picked her up and she was shaking....at first i kind of figured she was scared....but then thinking back to when I picked her up the couple had just finished hot boxing thier bachelor suite and they admitted to getting the kitten high....I wanted to sooooo scream at those two but had to restrain myself as I was there alone....and there was three of them.

luckypenny
January 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM
How long have you had her now? Perhaps her shaking is unrelated. Hopefully some kitty folk with more experience will be by tomorrow to share some thoughts and ideas.

You're a sweetheart for taking her in :).

O>C>D>pets
January 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM
24hrs to be exact....I hope so. Thank you could not let her be homeless. I have also noticed that her butt smells foul....I wiped her with a wipe and will wait to see if the smell comes back...I was looking for worms but nothing I could see...I will take her into a vet tomorrow and see what they say.

Love4himies
January 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Why are people so incredibly dumb :wall: :mad:. Thank you for rescuing this poor kitten and hopefully they won't get another :pray:

I don't have any experience with kittens and drug withdrawal, but the shaking could be from a fever or fear. Poor thing, who knows what that poor kitten has endured :(. Sending lots of :goodvibes: for the vet visit.

O>C>D>pets
January 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
The couple were teenagers pregnant with their first child...OMG....ya let;s hope not...I can't be sure to what the poor lil thing has endured up till arriving at my home...but she is in good hands....Drug withdrawal in humans from weed can be both a mental and physical thing but all depends on the individual....Sapphire is the kittens name and I also noticed her nose was rather wet this morning...Crappy thing is vet visit has to wait til tomorrow as my car is out of commission needs a dang starter....this year has already cost me a lot of money....Hope it get's better quick....Thank you all for reading putting ur two cents in....Appr8 it a lot.

14+kitties
January 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Because you have not had this kitten for long I would think what she is experiencing is fear. But it could be something else not related to the marijuana.. It could be she is suffering from seizures. When you take her to the vet describe what you have observed and ask about the possibility of seizures.

O>C>D>pets
January 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I was thinking seizures tooo....regardless I feel sorry for the baby

rainbow
January 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I don't think it's seizures .....I think she is just one scared little kitten that came from an unstable home and now in a brand new one that she is not used to yet. Glad you are taking her to the vet and please keep us updated.