Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

So ticked off! sorry longish rant

Luvmypitgirls
January 6th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I volunteer in dog rescue, more specifically Pitbull Rescue. I get great satisfaction knowing that we are saving these dogs, and helping educate people about the breed. That being said, I love all dogs, not just Pitbulls. I have fostered and done home checks for other dog rescues as well, when they ran short on volunteers. Like all of us here, I do what I can when I can with what I have.
Now, to what has my grannypanties in a bunch. All of my friends know what I do and how important it is to me and how I take things to heart when it comes to animals. A while ago I posted about a litter of pups I took in to foster, and how attached I became to them and the effort I put into them to give them their basic obiedience before they were all adopted out. Well unfortunately one of the pups is listed on the courteousy listing page of the pitbull rescue I volunteer for. When I seen her I called the number immediately, to make sure it was her...after all how many Pitbulls are named Nelly lol. It turns out it is my baby Nelly. I say my because for all intensive purposes she was one of my babies. Due to a divorce and then a serious car accident they can no longer keep Nelly, I don't want to get into all the details, but I listened to them and I really think they are right to try and rehome her at this point. It would be in Nelly's best interest. So anyway...
I check my facebook, and there is a request from a good friend of mine to help find her a dog! Well considering my friend lives 5 minutes away from where Nelly is currently living and knowing how loving my friend is with dogs and cats, and the fact that Nelly has grown up in a condo and my friend lives in a condo AND due to the fact that my friend has experience with Pitbulls or Pit mixes I thought this was too good to be true!
I was right it was too good to be true:mad: I call my friend to tell her about Nelly, and she's all wishy washy, not sure...blah blah blah. She says she is interested but needs to sleep on it. That's fine, no problem. I call her today and I get this "pfft" attitude from her. She says she'll call later.
Why am I ticked off? Because I hate it when ppl ask me to help them find a dog, and then when I've done all the foot work and gotten all the answers to questions and so on and so forth only to be told..."oh I don't know." Why even ask if you have any misgivings or hesitations? My life is busy as it is and when I think I've got a perfect match for a forever home for a dog in need only to be told "oh I don't know", I get pissed off. Finding a dog a home is for me,something I take so seriously and to heart and it gives me such great joy. She knows this!
I posted on my Facebook back to her that "when" she's ready perhaps she could find a perfect dog thru a local rescue.
grrrrrrrr....so frustrating. So I've offered to help with Nelly myself. If I can lighten the load somehow to help them keep her, or helping them find another suitable home for her, (sigh)....

14+kitties
January 6th, 2011, 10:19 PM
:grouphug: I understand just how frustrated you are. I can't tell you the number of times I thought I had found homes for some of my adoptable kitties only to have the people back out. No surprise that the ol' "allergy" card is the #1 reason.
Thank you for all you do to help these wonderful dogs. The world needs more yous. :grouphug:

friendlygal
January 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Bless your heart for all that u do...I am sorry to hear that you are going thru such difficulty with this person. unfortuanately it seems that the animals always have to suffer....please, keep up with your hard work...the animals need u...the world needs more angels like u.:angel:

Etown_Chick
January 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Another example of why I prefer dogs over humans (not wonderful humans like LMPG!). Another way to look at it,is thank goodness she didn't take Nelly. Doggies need committed humans, not wishy-washy ones.

chico2
January 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Etown,that's true,maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

LMPG,you know how I feel about all you do and what a wonderful spokesperson you are for many unfortunate pitties and other dogs:grouphug:
I have no doubt somehow,that things will look up for Nelly in the near future,thank's to you:dog:
However I can understand how frustrating it must be for you to deal with people like your friend:frustrated:

mhikl
January 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Bless your grannypanties. But everything turned out for the best, really. It is a big job, as you well know, to be a caregiver to any four legged pet beyond basic feeding and picking up a pooh or two. Many pet owners are not up to more than these basic two necessities.

I know a girl who is so fearful of being fat, though she is, that she starves her dog and it looks terribly gaunt.

I have a neighbour who never takes his dog for a walk and it is always locked up in the back yard, all year long, and rarely do I see anyone give it any attention. (Cougar sleeps in the garage and has his own private entrance making it easier to put him to bed at night or on very cold days.) She and my Sadie are the best fence friends you could imagine. The have only ever been able to sniff and share their barks in our jaunts through the alley.

Your friend means well but after a sleep she woke up to the fact that she is not a pet owner made in heaven like you. Be thankful for her change of mind and understand she might not have had a change of heart but was smart enough and maybe even caring enough to know the dog would be better off elsewhere.

Namaste,
Luvmypitgirls

quincymycat
January 8th, 2011, 06:19 PM
No surprise that the ol' "allergy" card is the #1 reason.

I'm gonna jack this thread for just one sec....I developed allergies late in life to of all things...there is a sense of humour in whomever watches over us..to CATS!!!! I have always had and will always have cats, in fact I even got long haired ones after discovering the allergy...that is is what antihistimines are for!!!! How many people wish they could change their minds about their kids??? Can't do that..no, no! If you develop "allergies" you still got them!!
My little rant....I hate the "allergy card". :yell: :frustrated:

Thank you for all you do to help these wonderful dogs. The world needs more yous. :grouphug:

LMPG...you should be thanked and recieve all the blessings due you for what you do. If your "friend" wont say it....I will....Thank you for what you do and how you feel. It does make a difference to the many you have helped and will continue to help. :lovestruck: :thankyou:

Luvmypitgirls
January 10th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Thanks everyone, for allowing me to vent and for your support.
My friend informed me that the only reason she changed her mind, is because she doesn't think she could ever love a dog like she loved her ex boyfriends dog...:shrug:
I'm thankful she decided against taking Nelly, for Nelly deserves someone who will love her unconditionally.
I wish I could have her...:(