Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sasha's Blend

motormatic
January 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
My vet recommended that I try giving my American Bulldog Sasha's Blend to help with his joint stiffness. I emailed the company a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard back - does anyone recommend a place in Toronto to buy Sasha's Blend? I tried the usual big box stores but they don't carry it.

I'd also be interested in hearing opinions on it - I read through the company website and it sounds great, but it's always nice to get recommendations from fellow pet owners with similar experience.

Dozer (formerly Mason) is around 8 or 9 and has hip displaysia. He gets a cartrophen shot from the vet every three weeks and according to his foster mom (I just adopted him in December) it has been helping out a lot. I also give him glucosamine.

Any advice or input would be great!

(I know you all like pictures so here he is trying to stuff himself into a tiny bed :laughing:)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs242.snc4/39463_10150370496355161_593840160_16278781_3146192 _n.jpg

Winston
January 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hey motormatic I have my boy Winston on Sashas Blend. I started it at the end of November after picking it up at Woofstock. I spoke to the mfgr who was onsite. I voiced my concern about ordering there and then not being able to get it. He told me its available at many vets offices and they charge about $20.00 more than the company. He also mentioned that if I had trouble getting it I could order it from Sashas Blend directly and they would ship it for around $10.00.

I bought the 100 gm container and it is just about finished. I have been so busy I have not had a chance to look into getting another jar yet bt will have to very soon.

As for the product itself I am very very happy with it. The company told me I should notice a difference within 5 days and they were right on the money! It has helped alot..My boy is 11 years old and is slowing down. The things I noticed the most are that he can get up and down much quicker. Not so much of a delay going into a down position. He seems to have alot more energy all the way around. The other thing is his coat seems to have improved slightly. I am thinking that s because of the fish ingrediants inthe product.

If you like I will see what I can find out for you as to where to get it.

Cindy

motormatic
January 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Cindy, amazing to hear of a difference in such a short time!

It really sounds like something that could make a difference in the old boys life. He's quite slow getting up, and while it's not terrible yet, I'd like to make sure he's as comfortable as possible.

If you do find a reliable source for Sasha's Blend please do let me know, that would be great!

Thanks!

mastifflover
January 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
http://well.ca/products/sashas-blend-powder_24818.html
they offer free shipping. I have Clark on a product called Joint by Biologic Vet it is more preventive at this stage but he has some issues with stiffness and this helps a lot
Mason looks like he is settling rather nicely. He is very handsome

pbpatti
January 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Someone on another thread here said that you can get Sashas Blend from Petpharm...I just took a look and yes they offer it there. patti

shirley1011
January 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I just bought mine from my vet...the 250 g for $80.00 which is about the same at Petpharm after you add in the shipping.

Chris21711
January 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I emailed the company twice and haven't heard back from them...If your Vet recommended it, they would be able to order it no problem.

I use "Recovery SA"...it seems more available, but I was willing to try "Sasha's Blend" to see if I noticed any difference.

Winston
January 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Well Motormatic I found some info out for you.

I deal with a cat only clinic at the moment and dont have a new vet for my dog. The cat clinic I deal with will not sell it to me because it is for my dog and not my cat??? Long story short I contacted the number on the website for the product and they advised me that you can purchase it at most Global Ryan Petstores in the Toronto area or most vets office's. In the Hamilton area I found 1 vet that will allow me to buy it from them and they want 102.56 for the 250ml jar.

I contacted Tammy @ this address & number and she was so helpful!

Centaur VA Animal Health
3-503 Imperial Rd. N.
Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1H 6T9.
Toll free: 1 - 800 - 510 - 8864

Or you could give the Global Ryan stores near you a call and see if they carry it.

If you need anything else let me know.

shirley1011
January 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wow $102....that is $20.00 more than my vet but then I find our vet is pretty reasonable as a country vet goes!
Is Global Ryan...just the regular Global Pet Stores?..

Chris21711
January 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Wow $102....that is $20.00 more than my vet but then I find our vet is pretty reasonable as a country vet goes!
Is Global Ryan...just the regular Global Pet Stores?..

It's the same company Shirley.

Price is a bit steep for me, I'll stick with the Recovery. Skip was diagnosed with heart disease recently and the meds to treat his heart will cost approx $250 a month :yell:....He isn't experiencing any problems in particular.....old age, bit of a tricky back leg. He has no trouble getting up or down.

From what Winston says, it has done wonders for Winston :thumbs up

shirley1011
January 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Our neighbours just opened a Global in Brooklin so I'll have to hit them up for my friendly neighbour discount they said we could have!

Goldfields
January 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
motormatic, $80 is what it costs here in Australia now and that's $79.30 Canadian. I would not like to be paying $20 extra. I've had dogs on it for years and it is brilliant. I put them onto a cheaper similar product as a trial but am now swapping back. I think this is when I'll really know which is the better of the two. Dozer is a beautiful looking dog, pity that bed wasn't just a tiny bit bigger , he'd have got that paw in as well. LOL.

Winston
January 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I know I was shocked at the price! So I think I am going to look at Petpharm. They show it for 70.00 plus shipping for the 250gm size.

Shirley is that where you got yours?

Chris21711
January 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I guess there is HST also to be factored Winston.......:censored: tax grabber :frustrated:

Winston
January 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I hear ya! %^$#ards! :D

Chris21711
January 6th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I hear ya! %^$#ards! :D

:laughing::laughing:

shirley1011
January 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
No Winston, got mine from Claremont Vetrinary ...she had him on
Previcox but suggested getting him onto Sasha's Blend...so we will see in a few days.
I was surprised her price after seeing it on petpharm at $70.00 plus shipping...I thought the vet would be way more!

motormatic
January 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks all for your input! I figure it's worth a try. I'm right near a Global so will head over there after work!

Winston
January 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Motormatic just thought I would update you on Sashas Blend...Turns out petpharm is now located in Hamilton. I was able to walk a few blocks from work and pick it up myself. So without shipping it came to $79.52 for 250g

I paid $45.00 for 100g at the dog show. So by far this is the best price I could find around!

Good Luck