Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little Miss Hussy Cat!!

pattymac
January 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Ok so even though we thought Noella was only 3 months old...something tells me she's a bit older than that!

So last night, she starts with what I can describe as trilling, amazing how long she can hold a note for and rolling around and trying to get the boys' attention. So of course, none of the old men here know what the heck she's doing other than being a PITA!! Could this be a first heat?! Little poop!

So after a few hours of this and Bobee and Nino and Coco all get progressively po'd and keeping me awake. I gatherered up her stuff and put her in the porch for the night. I was worried that Nino might get a little too snarky and bite her! He's got huge canines!

So after all these years, this is my first real experience with a little girlie in heat. Even my dogs all got spayed before their first heat. I guess she'll be going in for her spay a little earlier! I can't see any sign of bleeding, but from what I've heard sounds and looks like she's in heat. I figure if she starts being too much of a PITA, it's better for her in the porch rather than the boys ganging up on her! Yes, porch is heated and there's her food, bed and litter box.

Love4himies
January 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Yup, sounds like she is in heat. Hopefully she won't get outside :eek: :pray:

pattymac
January 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Nope, she won't get that chance. When I'm letting the dog out, through the porch, she goes in the bathroom for a few minutes.

I guess the vet can give hormone shots for it, from what I read. Don't think I want to do that though. Oh well, she needs her booster this month, so I guess I can ask the vet when to get her done.

Hopefully Bobee doesn't get too po'd at her! Good lord, how do breeders deal with it! Once a few years ago, I thought it might be interesting to get into breeding Manx (not many breeders left) umm more than 1 female in heat...egads, I'd go nuts!

Fortunately she doesn't howl and her trilling is quite cute. I'm calling the vet today, just to see if there's anything they can suggest so I can keep the peace around here! Bobee seems to be her main target right now and I don't think he's amused!!

catlover2
January 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Females in heat don't have a bloody discharge like a dog, tho they may have some clear discharge. She may also spray like a tom cat. Make an appointment to have her spayed in about 10 days. Your vet can do the booster at the same time. She may come back into heat in as little time as 2 weeks. She's definitely older than 3 mos., more than likely 8 or 9 mos. tho some females (especially Siamese) can come into heat at 6 mos. Yes, you're gong to hear lots of trilling and calling until she comes out of heat.

pattymac
January 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I found that info, fortunately. So far no spraying. Yup, gonna call the vet's in about 2 weeks to get her all fixed up. Played with her for a while and that seemed to help, now she's sleeping..phew!

I think if she was to come back into heat that fast, Bobee would pack his bags and leave home!! Guess it's good that I have 3 boys she divides her attention among the 3 of them. They are being really good considering they've never had to put up with this, let alone her being a kitten.

sugarcatmom
January 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
OMG I totally feel for you! I too had the joy of experiencing a feline in heat last fall and it was torturous. She was a Siamese no less, so it was extra "special" (ie loud). I have a geriatric male cat that was so completely disgusted with her unrelenting pursuit that I thought he would never get along with her again, but thankfully she's much more reasonable after being spayed. They're *almost* buddies now.

One thing, I wouldn't get her vaccinated at the same time that she's spayed. It's a pretty hefty assault on her immune system to have to deal with all of that at once. Either get her shots a couple weeks before or a couple weeks after her surgery. I know vets do them together all the time, and in the case of ferals one doesn't have the option, but if you can keep it separate, that's just so much better for the cat.

pattymac
January 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
She seems to have quieted down! Acting more like her normal little self. Either she's been in heat for awhile and we didn't really notice, but she was doing the whole bum in the air etc but this afternoon she had a good nap on the bed with Bobee and then woke up and came and helped me with the dishes. She's stopped harassing Coco, and isn't trilling anymore. Interesting, see how she is tonight.

Good point on doing everything together. I will set up a seperate appt for her shots. They'll be the last ones she gets anyway, except maybe rabies but we'll see about that. I'm still convinced that the shots are what shortened my Nikki's life. He developed kidney failure by the time he was 11. I was one of those who thought they should have shots every year, I've since changed my views on that.

Koteburo
January 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
haha the whole bum in the air http://www.anikaos.com/041-msn_red_fox_smilies/fox_emoticons/fox_emoticons-24.gif haha!
The kitty in my avatar pic is Yoshimi and I went through a loooong heat season with her. She is particularly loud without being in heat so imagine. I got her while she was pregnant and the heat caught up with me before the spaying because she was nursing.

pattymac
January 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I think she's done!! Phew!! Last night she was still a bit obnoxious with the boys so I figured ok she seems to be quieting down and she was her usual little self all day. No calling and she was actually playing instead of putting the moves on her brothers. She's asleep right now and the last few nights, the last thing she seemed to want to do was sleep.

So calling the vet on Monday!! One heat was enough for me to go through!!

She actually got old man Coco running around a bit today. She's sooo funny when she tried to get the grumpy old men to play