Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Urinating on everything

Elle47
January 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have a 7 year old Border Collie and a 1 1/2 year old Papillon. I went on vacation for 10 days and my 23yr old step son stayed with the dogs. We came home to a house filled with pee. I was sick. It took us hours to get the house clean. Anyhow I have been home now for just over a week and I can't get them to stop peeing in the house. They will not stay outside alone. I work part time and put the papillon in a cage but I'm afraid the border collie will hurt himself if I get one for him. He has never been caged. Any advice?

BenMax
January 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM
You must start all over in house breaking them. Good news is that it will be easier.

It is imperative that you physically go outside with them. Take them for walks, and exercise them. When they do use the great outdoors, praise them. Remember that punishing them when they have mishaps only sets things back.

In short go back to 101 house breaking.

friendlygal
January 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
i had a dog trainer tell me to put bells on the back door, then every time the dog needed to go out, the bells would ring...finally my dog caught on that when he had to go out, he would either jump up and scratch at the bells with his paws, or nudge them with his nose to ring the bells. then when he came back in, we would reward him with a couple pieces of food, and lots of praise. our puppy who was only 12 weeks old caught on within 1-2 wks. it worked out great. just make sure u have lots of patience. don't get angry when they have accidents, otherwise they will be scared to tell u when they have to go outside, because they will think u are going to yell at them for telling u they have to go outside, so they will just sneak off somewhere and hide and pee/poop. if they have an accident, say NO once (make sure this is done immediately after they do it, since they forget about it right after they have done it), then clean it up, and forget about it. don't make a huge deal about it, just remain very matter of fact. make sure to clean it with a product that gets the smell out so that they dont keep going back to that spot. good luck, just give them time.:)

Elle47
January 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do the bell thing already and they do use it. The problem is when I am not home so I can't catch them in the act. If I don't catch them doing it and I find it hours later when I get home how do I correct it? They are only alone for about three hours at a time. Boy they mused have been PISSSSED at me for going on vacation. (pun intended lol).:dog:

luckypenny
January 5th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Elle, are you dogs neutered by any chance? This sounds more like marking behavior rather than a simple issue with housetraining. Could your son have had any friends over with their dogs while you were gone?

What are you using to clean?

friendlygal
January 5th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Good point Luckypenny! :thumbs up

Elle47
January 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yes they are both neutered, and no he did not have anyone over. I don't know what else to do. My husband is talking about getting rid of them if I don't get it under control and that would break my heart as well as my 8 year old son's. No my husband is not mean we just cant afford to replace everything we own because of this. I clean it with bleach. does anyone have any better suggestions.We are at our wits end. We came home to 12 spots today.

kigndano
January 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
crate training

google it.

buy natures miracle to clean the spots up

Elle47
January 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM
crate training

google it.

buy natures miracle to clean the spots up

As I mentioned my husband is NOT mean. I also mentioned that we are using a crate. My husband came home today and said "we can't get rid of them, it would be like getting rid of a child". He is going out tomorrow to get a doggie door. I came on here for advice NOT criticism. I was always told if you don't have anything nice to say keep your mouth SHUT!!! I will however take your suggestion and try natures miracle.

Thank you for deleting the negative remarks.

God Bless You

mona_b
January 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Just a few of questions. Is this something new that they are doing or have they been doing it before you went on vaccation?

Are you sure the step son was taking them out when he should have been?

Is it both dogs doing it?

I wouldn't use bleach. You can use Natures Miracle. But what I have used is a product called Knok Out. It is alot better then Natures Miracle. There is a product called Get Serious. It actually not only removes the stains, it gets rid of the dogs pheromones. It's the chemical(scent) the dog secretes in their urine. So when you get rid of that, the dog doesn't go back to that spot as that scent is not there. My daughter has used this with her pup when he has the odd accident.

marko
January 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
There is ZERO reason for name calling here (or anywhere).

Please choose to help the OP and be polite or don't post. (Please don't reply to this comment). Thanks in advance - Marko

I wouldn't use bleach. You can use Natures Miracle. But what I have used is a product called Knok Out. It is alot better then Natures Miracle. There is a product called Get Serious. It asctually not only removes the stains, it gets rid of the dogs pheromones. It's the chemical(scent) the sogd secrete in their urine. So when you get rid of that, the dog doesn't go back to that spot as that scent is not there. My daughter has used this with her pup when he has the odd accident.

awesome additional info Mona_b - Thx!

mona_b
January 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
awesome additional info Mona_b - Thx!

Thanks Marko. :)

Your very welcome. Just sharing some knowledge.:D

TeriM
January 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
You can also consider tethering the dogs to you while you are in the house. That goes back to regular potty training and will allow you to interupt any peeing behaviours before they happen. Go back to rewarding outside peeing as well.

I wonder if perhaps they were left alone a lot while you were away and this is causing a bit of seperation anxiety now when you leave. Years ago my parents left my brother to look after the dog while they were away but he was out a lot so the dog was alone much much more then normal. After that unless it was regular times for them to be out (a few hours that were normal between their work schedule) he would damage the bathroom door every time :shrug:. They had to drop him at my grams house if they left.