Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heat after spaying.

GoreyDemented
January 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I posted a thread months ago regarding worrying about my cat's, Toby, upcoming spaying procedure. She healed up well and is mostly a lovely lady.

Lately, and by lately I mean the last month, she has started going into heat again. She's had two heat cycles now, 2 weeks apart. She has become even more vocal then before she was spayed. I am concerned because I was under the impression spaying her would stop that behaviour.

Also, she's starting to drive me crazy. She wakes me up super early with her yowling. Should I take her to the vet? I'm a poor student but I'll do what is right for my pets.

Thank you!

14+kitties
January 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
IMO I would be contacting the vet where she was spayed and asking for a recheck. It is possible that a small section of tissue was missed during surgery and that is what is causing her to act this way. They will have to re-spay her if that is the case. Was she in heat when she was spayed?
A few other things to consider - Has she had a complete health check lately? She may have something else bothering her that you are taking as a heat cycle but isn't. How old is she? Had she had a heat cycle or two before being spayed? It could be remembered behaviour from before the spay. 'Tis the season when cats would normally start to have amorous feelings. If it is learned behaviour then you may have to work on methods to correct. Is she exhibiting any other of the telltale signs of heat? Tail cocked to one side; butt up in the air while kneading with her back feet; rolling all over the floor; increased affection; etc. Is she indoor/outdoor and has been cooped up lately because of the weather. (Not that I advocate letting a cat outdoors anyway) These are all things to take into consideration.
I have one of my catty cats who is currently displaying signs of heat. She is super affectionate and displaying other of the signs of estrous as well. I believe with her it is the time of year and the uncommonly warm weather we are having.

GoreyDemented
January 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
She is about 4-6 years old. She was a rescue, so I'm not sure how old she truly is. When I got her, I took her to the vet to find out she was pregnant. She had 5 babies and we rehoused 4.

She had a heat cycle after she weaned and I waited until that was finished before I took her in to be spayed. So, she wasn't in heat when she was spayed. She was also fine for about 3 months. The heat cycle, or what I believe to be heat cycle, started just within this month.

She had previously been mistreated and was allowed outdoors. She is now an indoor cat and seems to enjoy it. She never bolts for the door. She sleeps with me. She is very happy and looks MUCH healthier in general than when I got her.

I guess I'll just take her in. I'd rather know for sure. I'd prefer for her not to have another surgery but I'll take the vet's advice.

14+kitties
January 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
She is about 4-6 years old. She was a rescue, so I'm not sure how old she truly is. When I got her, I took her to the vet to find out she was pregnant. She had 5 babies and we rehoused 4.

You rehomed 4. So you kept the other? Is it by chance a male who is not neutered yet?

I just checked your "about me". Is your youngest male fixed yet? If not he should be. That may stop Toby's acting out. She could be reacting to instinct and an intact male being around her. It does not matter if it is her son.

GoreyDemented
January 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have two boys who are both neutered. I got Kilgor neutered a little before 6 months and he is now almost a year. Tokie was neutered before we even found Toby.