Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how do you do pets and work?

raingirl
September 17th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I have been posting in the other forums about how I want to get a dog.

I'm just curious how you all do it..with work...and life..etc.

I have decided I will be putting off getting a dog for a few months at least, maybe until the new year.

My job has taken a turn for the worse. We have 17 insurance adjusters in our department (we handle claims for auto injuries), and we were barely getting by with all of us..super stressful. Well, 2 quit at the beginning of september, one went on emergency maternity leave as of today, and another broke his arm yesterday that is going to require extensive surgery. That means about 400 files that need be reassigned for handling!! I already have over 130 files...and almost 200 claimants...with the lawyers, and clinics..the phone calls...I come home in tears most days..I don't sleep..I've lost my apetite...

I just don't think getting a dog would be the best right now.

I'm sorry I'm venting..I've only been posting here for a few weeks, but I need to get this out and I can't exactly vent to my co-workers as we are all in the same boat...

Writing4Fun
September 17th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Oh, honey, you can vent to me any time you like. ;) I soooo totally understand! I used to work in Insurance as well (group Life & Health). Quite a few years back, our little department had 2 girls handling the French-speaking accounts. They both went off on mat leave at the same time. :eek: Since I was the only one on my team who was even remotely bilingual, I got all of their files, along with a few English clients - just to keep me in touch with that group of salespeople. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, how did I used to to it? Shift work. I worked in an office. Hubby is a machinist by trade, so he's usually working swing shifts. Also, the dog we had back then adjusted unbelievably well to our situation (we didn't have kids then, so she was treated as our "first-born" :p ). She was the absolute perfect fit for the two of us - I believe it was truly divine intervention that brough her to us! :D

But ... hmmm ... if your job is affecting you that badly, maybe it's time for a change? The insurance industry is huge, and I know that, despite what we think, we're all pretty much interchangeable to our employers. :rolleyes: What part of town do you work in?

raingirl
September 17th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I've been seriously considering moving on for a while now. I've been doing this for 3 years. Everyone says that AB adjusters burn out in five, and I always laughed at them because I'm super organized and said that would never happen to me...well, I was wrong!!

I was staying because we had a great group of people here, and it was fun. I really like most of the people who WERE here. But now most of my friends have moved on, and the new people in our department moved from damage claims in our office, and I have to say that management couldn't have chosen worse people for the job!! One of my friends went back to her home country, another decided to take a european tour, and the other is having a baby...there are only 3 of us now..the rest are so-so people.

PLus, because the government changed the legislation last october, we have had almost three times more work! I love the job..as long as i'm on top of things, but it has gotten WAY OF OUT HAND!!

I moved in August, so I have yet to track down my old resume which is burned somewhere on a CDROM. This is my first REAL job ever, so I have to add to my resume all the training and seminars and courses I've taken in the last 3 years.

I know it wouldn't be hard to find another job in insurance, but I'm not sure I want to do Insurance anymore.

I'm actually trained as an anthropologist/archaeologist!!! But there are no jobs in that industry. I'm an investigator by nature (that's why I'm here researching dogs!!). I like ANY job that has investigation involved. In want to be involved more in fraud investigation..but I need more experience. I wish i could find a company who would take me on as a SIU trainee..that would be soooo cool.

melanie
September 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM
sounds to me like your a real smart lady and would succede at anything you put yoru mind to. i have only read the above posts but from what i read you seem to have skills to perform many positions and have a good brain.
what i suggest is this-
sit down and write down everything you like, enjoy, want to do with your life, your passions, etc. look carefully at this list and see if you can think of any jobs or careers that go with your wishes. i know you can do it and i hardly know you, so dont ever doubt your abilities, you can make your life anything you want it to be, you can do anything you want and can be anything you want.
now get up, roar at the top of your lungs and scream 'i hold my destiny, i design my destiny' hey felt good didnt it.
now you get out there ,and make your world all you want it to be. and you are effecient and well organised and that is a very useful and important skill. now go get em lady:D :D :D
life is not a dress rehersal, use it wisley :D

wAggie
September 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
well, let's start here:

since I never wanted to live alone, i got Chocolate.

and bc I didnt want Chocolate home alone when i was at work/school, i got him 2 kittens... then they went, and now he's got a dog companion, Honey. :D

if I'm not home, he's got Honey to mess around w.... BUT here's the "catch," dogs, like cats, SLEEP during the day... lmao

(i'm watching mine right now, it's hilarious!)

they get into a routine, YOUR routine. when ur not home, it's chill time. tho, if u get a younger dog/puppy, *ahem* it's "destruction" time.

work/school and dog life is DEfinitely manageable. make sure u keep ur priorities in line and u'll do FINE. :D

splendid!

raingirl
September 20th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks wAggie,

I guess it is possible to juggle it all.

Today at work I got another...maybe a foot of mail. I got about 9 new files on friday from an adjuster who went on emergency maternity leave. That's fine..but these are intense files, harder than most of the files I have right now.

Now I have.. 130 active files...probably 200 claimants..about 400 peices of mail right now...and my phone won't stop ringing!!

ack....

:mad:

Writing4Fun
September 20th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Ever feel like this (hope this comes through ok)??

GsdDiamond
September 20th, 2004, 02:47 PM
The nice thing is that you can always talk to your little puppy and tell him/her how your day went. Not only can petting a dog/cat make your blood pressure go down, but telling them what's on your mind can also be very stress relieving. I know you already know this...but just remember...your little addition is never to feel the brunt of your stress. Play with them, fuss them up lots. You'll be surprised how much better you feel in the long run.

wAggie
September 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
EXXXXXXXXXactly!!

that's what pets to humans! (among plenty of other things) :D :D

moontamara
September 20th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Raingirl, I agree with the others who say that pets are very calming and helpful, but I also think you're right to delay getting a puppy. Dogs may help you wind down, but puppies although cute and sweet and cuddly and loveable, are also a ton of frustration, which you obviously don't need right now. I'm lucky to be home with my puppy these days, and he still drives me up the wall sometimes (although he's getting sweeter and less crazy by the day!)

Sounds like your job is unreasonably hard on you. I hope you find a way to make your job situation better (and then get a lovely addition to your life!).

Good luck!!!!

glasslass
September 20th, 2004, 08:00 PM
When you're ready for a pet, you'll know. The urge will be unresistable! Probably like wanting a baby! Yeah, just like that! Maybe an older dog ?

wAggie
September 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
omggggggggg, dont wait til the urge!! it's sooooooo unbareable :(

esp when u NEED that dog... and it's already adopted by another, etc...

feel our ur timing, ur schedule, and start planning.

Shelby
September 20th, 2004, 09:56 PM
It's amazing how much time you can always seem to find for your puppy. And there is nothing better than coming home to them, especially when you've had a stressful day, they are ALWAYS so happy to see you, you can't not be in a good mood when they greet you. Wilson and Izzy run around in circles when we come home, and Wilson howls at you until you let him in.
Once you decide that you have the lifestyle for a puppy, you won't regret it, and you'll be thinking "why didn't I do this earlier?".
I hope your job gets better, just remember, that it's only a job, you'll always be able to get another one, your health is more important!

moontamara
September 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM
I would have to agree that there is nothing nicer to come home to than an obedient loving pet who hasn't caused any mischief while you were gone, but there isn't much worse than coming home to an overactive puppy who has pooped and peed all over your house and torn up your sofa after escaping from his crate! :eek: (Actually, when my puppy escaped from his crate during his first month, all he did was pee all over and shred some Kleenex so it wasn't that bad but I've heard some terrible stories here).

Glasslass suggests an older dog, and I agree -- definitely more feasible at this time than a puppy!! :)

But it is a little strange to me that almost everyone is enouraging Raingirl to go ahead and get a new pet now even though she's busy, since it's seems like the opposite of what we tell so many others. :confused: When I was still in classes and away from the house for up to 6 hours at the most, it was suggested to me that I try to spend more time at home or get a dog walker (neither was possible for me), as even that was too long to be away from him according to many on this forum. I don't know if I agree or not, but I do know that things seem to be better now that my hours are more flexible and I'm usually at home.

Raingirl, how many hours will your pet have to be alone and if it's a full day, can you afford a dog walker? If I remember correctly, you live in an apartment building so buying more pets to keep your dog company won't be a likely option, right?

No one really knows the situation as well as you do, Raingirl, and from everything I've read from you, you will make the right choice. ;) Also, I'm sure any puppy you do get will be well taken care of. I just want to present the other side (not just for you, but for others who stumble on this thread).

More than anything, I hope you find a better working situation and then you'll be able to enjoy life and your pet so much more!!! :D

GsdDiamond
September 21st, 2004, 08:41 AM
I agree with the others here. While it is nice to have someone to play with and talk to, I remember the VERY frustrating days with Diamond. There were days that I thought to myself "Why in hell did I ever want a little puppy? All she does is pee inside!" I thought I was going to go crazy. It's better now that she's older, but if you're not ready for a little one, don't do it yet. Wait until you're not as stressed and have more free time.

If you need a more immediate stress release, why not get a fish tank? I remember many days of watching my Platty and Molly fish swimming around. Very soothing.

Writing4Fun
September 21st, 2004, 08:51 AM
GsdDiamond - LOL! When the TV in our living room died, we replaced it with an aquarium. My dad was visiting one day, sat in front of it and said he was watching The Discovery Channel!! :D